TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Another can't shell solid problem
Read 397 times
* August 03, 2018, 07:32:38 AM
Hi,

I have a complex solid that I want to shell to a 1mm thickness. I'd be happy if it were just a hollow form 1mm thick. Then I would 3D subtract to top and bottom and add the rest of the bits I need. When I try to do the shell solid, It doesn't seem to treat this drawing as a single shape and only shells pieces of it. The cone section disappears all together. My expectation was I would click on the shape and have a hollow form 1mm thick.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Joel

* August 03, 2018, 09:47:49 AM
There are some problems with this drawing, but I was able to fix it. Let us know which TCad version are you running and I'll post the modified file.

Henry H

* August 03, 2018, 09:55:59 AM
This is probably completely different to what Henry sorted,  but as I spent a bit of time playing with it I thought I'd post it anyway.  May not be totally accurate, but its pretty close.

Henry.  The file was in v2017 format (24.0.62.2)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:58:53 AM by Andy H »

* August 03, 2018, 10:27:10 AM
I am running Pro Platinum 2017.

So the issue is more that I need to be more careful about assembling my shapes and fit.

Andys pic is what I'm looking for in the end.

Henry, if you have a fixed version I can continue with, that would be great.

Thanks for the help!

* August 03, 2018, 11:36:51 AM
Hi,

I think I got this sorted out and a working model. Learned that when you shell something, the model becomes the inner dimension.

Thanks again for the help

Joel

* August 03, 2018, 11:52:07 AM
Hi Joel,

If you use a negative number in your shell dimension it will shell inwards.

Ed

* August 03, 2018, 12:43:04 PM
Hi,

I think I got this sorted out and a working model. Learned that when you shell something, the model becomes the inner dimension.

Thanks again for the help

Joel

Yup, you've got it.

Henry H

* August 03, 2018, 02:00:39 PM
OK, so I can shell in both directions, good to know.

Thanks Andy, Ed, Henry!!