TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Simple question STL Files
Read 293 times
* July 22, 2018, 07:44:56 PM
I'm having a problem with editing and converting in my current 3D cad to do anything useful with the file.  Really cann't mod or do anything with it.  I like to mod some things do the fact my artist side sucks.  But it gotten to a point in with I either have spent 350+ for extra so I can convert stl into a useable model for my program or hunt down a program to do my modeling on.  This just a hobby if I make the item my program is fine for that .  But I want know can turbocad convert and be able mod the items  one item 130k stl I want clean it up easy.  What level of cad would it need be have tools can do that.

* July 22, 2018, 11:24:37 PM
Use Meshmixer which is a free program specially designed to edit STLs. Get it from http://www.meshmixer.com/download.html

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* July 27, 2018, 11:11:52 PM
That depends what you mean by "clean up".  TC edits meshes well, but it doesn't make them CAD objects or give them physics, so it doesn't fillet edges or shell them without converting them to solids.  Conversion to solids is a major choke point and probably limited to objects with fewer than, say, 20K facets, probably less in practical terms, and once that's done, the object isn't editable like a mesh would be.  If meshes have got lots of triangles, things slow down a lot, but TC does proper mesh booleans pretty well, so volume meshes add, subtract and intersect their volumes, and you can slice them up and edit portions independently to speed things up and then combine the parts again, and it's possible to create offsets to give meshes shell thickness.  But TC doesn't sculpt mesh surfaces like Meshmixer or Dilay, it's utilitarian editing, not freeform creative process, and if you've performed mesh editing on your .stl object, your new object probably doesn't conform to the .stl format anymore, because that has pretty strict rules about how many facets can share edges and vertices.   Meshmixer and Netfabb can repair things, but I've heard people blame TC for not producing a true .stl after they've imported one and hacked it about. 
If you mean that your object is 130K facets, I think that that's going to be a big ask of any app, and I don't think any retail CAD app is good for that.  There are apps that convert meshes into nurb objects, but many require the meshes to be "retopologised", converted from triangle-dominated to quadrilateral-dominated for nurb conversion to work.