TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Odd Layer interaction
Read 416 times
* July 17, 2018, 11:34:58 AM
I'm running TurboCad 2017 on Win10. My drawing has many layers including one called "ground traces". I drew a single-sided circuit board and then saved it as a block. Then I put down two of these blocks to create the artwork. To print just the component ID and component outlines, I turn off many layers including ground traces. Almost always this makes all layers invisible. Once in a while, it works. I have tried playing with layers while editing the block and in the "two up" artwork. Same problem. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

* July 17, 2018, 11:52:52 AM
If the Block comprises more than one Layer, I think that's the cause of your problem; and I suspect that the problem will go away if you Explode each instance of the Block in your drawing.

Henry H

July 17, 2018, 10:58:54 PM
One problem you will encounter is that, if the various objects comprising the Block were on different Layers when the Block was created, each of those Layers will have to be visible to avoid visibility problems.

It has been my habit to place all objects on Layer 0 before making a Block out of them.  Once placed, they can be moved to other Layers.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

July 17, 2018, 11:23:25 PM
Hi Rick,

you don't say which version of TurboCAD 2017 you're using.
However, if you're perhaps using Platinum Pro. and want to use multiple layers in your blocks, then look at xrefs as a means of achieving this.
Xrefs are essentially a more sophisticated block and are useful for switching on/off layers in your main drawing.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* July 18, 2018, 03:40:16 AM
and just to confuse you.
I break all the above rules.
 I use different layers in a block but everything is on a dedicated layer and I use the same system for all my drawings - so that I don't get confused.
There are a few reasons for this
 I do want to hide layers in different viewports.
to control the colour or linetype of different elements in blocks without having to find the blocks and edit them.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* July 18, 2018, 06:53:25 AM
If the Block comprises more than one Layer, I think that's the cause of your problem; and I suspect that the problem will go away if you Explode each instance of the Block in your drawing.

Henry H

Henry,

Thank you! That solved my problem.

Rick

* July 18, 2018, 06:59:16 AM
One problem you will encounter is that, if the various objects comprising the Block were on different Layers when the Block was created, each of those Layers will have to be visible to avoid visibility problems.

It has been my habit to place all objects on Layer 0 before making a Block out of them.  Once placed, they can be moved to other Layers.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Rick

* July 18, 2018, 07:02:42 AM
Hi Rick,

you don't say which version of TurboCAD 2017 you're using.
However, if you're perhaps using Platinum Pro. and want to use multiple layers in your blocks, then look at xrefs as a means of achieving this.
Xrefs are essentially a more sophisticated block and are useful for switching on/off layers in your main drawing.

Regards Tim

Tim,

I'm running TuboCAD Designer 2017. Happily, Henry figured this odd behavior out.

Thanks for your help,

Rick