TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

spline won't extrude
Read 199 times
July 03, 2018, 10:30:02 AM
I am trying to extrude this letter "R". It's made up of 3 splines, 2 polylines and 1 line. I have gone into edit mode and looked for errant control points and can find none. It will not extrude, even though TC lets me select the shape. What am I missing?

Brian Yates
TCPro plat v18.2
TCPro plat 2016
Windows 10
GeForce GTX 950

July 03, 2018, 11:35:25 AM
Hi Brian,

I'd be inclined to simplify, by redrawing with fewer nodes.
It might help to not mix different objects.
Use join polyline?
As is, it will, eventually, extrude for me . . with patience.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:50:28 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* July 03, 2018, 01:18:50 PM
A node didn't quite make the required snap,  see attached.

To see what happens - I assume you are using compound profile, Select extrude, select the R, right click and select 'finish selection of profile',  this will extrude as a sheet object, because TC cannot create a closed shape, and thus not a solid,   editing the node in the attached will allow solid extrusion.

I hate to disagree with Tim, but never use Join polyline on a spline or you get loads of polyline nodes. 

## Edit ##  Forgot to add, I totally agree with Tim, you don't kneed that many nodes to depict the curves, less nodes will give much smoother curves   ## End Edit ##
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:20:24 PM by Andy H »

July 03, 2018, 02:02:16 PM
A node didn't quite make the required snap,  see attached.

To see what happens - I assume you are using compound profile, Select extrude, select the R, right click and select 'finish selection of profile',  this will extrude as a sheet object, because TC cannot create a closed shape, and thus not a solid,   editing the node in the attached will allow solid extrusion.

I hate to disagree with Tim, but never use Join polyline on a spline or you get loads of polyline nodes.

yes indeed!  ;D

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

July 03, 2018, 07:47:19 PM
Thanks for finding the problem. Now the question is, how did the snap miss the end of the line? This is real basic functionality that should work 100% of the time.

Brian Yates
TCPro plat v18.2
TCPro plat 2016
Windows 10
GeForce GTX 950