TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Smoothing an STL file?
Read 190 times
June 29, 2018, 02:06:32 AM
I need some advice.

The attached image and file is a portion of an STL object (hand-carved wooden sunglass frame).

As can be seen, the quality is poor (gaps, rough surfaces, etc.).  I want to smooth everything without losing the 'actual' details (hole sizes, width & thickness, channel size, etc.).

MeshLab's tools are so poorly documented that I have not been able use them to as needed.

If I were to use TurboCAD, how would I go about smoothing everything?  Should I convert to SMesh instead of working on the TC Surface model?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 30, 2018, 06:28:30 AM
I'd "retopologise" the scan, a word that subdivision modellers use to describe returning subD models, which become progressively more triangular-faced as they're developed, to a quad-dominant approximation.  Approximation because they appear very similar, but the vertices of the quad model lie on the faces of the subD model, so none of the surfaces actually coincide, and the quad structure is less busy with fewer points, and more amenable to smoothing and rebuilding with subdivision, or conversion to nurbs if you want to try that.   Scanned surfaces are great guides to proportion and relative position of features, but they're random triangulated meshes, and I've never had a scanned surface that was actual usable geometry out of the box, after using Meshlab to remove "outliers" and refilling the resulting holes, improving smoothness, or any other way. 
TC's good for building new surfaces over a scanned mesh, but I don't know of a way of making scans really usable as geometry in TC, or any other general CAD app.