TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Create weld / wedge / fillet like
Read 347 times
* August 20, 2018, 12:51:05 PM
Gents, long time away from TC. Must admit I became tired of all bugs.

But I will try again.. So I little back to learning..

I need to make a weld like for a 3d printer project. I wanna have a smoothe rounded weld like connection between base and tube.

See terrible photo and add a lot of guessing :-) For what I mean. But just try think as i was welding tube to base.

Best regards
NeverStop

* August 20, 2018, 03:04:13 PM
3D Fillet is the usual way to simulate a weld in TCad. Although it doesn't look quite like a real-world weld, it may well be good enough for your purpose.

Henry H

* August 20, 2018, 04:17:52 PM
Another option would be to Sweep a polyline or a circle around the Cylinder edge using "Use edge as path". This way you can assign a weld-like material to it.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 20, 2018, 06:27:11 PM
If it's a cylinder welded to a flange, a toroid or section of one will mimic a weld bead. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:29:44 PM by murray dickinson »

* August 21, 2018, 09:43:40 AM
3D Fillet is the usual way to simulate a weld in TCad. Although it doesn't look quite like a real-world weld, it may well be good enough for your purpose.

Henry H

Thanks Henry, I tried the fillet but I only get fillet to cut adges/corners not add material.

-NeverStop-

* August 21, 2018, 09:50:44 AM
Another option would be to Sweep a polyline or a circle around the Cylinder edge using "Use edge as path". This way you can assign a weld-like material to it.

Great suggest John, and thanks for the time to add files. I will use this option.
However not sure how it will work after I make OD same as flange. I will properly need to cut some way.
Or will other tools be better to use ?

Best regards
NeverStop

* August 21, 2018, 04:30:45 PM

Henry H

Thanks Henry, I tried the fillet but I only get fillet to cut adges/corners not add material.

-NeverStop-

You have to 3D-Add the parts first.

Henry H

* August 21, 2018, 10:14:55 PM
re: …make OD same as flange. I will probably need to cut some way. Or will other tools be better to use ?

After increasing the cylinder radius to 60, I would follow Henry's instruction to 3D Add the two objects together, then activate the "Fillet Edges" tool. Turn off "Round vertex" (otherwise it will try to fillet more places than you want) and select the four edges (blue nodes turn red) around the cylinder. "Finish". Everything should be filleted and trimmed where they run-off.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 22, 2018, 09:22:55 AM
Yes and Yes-yes! John/Henry thanks!

I used Henrys option succesfully. I now have this this in my 3d printer.

I did not know I had to 3d add the parts to get the fllet tool working.. Thanks!

What is the trick to get the quick pull to work on the pipe ? Works nice on all except the pipe.

Any suggest ?

Best regards
NeverStop

* August 22, 2018, 10:10:31 AM
re: …What is the trick to get the quick pull to work on the pipe ? Works nice on all except the pipe.

What are you trying to do on the pipe? You can pull the end to increase the height, but you will lose your PartTree info as it becomes an ACIS Solid. If you still have the PartTree available, edit the Cylinder Properties in the Selection Info palette.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 22, 2018, 11:41:25 AM
I am not able.. Not sure why.

But I see your part tree is different. You used 3D add earlier. Before subtract.

Not sure about it matters?

NeverStop

* August 22, 2018, 11:43:38 PM
The PartTree reads "up". The first things done are at the bottom and the last are at the top. I added the cylinder to the box. Here's an expanded picture of the PartTree.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 23, 2018, 07:10:14 AM
Ahhhh --- Ok I now see it more clear.

I also see you started with the cylinder- I started with the box.
But I assume it not a big deal.

However the fillet done worked superb and was perfect from the 3d printer.

I see you not used array for the 4 holes. Is it not possible ?

Best regards
NeverStop

* August 23, 2018, 04:57:44 PM
The 4 holes were made by you. I just copied your parts.

If I made this, I probably would've laid this out in 2D (rectangle and circles), then used Simple Extrude (with "Use Compound Profile") to make the two parts.
Select the 120mm rectangle, the 4 small 2mm circles and the 55mm radius circle, then extrude 7mm. This creates the box with all the needed holes already made.
Now select the 55 & 59mm circles and extrude 120mm. This creates the cylinder with a hole in it.
3D Add the two extrusions and "Fillet Edge".

If you want the cylinder/extrusion to be wider, change the radius of the 59mm ‘circle’ to 60mm. The 3D part should get larger and the fillet will update.
Maybe this YouTube movie will help; https://youtu.be/zHur3z_zCrI.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 24, 2018, 11:42:46 AM
Thanks John for an great tutorial uploaded and explenation.

What I did was:

1. Rectangle 105x105 for the holes
2. One hole and copy the 3.
3. Wanted to offset the rectangle but could not find. I remember issues regards offset bug or similar.
4. Made 120x120 rectangle.

And followed your tutorial and changes sizes for tube.

Again thanks!

Best regards
NeverStop