TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

CPU vs GPU
Read 251 times
* June 21, 2018, 08:01:48 AM
Facts or Fiction:

• TC Pro Plat shares resources between the CPU and GPU / depending on if you are doing 2D or 3D? Or does it matter?
  • CPU and GPU really need to be matched in performance to avoid bottlenecks.
  • TC performs better as a gaming "type" of PC rather than a "Workstation" type PC.  f.e.  a Quadro series vs. Geforce 10xx Series being that the GeForce 10xx would perform better.
  • Or, I could just not know what I am talking about - which is highly probable !!! LOL

June 21, 2018, 12:53:20 PM
I've done exactly the same question for IMSI/Desing support and got no response  >:( , so I'm passing you on from my observation in a job I did recently.

I ran on a relatively new DELL workstation with two GPUs Quadro installed a moderately complex 3D design made on a desktop with a very old Geforce (GTX 550 Ti) and to my surprise the difference was very subtle both in handling and in rendering.  ???

I expected a whole new experience but it was not significant.

Talking about the desktop with Geforce.
I work with two monitors and in one I left the task manager (Windows 7 64 Bits) in performance monitoring mode while working on the file to monitor the overall system demand.

What I could tell you is that my 8 CPU cores (i7 920 @ 3.4GHz) were used very little (on average) as well as GPU processing while the RAM was consumed at the speed with which the fuel of a jet with full power and post-combustor powered was consumed.  :o

My 12Gb of RAM was not enough for fine rendering and I had to work a lot on the file so that I would achieve the desired effect on time. If I had around 32Gb of RAM I would have a coffee, watch a TV series while the rendering was running and after a few hours I would return. LOL

I do not believe that Nvidia has a partnership with IMSI and produces a video driver for TurboCAD like other software, just see that the price of TurboCAD compared to other CAD software is considerably lower.  :-X

What differentiates GPUs from the Quadro series of Geforce are precisely the dedicated, personalized drivers.
Let's not forget that one is dedicated to openGL (although it is also an API used in games is more dedicated to professional graphics work) and the other to directx.

Although I did not submit this question (It's good to do that) to REDWAY3D who is the developer of REDsdk, the 2D / 3D graphics API TurboCAD uses.

I realized that the amount of RAM and VRAM are the deciding elements for the TurboCAD and not the CPU or GPU, although obviously the higher the processing capacity the better.  ;)

So I chose to forget the GPUs Quadro and buy a GTX1070 / 1080 and double the amount of RAM on my system.  8)
I personally know a designer with international awards and he uses Geforce.

CPU vs GPU??? ---> RAM and VRAM + CUDA cores = A happy day with TurboCAD

Hope this helps.

TurboCAD Professional 19.2 64-bit - Platinum Edition

* June 22, 2018, 10:18:36 AM
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback..  I am as well thinking about the 1080 for my next video card. And, I probably need to up my RAM as well. 

the main reason for me asking is that my agency ordered me a DELL workstation and I think the machine just had a faulty CPU. Not sure what is going on inside the machine. The Computer spec'ed out with a Quadro P4000, 16G ram, XEON Bronze CPU and it took forever to render anything. When rotating an object in Hidden Line mode, the object would turn and screen would go "white" and then refresh the object and would repeat this as it was rotating.  My home PC blew the doors off this Workstation that was issued to me. However, our IT department returned the Machine back to DELL.
Anyone building their own PC will know that the component choices are vast and seemingly endless and I could understand why IMSI would not want to mention any type of brand, but it would be nice if they would at least mention as an example of a power machine and list at least a motherboard of a certain spec and a specific "range" of AMD or Intel CPU and a "range" of GPU and defintley say that at minimum of 32G would be best to start out with a power system. (if not 64G ram).
I am not sure if it is mentioned on this forum, but it would be nice to have members share their components list along with Render Times of which someone could draw a benchmark type of drawing that could be shared so that people can have a good idea.
This would actually save money to new users and not have to waste money on parts trying to get the optimum machine. 

My machine at home: (now 4 years old)
Asus Sabertooth Z97
i7 4770K
16G Ram
GeForce GTX 960

Donnie

June 28, 2018, 07:45:32 PM
Under the New Features tab at this link (https://www.turbocad.com/turbocad-windows/plugins/redsdk-plug-in-for-turbocad-.html), do a search for "Hardware issues:".

It explains that, for NVidia graphics cards, "threaded optimization has been disabled for all NVIDIA drivers on starting a RedSDK application".  This could explain why I am not seeing reductions in rendering times when activating the GPU option in the Materials popup.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

June 30, 2018, 04:47:15 PM
Under the New Features tab at this link (https://www.turbocad.com/turbocad-windows/plugins/redsdk-plug-in-for-turbocad-.html), do a search for "Hardware issues:".

It explains that, for NVidia graphics cards, "threaded optimization has been disabled for all NVIDIA drivers on starting a RedSDK application".  This could explain why I am not seeing reductions in rendering times when activating the GPU option in the Materials popup.

Jeff

That explains a lot about TurboCAD!!!
Hence you purchase an Nvidia Quadro for a considerable amount and then realize that you threw your money away and that it could be playing better your games. 

TurboCAD Professional 19.2 64-bit - Platinum Edition