TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Color Change in Solids Without Materials
Read 405 times
June 21, 2018, 07:14:09 AM
Hello guys.  :)

I am looking for a solution to the following question. I hope there are some.

When we create a solid it is created without a material and in its properties you see in the field "material" the description of the group and material as "none".

This way you change the color of the solid using the line color palette and this is seen in wireframe mode.
If I want to change the color of a specific face I create a simple material of this color and apply it on the face and see the result in the "Lightworks" rendering mode. In Redsdk mode it does not work.

It turns out that I need to export to DWG and to this format do not go the material data and therefore does not appear multicolored facets. The file is exported in the color you choose by the line color palette.

Then I ask.
Can you change the color of the lines that form a face and get a colored face that can be seen in the DWG?

The images I attached is a very simple example and obviously I could redraw the circle and rectangles in a different color line and extrude it with a very small thickness like an offset over the original object.

But the solids that i work are very complex and go to the machining. I would like to "color" the object and through a color table set the dimensional tolerances just like Boeing does.

I already tried the facet editing tool but when selecting any face the color palette of the line is unavailable and the options I have is to apply a material.

In short, how to apply multiple colors to an object without assigning a material and without having to create "tree bark"?  :-\

Thank you in advance.

TurboCAD Professional 19.2 64-bit - Platinum Edition

* June 21, 2018, 09:31:38 AM
Experiment with the Extract Entity tool (if your version offers it).

Henry H

June 21, 2018, 10:44:35 AM

Henry H

Hello Henry.

Sorry, but where is this tool?

* June 21, 2018, 11:47:28 AM

Henry H

Hello Henry.

Sorry, but where is this tool?

"Extract Entity" came out in Version 23, aka TurboCAD 2016, so you can stop looking.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* June 21, 2018, 04:34:23 PM
You can get the same result, with a little more work, by selecting a facet or a set of facets with the Facet Editor and then applying Create Surface from Face(s). Choose "Yes" when asked if you want to retain the original object(s), so that you can then apply the process to a different facet or set of facets.

Henry H

June 22, 2018, 11:08:23 AM
You can get the same result, with a little more work, by selecting a facet or a set of facets with the Facet Editor and then applying Create Surface from Face(s). Choose "Yes" when asked if you want to retain the original object(s), so that you can then apply the process to a different facet or set of facets.

Henry H

WOW, thank you Henry.
I thought exactly the same thing while I rolled a side to side in bed on a bad night.
I'm not in my city right now but as soon as I get back I'll test your suggestion by hoping that in the conversion to DWG nothing will be corrupted.

June 30, 2018, 04:39:11 PM

Henry H

In my facet editor there is no option to keep the original object, it is deleted and only the selected facet is changed from solid to surface condition, and only the facet remains in the drawing. Did not I notice something?

* June 30, 2018, 10:14:42 PM
Use copy in place and facet editor with the copy if the option doesn't exist in your version.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:30:03 PM by murray dickinson »