TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Triple Expansion Engine Conrod
Read 284 times
June 21, 2018, 12:54:24 AM
It has been a long time (too long!) since I posted.

Many years back when I was in the UK I purchased a Bolton Triple Expansion Engine set of drawings and they have sat sealed in the dark for many a long year. Recently at work, a chap is doing a steam loco ticket and asked what I liked about steam - and so it went and I said to him about the drawings. He asked for me to bring them in. Looking at them I see that they (some) had faded and realised that the best I can do is start to convert them to CAD. So, here is a conrod complete with big end bearings, bearing retainer plate and fasteners. The BA threads I am converting to UN threads.

The rod took a little bit but got there. I will post more as I get done.

TC2015 Pro Platinum.
TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 64 bit. TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 32 bit CADCAM.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
TurboCAD LTE/DoubleCAD Pro V7.
TurboCAD Deluxe V21 64 bit.
VISI 21 CADCAM
Christchurch, Middle Earth.

* June 21, 2018, 09:45:22 AM
Nice job, Steve.

Henry H

June 21, 2018, 10:34:11 AM
Thank you Henry.

TC2015 Pro Platinum.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
VISI 21 CADCAM

* July 07, 2018, 03:39:36 PM
Thank you Steven

I'll be interested in progress - I'm trying to design the compound engine for a 4"-scale Hindley Steam-wagon - for which there are no drawings, only archive photographs and a few dimensions and other details from trade publications reviewing the prototype when it was introduced, 110 years ago this year.

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.

July 08, 2018, 06:44:20 PM
Nigel, I shall! I am working on the bedplate then the crankshaft (+bearings).

TC2015 Pro Platinum.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
VISI 21 CADCAM

* July 09, 2018, 10:54:45 AM
Thankyou!

I'm approaching it from a different angle because I have no drawings, just enough archive information to know what large sub-assembly is  supposed to go where.

Consequently I'm working from the main engine components outwards while ensuring the whole lot will fit a fairly confined space in the vehicle, by starting with the cylinders, crankshaft and connecting-rods. I have the drawings for a different engine I can use as a guide, with appropriate modifications, which will also help me give the valve-gear a good chance of working as intended.

That "First Attempt in 3D" I posted a little while ago is a preliminary drawing of that engine's crankshaft. 

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.

July 14, 2018, 09:51:00 PM
Bed plate, crankshaft, bearings and fly wheel. I have 5 A0 sheets that will be translated to CAD, going to take me sometime.

Nigel, I will be doing drawings and I should do them as I go but I am finding some slight errors/collisions that need to be seen to. You will be welcome to them.

TC2015 Pro Platinum.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
VISI 21 CADCAM