TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Pipe Thread
Read 189 times
* June 20, 2018, 06:29:04 PM
I use 2017 Platinum
I would like to model a length of 1/2" steel natural gas pipe and assorted fittings with standard real pipe threads.
What are the specs for the thread.

Thanks Don

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* June 20, 2018, 06:46:28 PM
Google "1/2 NPT dimensions."

Henry H

* June 20, 2018, 06:55:49 PM

Henry H

As usual Henry, I didn't phrase the question correctly. What is pitch etc. for a standard pipe thread.
Does this request work better.

Thanks

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10

* June 20, 2018, 07:13:03 PM

Henry H

As usual Henry, I didn't phrase the question correctly. What is pitch etc. for a standard pipe thread.

Thanks

Same answer, Don. Google "1/2 NPT dimensions" and you'll find pitch, taper, diameter(s), illustrations, and so forth. I did the Google bit myself to confirm this before posting my first reply. (NPT means "National Pipe Thread," BTW.)

Henry H

* June 20, 2018, 07:16:54 PM

Henry H

Thanks

Same answer, Don. Google "1/2 NPT dimensions" and you'll find pitch, taper, diameter(s), illustrations, and so forth. I did the Google bit myself to confirm this before posting my first reply. (NPT means "National Pipe Thread," BTW.)

Henry H

Thank you.

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10

* June 20, 2018, 09:27:07 PM
I would go to McMaster-Carr and get a 2D DWG and/or a 3D SAT of the parts you need. See Metal Pipe and Pipe Fittings and dig down. Select a 1/2" product and click on the "Product Detail / CAD" link to access the various formats, then Save/Download. You'll know where to go if you need the real thing.  :D

John R.

V17ā€”V21, 2015ā€”2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* June 20, 2018, 11:12:34 PM
Reckon the t might be for taper, Henry?  There are other pipe threads that have p for parallel and s for straight in the acronym.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:15:08 PM by murray dickinson »

* June 21, 2018, 09:43:42 AM
Reckon the t might be for taper, Henry?  There are other pipe threads that have p for parallel and s for straight in the acronym.

Could be, Murray. There's a half-dozen or more American Standard pipe thread forms, some tapered and some straight. NPT (whatever the letters may mean) is the most commonly used for plumbing in the USA.

Henry H