TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Split 3D polyline
Read 345 times
* June 17, 2018, 04:42:01 AM
How do I do this?

I have both v17.2 and 2017.

Currently installed v17.2 Pro (with VBA) and 2017 Pro Platinum on Windows 10.   Started with TC v2 !

* June 17, 2018, 06:09:43 AM
At the risk of being proved wrong,  I don't think you can split a 3D polyline, (unless the 3D polyline if all flat on the workplane like a 2d polyline),  you can 'break' a closed 3d polyline at any node, into an open 3d polyline.

Unless its really complex, it would be easier to redraw it, but one alternative that sometimes works is, explode the 3d polyline to break it into separate segments,  and use the join polyline tool (set to 3d on the inspection bar), to join the necessary parts back together, how successful that is may depend on the objects.

Another alternative could be,  make a copy of the 3D polyline, then on each copy, delete nodes from opposite ends until you reach the point where you wished it split, then join poly.  but as I say, I think it would be easier to redraw.

* June 17, 2018, 06:42:47 AM
You can split a 3D polyline, modify|split, but if the polyline is in 3D space, the ends of the segments, ie the point at which you split it, plunge and attach themselves to a zero Z coordinate, ie they fix themselves to the world plane (that's what's happened in my experience, anyway.  Those files have been dxf polylines from other apps).  Use the node edit tool, select each segment and delete the nodes with the zero z coordinate, there'll be a gap between the endpoints of the segments but if it's important to you, you can add fresh nodes and give them coincident endpoints again - with the edit tool.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 06:53:33 AM by murray dickinson »

* June 17, 2018, 02:23:51 PM
Andy: Thanks, actually 'closing it' and then breaking it works!

Murray: How are you managing to Modify|Split? My 2017 says 'Cannot split this entity'. v17.2 doesn't evenm let me try!

But why on earth doesn't TC allow you to Modify|Split or Break it anyway?

Currently installed v17.2 Pro (with VBA) and 2017 Pro Platinum on Windows 10.   Started with TC v2 !

* June 17, 2018, 04:54:29 PM
So weird.  I've never had the occasion to split a native TC 3D pline, and imports I've dealt with behave as I described.  I'm stumped, Ian, maybe it depends on whatever the plines were made in. 
But here's an alternative: explode the pline, delete the segment where you want to split it, rejoin the remnants as 3D plines.

* June 17, 2018, 05:22:18 PM
...and, if you need to split it somewhere along an existing segment, you can add a node at that point (using the Edit tool) before exploding.

Henry H