TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Working with STL files
Read 188 times
* June 16, 2018, 07:04:30 PM
Hello,

I have a question regarding STL files. I messed up my only copy of a .TCW file. I have a copy of the file in STL format and wondering if it is possible to convert the STL back to a TCW file?

Thanks for any help.

Rod

Rod

TurboCAD Pro Platinum V21, 2018
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Operating System
Dual Monitors
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T processor 3.20 GHz
8.00 GB installed memory
1 Terabyte of  storage

* June 16, 2018, 07:35:57 PM
I have a copy of the file in STL format and wondering if it is possible to convert the STL back to a TCW file?

Yes, But,  you may be disappointed.  do you not have a good backup of the TCW file somewhere, backups are usually in windows - documents - TC version, but the backup may just be a copy of your 'bad' file.

When opened in TC the STL will be a single object as a TCsurface object, if it was supposed to be multiple objects, you can explode once and break it into separate objects (always check selection palette to ensure it explode to objects and not polylines).  The drawback with stl, is that any curves will likely be faceted.  You can click the object and in properties change it to Solid, click ok when the warning message appears,   but curved surfaces will remain facetted, and I doubt they will look good.   

* June 16, 2018, 08:28:04 PM
Andy H,

Thank you for your reply. I had forgot about the backup folder and was only looking in autosave folder. I found an lolder version of my file and I'm pretty sure I will be able to recover most of my work. Reminding me of the backups, it has saved me hours of work.

Thanks,

Rod

Rod

TurboCAD Pro Platinum V21, 2018
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Operating System
Dual Monitors
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T processor 3.20 GHz
8.00 GB installed memory
1 Terabyte of  storage