TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

2018 Pro Platinum won't shell my solid
Read 259 times
June 16, 2018, 04:53:48 PM
I'm just starting to feel my way around this latest version, on a brand new Dell XPS 15 9560 15.6" 4k screen laptop I bought just because of the graphics chip (they were selling it as a gaming engine), so I have a lot of things to re-visit.  One of the problems that tempted me to take this off my 27" iMac, running T&C in Parallels, was that I was having trouble shelling a half ellipsoid.  Now I've got 2018 Pro Platinum, running on Windows 10, and I'm baffled by the inability to shell in this version.  In all the earlier versions that would shell there was an option to pick a face of the solid that  would not shell.  This seems to have been dropped, and I'm wondering why it's gone, and when I try to shell, there is no change to the solid.  I'm attaching the file, in the hope that someone in this wizard community can point out my stupidity to me, which I would warmly welcome.  Thanking you in advance.  Steve

Steven D. Thompson

* June 16, 2018, 07:04:16 PM
Steve.  As far as the picking a face.  That applies to solid objects, yours is a sheet (zero thickness) object, so the picking a face is not relevant,  as there is no face to select.

The object itself has bad geometry,  select the object and at the top of the selection palette is an audit icon which, I think appears in 2018 when something is wrong. See Attached for audit report.

However,  I redrew the object (as a sheet) and got mixed results, sometimes it would shell OK, and sometimes it wouldn't shell, so I drew it in 2016 and it would not shell there at all for me. what I then did in 2018 was draw the object as a solid object, then I could select the face and it shelled without problem.  personally I don't usually try to shell sheet objects, except for extruded open splines,  I've no idea why TC doesn't like shelling that shape. 

* June 16, 2018, 08:34:29 PM
The object doesn't behave for me, either. But I made a new one by drawing an ellipse, splitting it in half along the major axis, and revolving one of the halves 180° around the major axis. This new object seems to be identical to yours (it's also a sheet object) except that it shells with no difficulty.

Henry H

* June 17, 2018, 12:55:43 AM
Sometimes it's just easier to use a different workflow, say shelling a whole ellipsoid and then slicing and deleting or using some other boolean, like intersection or subtraction with a suitable subtrahend.

June 17, 2018, 11:22:08 PM
Thanks, all.  I think I'll do as Henry the great did, and start again.  I did this dwg. in a previous version, and there may be an issue there.  Steve

Steven D. Thompson