TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Walls and windows
Read 193 times
* June 15, 2018, 05:22:35 AM
Sometimes, for various reasons, I would like to delete a wall and draw a new wall in the same exact place but when I do that, the windows will not be associated with the new wall and so will not show in hidden line or rendering.  Is there an easy way to link the old windows/doors to the new wall and have them stay in the same place?

-John
using TC Pro Platinum 2017

* June 15, 2018, 05:34:53 AM
As far as i know we cant't re-link a new wall with windows.
But why not just edit or change style if you anyway want to have a wall in exact same place ??

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* June 15, 2018, 06:09:30 AM
Sometimes, for reasons unknown to me, walls change into other things like a TC surface or sometimes the walls don't "heal" at the intersections or they just refuse to be edited properly and the only way I have figured around it is to redraw the walls.
I have attached a file as an example. On the basement walls layer the walls are fine except if you look at the upper left corner there seems to be a problem with the end of the wall cleaning up properly. Then, I copied all the walls and place on a new layer, "footprint with dimensions", and some of the walls turned into TC surfaces and there is some overlap at the corners that I can not clean up and I figured the only way is to redraw the wall. In the past I have had walls that for some reason just show one side and the other side is invisible. Convert to wall slab doesn't do anything either. On a side note, I have never been able to figure out what the wall join tool does. It never lets me click on walls to join them. you would think that would be a simple tool for cleaning up intersections similar to meeting lines in 2d.

-John

* June 15, 2018, 07:28:39 AM
I open your drawing i v 2017, and there is only one wall there, the rest is surface's, did'nt look at the layers
Somehow you maybe explode the wall's as then they will turn in to surface's, it's not a wall anymore and by that it not cut out for window/ door.
Most easy way is to draw a baseline where the walls should be, then delete the wall's, putt all the doors and windows in a different layer and use them as a snap point when inserting new in the new walls in correct layers, then mark the temporary layer, rigthclik and Select by layer, delete, and you are rid of the old that has no connection with walls anymore.

Most of the times when walls wount heal is if they are not on same workplane, and if they are linked to another wall it will not let you edit everything, so then you need to Select 1 wall and see if there is some other walls that turn blue in wireframe they are then linked, so press shift and Select the blu wall(s) as well and there will turn up a small symbol down on inspectorbar that will let you break the link between them, normally it will be number 3 from rigth ( Drop Link), after that they will be easy to edit.

If the wall only show on 1 side it can be the material, default is 1 side, but you can open the material property and set it to Double sided, then it should show on both side.

If you have 2 walls on same line next to each other you can use Join walls and meke them to only 1 wall in example, they have to be on the same workplane

If you draw a closed polyline; rectangle or something you can use the convert to wall or convert to slab tool on them, and TC will do
I use that function all the time make the shape with a closed polyline, copy it up in different elevations and use convert to wall on them,
and if you use baseline as alignment you can also use them for convert to a slab, especial if the shape is very odd i find it easy to use that function, be aware if you want to do that you will need to make the slab first, as the wall will take away the polyline, the convert to slab dont

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* June 15, 2018, 07:33:57 AM
Thanks again for the helpful tips. I will keep plugging away.

-John

* June 15, 2018, 10:44:36 AM
>>Snip
Sometimes, for reasons unknown to me, walls change into other things like a TC surface or sometimes the walls don't "heal" at the intersections or they just refuse to be edited properly and the only way I have figured around it is to redraw the walls.
I have attached a file as an example. On the basement walls layer the walls are fine except if you look at the upper left corner there seems to be a problem with the end of the wall cleaning up properly. Then, I copied all the walls and place on a new layer, "footprint with dimensions", and some of the walls turned into TC surfaces and there is some overlap at the corners that I can not clean up and I figured the only way is to redraw the wall. In the past I have had walls that for some reason just show one side and the other side is invisible. Convert to wall slab doesn't do anything either. On a side note, I have never been able to figure out what the wall join tool does. It never lets me click on walls to join them. you would think that would be a simple tool for cleaning up intersections similar to meeting lines in 2d.

Similar type of Walls, whose ends, butt up against each other can be joined.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit