TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Can't open file after TC2018 crash
Read 355 times
* June 07, 2018, 09:11:12 AM
TC2018PP crashed and now my project file won't open.  I get the following error:

Failed to open "*my file name*: Cannot open storage (Path: ".")

Any way to fix a corrupted file?

Luckily I have a backup file so I only lost about 45 minutes of work. This is why I save backups and change file names on saves every couple hours or so!  Never had a file completely crap out on me though!

Cameron Miller
TurboCAD 2018PP, 2016PP, V20PP
Windows 7 pro

* June 07, 2018, 09:21:50 AM
Have you checked the Autosave folder ( just above Backup folder ) for a .asv or .crs file ??

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* June 07, 2018, 09:52:00 AM
I had two files open... the new one I was working on and an old one I was copying and pasting from.  The old file was the active window and the one only one that had a current autosave.  I have autosave at 20 mins because my system isn't the fastest in the world.

I really didn't loose much work, I am more curious about saving a corrupted file in general.

It's my first time with a corrupted file and was just curious if there is anything that can be done?

Cameron Miller
Windows 7 pro

* June 07, 2018, 07:28:26 PM
TC2018PP crashed and now my project file won't open.  I get the following error:

Luckily I have a backup file so I only lost about 45 minutes of work. This is why I save backups and change file names on saves every couple hours or so!  Never had a file completely crap out on me though!

When TCAD opens a file ... TCAD generates a .dwl file ... It has the same File name, just ends with .dwl
The .dwl file remains untill you close the TCAD file >>> Then the .dwl file just disappears.

When TCAD crashes ... the .dwl file remains .... so when you fire up TCAD ... it refuses to Open that file and just gives you Error messages.

Look for any .dwl ... or DWL files
Search function will find them
The file will be in the folder that contains the TCW file your trying to use.

IE:
My drawing_Rev-1
My drawing_Rev-1.TCW.dwl

Cheers
Mike

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:37:14 PM by Mike90RR »

* June 08, 2018, 12:48:34 AM

Can I know the reason behind the crash?.

Shaheryar Rafiq
SQA Engineer
IMSI Design

* June 18, 2018, 12:28:10 PM
Not sure on the crash but I think it lingering nvidia video card problems...  I have a GeForce 8800 GTS.  Yeah I know, it's an aging system!

Win 7 pro
Intel Q6600
Geforce 8800 GTS

Awhile back I had problems with newer drivers for nvidia both freezing my web browser and also crashing TC2016PP when I was switching programs between firefox and TC.  I rolled back the driver to fix the web browser freeze problem and it seemed to fix the TC2016PP crashes.

This time I was flipping between two open drawings in TC2018PP and firefox when the crash happened... reminiscent of my previous issues with TC2016.  I would guess it was the video card issue again.

I'm saving my nickles for a new system, but until then I'll suffer through a slow system. Actually it's not that bad except for saving/autosaveing big files... I have plenty of time to get a fresh cup of coffee.

Cameron Miller
Windows 7 pro