TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Measurements in iso?
Read 289 times
* June 02, 2018, 03:56:29 PM
Good afternoon!   I am trying to get a drawing that I am playing around with going with some measurements.  This is actually a build I am working on at work.  Cart before the horse.  Build is almost done, drawing is coming along now.  lol.  I am getting along pretty good with the drawing so far.  Thanks to all of you, by the way.  But, I cant seem to figure out how to get the measurements to work in an ISO view?  I did figure out a way to set the work plane as the bottom of the part, then iso view, then measure.  Is that the right way?  Or, is there and easier way?  Drawing attached.  And, any other advice on the drawing is as allways greatly appreciated.  Drawing attached. 

TuboCad Deluxe 2017. 
Newbie, but Getting There.

* June 02, 2018, 06:14:57 PM
I guess the appropriate technique depends upon what you want to measure. An alternative to the conventional tools, if you want to find the distance between two well-defined points, is to snap a 3D Polyline between them and then read its Length in the Selection Info palette. No need to fiddle with Workplanes.

Henry H

* June 03, 2018, 12:36:47 PM
I guess the appropriate technique depends upon what you want to measure. An alternative to the conventional tools, if you want to find the distance between two well-defined points, is to snap a 3D Polyline between them and then read its Length in the Selection Info palette. No need to fiddle with Workplanes.

Henry H

I want to create measurements that will show in paper space, to give dimensions for future builds.   Like the hole diameters, bore depths, One thing I am really having trouble with is measuring from a datum point on the block to the center of a bored hole?  Does not want to snap to the center of the hole?   I guess it is because it is now a TC surface?   The cylinder created from a circle is no longer there, as it was 3d subtracted?   I am using Deluxe 2017, so I am sure there are some limitations there also.  Attached is what I have so far.  No measurements in place yet.  But, fixing to start on them.. I removed all of them to continue drawing.  Too much clutter, at the moment.  I know, I could have put them on a layer, but I forgot about that, until too late.  Lol..  I am a beginner.

TuboCad Deluxe 2017. 

* June 03, 2018, 12:56:42 PM
Attached is the drawing with some measurements.  in ISO SE, Suppress hidden lines.  I selected the workplane by 3 points, chose the face I want to measure along.  Measured along the face to the center of the bored holes, by snapping to the vertex of the part, then snapped to grid that is center of the bored hole.   Will not let me snap to the center of the bored hole.  This part, it works out ok.  But, if the holes where not aligned with the grid, I would be in trouble.   Also, if you notice, the measurements are backwards?   Any suggestions or advice on better ways to do this greatly appreciated. 

TuboCad Deluxe 2017. 

* June 03, 2018, 02:51:09 PM
Attached is the drawing with some measurements.  in ISO SE, Suppress hidden lines.  I selected the workplane by 3 points, chose the face I want to measure along.  Measured along the face to the center of the bored holes, by snapping to the vertex of the part, then snapped to grid that is center of the bored hole.   Will not let me snap to the center of the bored hole.  This part, it works out ok.  But, if the holes where not aligned with the grid, I would be in trouble.   Also, if you notice, the measurements are backwards?   Any suggestions or advice on better ways to do this greatly appreciated.

One way to dimension to a circular hole is to create a Triple Point Circle, vertex-snapping to three places along the outline of the hole, and then dimension to that circle. Then put it on an invisible layer if you wish.

The dimensions are not backwards when I go to View by Workplane.

Henry H