TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Turbocad 18 Pro Platinum Symbols and Palettes problems
Read 304 times
* June 01, 2018, 10:22:24 AM
I have just installed tcw18 Pro Platinum version, and have two problems. The first is that Symbols, although listed in the Program Setup, is not appearing as a Palette or in the Palette list (see attached). I have previously been able to see Symbols with other palettes such as Blocks, Groups, Explorer etc.
Second is a problem of the size of the icons for the Palettes (see attached). Although the title of the top palette is readable, all the acons are so small it is impossible to distiinguish them from each other. I had this problem  of size before with all the menus, icons etc in v21.2 because of the high definition screen and the maximum setting of the Toolbar icon size being only 24. This latest version with this setting increased, and the 'Other Icon size' setting option has resolved the problem of all the other menus and bars, but still not with the Palettes. Nor have I found a way of docking the Tools Palette with the others, it just floats. I'd really appreciate any advice, Sheila

* June 01, 2018, 11:09:44 AM
Symbols can be found in the "Library" palette.

Palette icons can be increased at "Tools / Workspace / Customize". "Other icons size" changes Palette icon sizes for me, except in the Tools palette. For the Tools palette, go to "Palette Options" at the top of that palette and use the "Large Icons" option (it only goes to 16 or 32 pixels).

To dock the Tools palette, drag-n-float it over existing docked palettes and drop it on the center docking sticker (looks like file folders).

See also "Tools / Workspace / UI Themes" to change the Font height for various options.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:15:48 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* June 01, 2018, 12:18:48 PM
John, thank you very much. All sorted except the size of the palette icons despite the text next to the "Tools / Workspace / Customize / Other icons size" bar saying Palettes. This bar affects most sizes except the palettes. Maybe this is part of the technical problem noted in the Read Me information after  loading?
I'm trying to sort out the Symbols / Library and wonder if there is a clear guide to make the structure of these transparent?  Some of my 2D symbols now have question marks instead of the drawing itself showing when put in the drawing appear with a z axis, but  'Place on Workplane' has moved so I can't try to correct this, so my search continues! Thanks  again, Sheila

* June 01, 2018, 01:38:13 PM
PS it looks as if there's text missing here?? Sheila

* June 01, 2018, 09:24:10 PM
What Resolution and Scale are you running your monitor(s) at?
Right-click an empty section in the Windows desktop and choose "Display Settings".
When I run my screens at 3840×2160, I have the Scale set to 175%, though Microsoft recommends 150%.

The Question mark in a Symbol just means that there is no thumbnail available. Right-click on the thumbnail and choose "Update Thumbnails". In the "Create Thumbnail" dialog you have 3 options for the type of View, Render type and whether you want to do just that Symbol or everything in that Category. Never choose "For All"; as it will do every Symbol in the Library.

In the "Default" configuration, "Place on Workplane" is in the "Modify" menu or use the "Shift+Alt+W" hotkey. I would go to "Selector Properties—›General" page and turn on "2D/3D Depending…". This way you get a 2D Selector for 2D objects and a 3D selector for 3D objects. I rarely use the Toggle thing.

re: …missing text. It looks like you made the "Palette Titles" option in the  "UI Theme" dialog too large or maybe some other option.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* June 02, 2018, 12:26:03 AM
John, many thanks, I am now set up. It's some time since I did a new install and I'd forgotten settings and things change! Usually I have imported my ini file to bypass setting up some things but I wasn't able to find it in this version.
I'll live with the small icons, as changing the display settings (3000 x 2000 @ 200%) for the laptop causes a problem in other apps.  Thanks again, Sheila