TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

GWR 5'2" WHEEL IN 3D
Read 1594 times
* May 26, 2018, 11:58:26 PM
Hello I am new to this forum and trying to draw a GWR wheel as per the attached pdf (94814).  I have drawn up the hub and the rim ok and lofted the spokes.  The area that is causing me some confusion is where the spokes fillet into the Rim and the Hub.  At the hub the spoke has a 5" rad top and bottom but 3/4" at the sides.  At the Rim the spoke has a 4 1/2" rad top and bottom but 1" at the sides.

My question is how to do this variable radius.

I have contacted Don Cheke and attached his reply as a pdf

Thank you

Julian Reynolds
Christchurch
New Zealand

Turbocad Pro 2016
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:03:22 AM by Julian Reynolds »

* May 29, 2018, 07:58:20 AM
Hello I am new to this forum and trying to draw a GWR wheel as per the attached pdf (94814).  I have drawn up the hub and the rim ok and lofted the spokes.  The area that is causing me some confusion is where the spokes fillet into the Rim and the Hub.  At the hub the spoke has a 5" rad top and bottom but 3/4" at the sides.  At the Rim the spoke has a 4 1/2" rad top and bottom but 1" at the sides.

My question is how to do this variable radius.

I have contacted Don Cheke and attached his reply as a pdf

Thank you

Julian Reynolds
Christchurch
New Zealand

Turbocad Pro 2016

Hi Julian,
Turbo 2016 professional has >
3D modify > fillet edges and in the local menu there is >
> Variable radius blend
> Holdline blend.

If these don't help then use lofting with guide lines.
Use 3D Splines as the guides and sometimes as the profiles used in the loft.
Placement of the guides is important. ;D

There are also Smesh tools, these are also good for organic shapes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 08:14:20 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* May 29, 2018, 10:53:12 PM
Hi Dean
Thank you for your reply. I will give each of those options a try and see what results

Best regards
Julian

* June 10, 2018, 12:29:41 AM
Hello
I have tried to "Loft" the two forest green ellipses together using the red guidelines but keeping getting the attached error message.  Any hints as to what I am doing wrong would be appreciated

Thanks
Julian

Turbocad Pro 2016

* June 10, 2018, 09:54:15 AM
Hello
I have tried to "Loft" the two forest green ellipses together using the red guidelines but keeping getting the attached error message.  Any hints as to what I am doing wrong would be appreciated

Thanks
Julian

Turbocad Pro 2016

I used four elliptical profiles and lofted the object in two separate pieces. No guidelines.

Henry H

* June 10, 2018, 11:53:45 AM
Hi Henry
Thanks for your reply I hadn’t thought of that as an option. Looks like you have got the shape that I am after which is great

Kind regards
Julian

* August 01, 2018, 11:06:24 PM
Hi All
I have had some success with the wheel rim using the lofting and Variable radius Blend fillet but don't seem to be able to use the same  process on the wheel hub.  When I select the line to fillet the nodes turn red but then nothing happens when I select finish.  I have tried various fillet radii but with no success

Can anyone suggest why this line is failing to fillet correctly

Many thanks
Julian
Turbocad Pro 2016

* August 02, 2018, 09:13:57 AM
Hi All
I have had some success with the wheel rim using the lofting and Variable radius Blend fillet but don't seem to be able to use the same  process on the wheel hub.  When I select the line to fillet the nodes turn red but then nothing happens when I select finish.  I have tried various fillet radii but with no success

Can anyone suggest why this line is failing to fillet correctly

Many thanks
Julian
Turbocad Pro 2016

Unfortunately, Julian, the object seems to have become corrupted somehow. In the attached screenshot, I've sliced away part of the object and rendered what's left so we can see that the spokes are hollow sheet objects. I really don't know how to fix this drawing. SAT Healing didn't work.

Henry H

* August 02, 2018, 01:28:52 PM
Hi Henry thanks for your reply. I have been using polylines and lofting these to create the spokes. I see elsewhere in the forums that this is not the best way and can cause issues when filleting. The suggested solution was to use a 2D object with the compound profile button selected. I am not quite sure how to do this so will have to do some further research

Do you think the rest of the drawing apart from the spokes is ok or should I start again from scratch?  I have kept the 3D components seperate prior to adding and stored them under the “3D components” layer. It would save me a lot of time if I can reuse these.

I would very much like to learn why this drawing has become corrupted I have been contemplating upgrading to 2018 Pro platinum but need to work out if it is me or the program that is causing the drawing to become corrupted ( most likely the former!)  I had noticed some of the Rim fillets would disappear over time which was very odd but were easy enough to repair

Once again thanks for taking the time to help with my drawing
Regards
Julian

* August 02, 2018, 02:59:08 PM
You have two problems there, Julian. The first is that the spoke is a hollow sheet object. This is not at all obvious, but I found the problem by slicing the object and rendering one of the pieces. Fortunately it is easily cured, by selecting the object and applying Create Solid>From Surface  (in the Modify menu in my installation).

Second problem is that the spoke projects a little below the bottom of the hub (see the first attachment, below). This also is easily fixed, by slicing it in the plane of the hub bottom. After deleting the errant fragment, I was able to add the spoke to the hub and fillet the junction with no problem.

Henry H

* August 02, 2018, 04:25:10 PM
Hi Henry
That’s great news. I am just working on the drawing now and looking at you’re last email. I too had sliced the spoke and found it to be hollow. I was just reading through the user guide to try and find the solution when you email came through

I will now use you’re solution. I am hoping to eventually CNC machine this wheel from machinable wax and then cast them in 7 1/4” gauge. I am trying to follow the process as it would have been done in full scale

Thanks for your reply

Regards
Julian

* August 02, 2018, 07:07:36 PM
Hi Henry
I have managed to turn the spokes element into a 3D solid as per you instructions but for some reason it is still not filleting to the hub. I do get the fillet shape when the line is selected but not when the finish flag is selected. I have noted that in the Hub properties the hub is not showing as a solid that area is greyed out

I experimented with adding the spoke to a cylinder and that filleted ok. I then tried adding a cylinder to the hub and that also filleted ok so not sure why the spoke/hub is not filleting. Could it be because the hub is not showing as a solid or is it greyed out because it’s had holes drilled through it and is now a part?

Regards
Julian

* August 02, 2018, 08:17:14 PM
Julian, can you copy-and-paste the hub and spoke into an empty new drawing and post that?

Henry H

* August 03, 2018, 05:41:38 PM
Hi Henry
I have attached the file with just the hub and one spoke which i haven't added to the hub.  If I can get this to fillet correctly I will need to do a "variable Radius Fillet' with the settings of 3/4" at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and 1/16" at the 6/12 position.  I was able to successfully achieve a similar fillet on the wheel rim but for some reason I haven't been successful with the Hub.

Does the fact that the hub properties show grey  for the 3d solid mean anything?

thanks
Julian

* August 03, 2018, 06:16:19 PM
Hi Henry
I have attached the file with just the hub and one spoke which i haven't added to the hub.  If I can get this to fillet correctly I will need to do a "variable Radius Fillet' with the settings of 3/4" at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and 1/16" at the 6/12 position.  I was able to successfully achieve a similar fillet on the wheel rim but for some reason I haven't been successful with the Hub.

Does the fact that the hub properties show grey  for the 3d solid mean anything?

thanks
Julian

Not sure what the problem is here, Julian. I wasn't able to fillet, either, until I'd sliced along the midplane of the spoke. (After first trimming off the little bit of the spoke that projects below the bottom of the hub, as I mentioned in an earlier post.) Did not try for a variable radius fillet.

Henry H

* August 03, 2018, 06:54:50 PM
Hi Henry
Sounds very odd, do you suggest redrawing the hub? I have redrawn the spoke several times using elliptical poly lines. Is there another way of lofting the spoke?

Regards
Julian

* August 03, 2018, 08:26:00 PM
Hi Henry
Sounds very odd, do you suggest redrawing the hub? I have redrawn the spoke several times using elliptical poly lines. Is there another way of lofting the spoke?

Regards
Julian

I'm stumped, Julian. I also tried redrawing a spoke, as a Loft, duplicating yours as closely as possible, and ran into the same problem: Could not fillet until I'd sliced along the spoke's midplane.

Henry H

* August 03, 2018, 08:51:54 PM
Success at last. I redrew the spoke once again, using Splines as profiles, edited to be sure the spoke would not protrude beneath the hub. Added and filleted without difficulty. File is attached herewith, in v2016 format. (I don't have that version on my computer and therefore cannot verify that it opens correctly.)

Henry H

* August 03, 2018, 10:01:38 PM
That’s fantastic thanks so much I was beginning to believe I had a bug in my TC version. It is good to know that you had the same problem with, I will now learn how to loft using splines rather than polylines.

I will send you a finish version of the wheel when completed

Once again thanks for your time in resolving my drawing problems

Best regards
Julian
Christchurch
New Zealand

* August 04, 2018, 08:30:56 AM
Glad to help, Julian.

Henry H

* August 04, 2018, 10:41:02 AM
"I will now learn how to loft using splines rather than polylines."

If you scale down the spokes a little then 3d add variable blend works, worth a try.
I worked with your MDW Test drawing.

Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* August 04, 2018, 11:36:48 AM
"I will now learn how to loft using splines rather than polylines."

If you scale down the spokes a little then 3d add variable blend works, worth a try.
I worked with your MDW Test drawing.

I noticed that too, Dean, but was afraid that rescaling the spokes might foul up the rest of his model.

Henry H

* August 04, 2018, 06:54:53 PM
Hi  Henry and Dean
Thanks for your reply's
I have spent some time today trying the option of lofting using Splines instead of polylines (actually I used Bezeir with a large number of control points to try and acuratally match the profiles that I have from the original works drawings)  The resultant loft looked good but I have had the same issue with it failing to fillet when added to the Hub.

I have emailed IMSI support to see if they have any suggestions. I am starting to wonder if I am asking too much from my 2016 Pro version of TC.

I know Henry  that you have spent considerable time on this drawing but if you are able to fillet the attached drawing I would interested to know and then maybe that will convince me to upgrade to the 2018 Platinum version

Regards
Julian

* August 04, 2018, 09:00:40 PM
Hi  Henry and Dean
Thanks for your reply's
I have spent some time today trying the option of lofting using Splines instead of polylines (actually I used Bezeir with a large number of control points to try and acuratally match the profiles that I have from the original works drawings)  The resultant loft looked good but I have had the same issue with it failing to fillet when added to the Hub.

I have emailed IMSI support to see if they have any suggestions. I am starting to wonder if I am asking too much from my 2016 Pro version of TC.

I know Henry  that you have spent considerable time on this drawing but if you are able to fillet the attached drawing I would interested to know and then maybe that will convince me to upgrade to the 2018 Platinum version

Regards
Julian

Julian, it is a mistake to use more control points on a profile curve than is absolutely necessary. For a relatively simple cross section like this, I recommend a Spline with perhaps twelve control points. By editing the curve after drawing it, it's usually possible to match any similar shape to within a negligibly small deviation. If this proves impossible, one can insert additional points where required.

The attached screenshot shows your Bezier (yellow) superimposed on my 12-point Spline (cyan).

Henry H
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:26:31 PM by Henry Hubich »

* August 04, 2018, 09:58:18 PM
Thanks Henry
I’ll try that now

* August 06, 2018, 09:33:47 AM
Julian,
Are you sure the dimensions are correct?
The spoke extends past the hub surface.
It's not sitting on the curved surface.

* August 07, 2018, 02:27:34 AM
Hi Dean
I was slicing that part off. I drew it it that way as it seems to be how the original part was constructed from the plans that I am using. Interestingly I downloaded a trial version of TC 2018 platinum to see if it would work with the updated program but this also failed. I am hoping I might get a response from IMSI support to explain why I can’t use polylines to loft and then fillet. I will have a try with Henry’s solution of using splines I just preferred the accuracy that I could achieve with the polylines but may  just have to accept the approximate shape of the spline

Thanks for your reply

Regards
Julian

* August 07, 2018, 07:23:58 AM
Julian,
Do you have any type of close up 3d reference of how the spoke attaches to the hub?
I would suggest that any slicing should be done before creating fillet's.
TC needs to recognize and accept the tolerance on the target fillet edge, that's the trick  :)
Also, I'm not aware of how you constructed the Hub.

* August 07, 2018, 08:45:53 AM
Julian,
Do you have any type of close up 3d reference of how the spoke attaches to the hub?
I would suggest that any slicing should be done before creating fillet's.
TC needs to recognize and accept the tolerance on the target fillet edge, that's the trick  :)
Also, I'm not aware of how you constructed the Hub.

You could take a look at a picture in Wikipedia: GWR 1400 Class, though it is kind of dark.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 08, 2018, 02:40:22 AM
Hi John
Thanks for your reply. I have attached a copy of a photo of the 14XX loco at DIDCOT that shows the wheel very well. I have been drawing the 3D profiles from the 2D “Works Drawing” that I initially posted. I used circles and then lines tangent to 2 arcs then joined these as polylines. I then extruded this into a block and then swept and subtracted a profile shape around the hub block to get the correct arcs on the hub. I then filleted the hub using variable radius fillet prior to joining the spokes to the hub. Perhaps this is where I have gone wrong! It would be easy enough to redraw the hub and add the spokes prior to filleting the hub/spoke combination

I am relatively new to TC 3D so still on a steep learning curve. I will have another try tomorrow with redrawing the hub. I will document this redraw to see if there is a better way of doing the drawing

Many thanks
Julian

* August 08, 2018, 11:34:50 PM
Hi Dean

I had another go today with re-lofting the hub and joining the spoke prior to filleting but again no joy.  These are the steps that I have been taking

1. hub profile drawn with circles and arcs tangent to circles then converted to a polyline.
2. Polyline lofted to correct height.
3. Correct "coral" colored arc shape swept around hub profile.
4. Sweep subtracted from hub to give correct shape ( Previously I had gone on to variable radius fillet the edges of the hub but this time I elected not to do this)
5. Spoke flare lofted from polyline profiles and checked for 3D solids (showing grayed out in the properties box)
6. flare added to Hub and then attempted to fillet ( N.B. parts of flare that extend above and below hub were 3D sliced and trimmed)

I will have a go at repeating this process using splines with control points as suggested by Henry.  There may also be a way that I can do a second loft that would take care of the 3/4' fillet at the centre of the spoke/hub junction and add this to the first loft.  This might take a bit of thought to take care of the junction that is bending in 2 directions

Thanks again for your interest

Regards
Julian

August 09, 2018, 09:16:29 AM
Hi Julian

I have had a quick look and used an earlier file of yours for my take and probable fix for when filleting/blending does not work... understanding the reasons and we do not always have to redraw or have perfect positioning of 3D objects. I can often be a very easy fix ;-)

Youtube Video of the "fix" here - http://youtu.be/6IaST30yYF8

Hope it helps...

Daz...
V2017 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* August 09, 2018, 02:03:02 PM
Hi Darrel
That’s absolutely brilliant thanks for taking the time to do the video of the fix. I will try that today but it is so good to see that there is a way forward and relatively simple, this is such a good forum. I will post my finished drawing when completed

Best regards
Julian

* August 10, 2018, 08:04:26 PM
I took a different approach here: Lofted a spoke and its blend into the hub as a single object and then radial-copied around the hub.

Henry H

* August 11, 2018, 01:15:25 AM
Hi Henry that is looking very good. Did you get the 3/4” fillet at the midway point as well. If so would be interested to know how you did this.

I have now got the spoke stub to fillet at 3/4” but need to place the points for the radial fillet. It changes radius from 3/4” inch to near O (there would have to be some angle of “draft so that the mold could be removed from the green sand cast) at the top and bottom of the spoke.

Hopefully can get some more progress on the drawing this weekend

Best regards
Julian

* August 11, 2018, 05:38:44 AM
Hi Henry that is looking very good. Did you get the 3/4” fillet at the midway point as well. If so would be interested to know how you did this.

I have now got the spoke stub to fillet at 3/4” but need to place the points for the radial fillet. It changes radius from 3/4” inch to near O (there would have to be some angle of “draft so that the mold could be removed from the green sand cast) at the top and bottom of the spoke.

Best regards
Julian

Am I getting closer, Julian.
I did a variable blend >3/4" to 1/16".
I used lofted splines for the spoke and gave TC the tolerance needed  to perform the fillet by adjusting the size of the spoke in relation to the hub.

* August 11, 2018, 09:31:44 AM

Best regards
Julian

I got that, Julian, but there's a great deal wrong with my drawing. Needs a lot more work.

Henry H

* August 12, 2018, 02:46:01 AM
Hi Dean your variable blend is looking very good.  I attempted to do a variable blend but didn't seem to manage to get the points in the correct position ( I was using the N snap) so just proceeded with the 3/4" fillet  I might re-visit this as yours looks better.

I have attached a jpeg of progress so far

* August 12, 2018, 03:15:44 AM
One thing that I find a little strange (and has occurred in another of my drawings) is disappearing information.  In the attached screenshot several of the fillets have disappeared despite being saved at the completion of the filleting

Has any one had the same issue and is their a fix?  I'm sure its something that I am either doing or not doing

Kinds regards
Julian

* August 18, 2018, 06:04:15 PM
Hi Darrel,Henry and Dean
I have been making progress with my Drawing but I am still perplexed as to why I am losing the Rim fillets over time.  Have you come across this error of the drawing decaying and information being lost.  I have attached the current drawing and you will see that a couple of the Rim fillets have disappeared.  I would really like to find out why this is occurring.  I have emailed ISMI Support but haven't received a reply yet.  The drawing also seems to be crashing my computer on a regular basis as well

Many thanks
Julian

* August 18, 2018, 06:17:55 PM
I have not encountered that problem, Julian, but I suspect that it -- as well as the problem of frequent crashes -- might be caused by the Part Tree. If I were you, I'd save that drawing under a new name for insurance and, in either the original version or the renamed version, turn OFF the Part Tree and then Explode your object one time to sever all its connections to the Part Tree.

Henry H

* August 18, 2018, 06:27:07 PM
Hi Henry
Thanks for your reply I had noted yours and others commenting about the part tree whilst reading the forums and the issues it can cause.  I will give that a try

Regards
Julian

* August 19, 2018, 05:06:14 PM
Fillets can fail if you've done something like having an internal fillet that transitions into an external fillet and they meet exactly on their respective tangents.   There's a CAD philosophy called "resilient modelling" identified by a guy named Richard Gebhard that points to just this sort of problem, it's not restricted to TC or the ACIS kernel. 

* August 19, 2018, 06:13:26 PM
Fillets can fail if you've done something like having an internal fillet that transitions into an external fillet and they meet exactly on their respective tangents.   There's a CAD philosophy called "resilient modelling" identified by a guy named Richard Gebhard that points to just this sort of problem, it's not restricted to TC or the ACIS kernel.

You lost me there, Murray. Can you post an example?

Henry H

* August 19, 2018, 08:07:25 PM
Let's see if this site will let me post anything today....Okay, the step in the profile is 20mm, the rise is 10mm.  There are internal fillet and an external, meeting on their quadrant points, 10mm radius.   The edge of each fillet refers to the plane of the 20mm step...which no longer exists.  If you want to suppress the fillets at some later point, perhaps to resize them, the kernel has to either keep a reference to that plane in the history, or have the smarts to figure out where it should go, and files, depending on how the objects have been built, don't always retain that.  The theory of resilient modelling is to make the step 20.0000001 deep so that there's always  a vestige of the feature, a narrow strip of the face, remaining to refer to.  It's below the resolution of your production equipment to physically realise, but it's in the metadata for the program to find.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:31:35 PM by murray dickinson »

* August 19, 2018, 08:16:32 PM

You lost me there, Murray. Can you post an example?

Henry H

Maybe one of these videos will help: "resilient modelling" by "Richard Gebhard"

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 20, 2018, 03:28:13 AM
Hello Murray and John
That’s an interesting concept and one that I will need to study. I seem to have stabilised the drawing (fillets on the Rim have remained overnight) by turning off the part tree as Henry suggested. The drawing is also loading and now not crashing like it was however I am back to the issue of not getting the fillet on the Hub to work so could very easily be a “resilient modelling” issue. I will take a look at the YouTube clip and see what I can learn there. I also need to take another look at Darrel’s YouTube fix as this worked and allowed me to fillet the hub/spoke junction.

Thanks for your help

Regards
Julian

* August 22, 2018, 08:04:50 PM
Hi Darrel
I had successfully filleted the spoke/hub joint for the spokes in the  8-4 o'clock position and am currently working on the 6 spokes from 4-8 o'clock position.  I had re- drawn the spokes as a solid unit from hub-rim but now don't seem to be able to repeat the fillet at the hub even though the part of the spoke that joins the hub is unchanged.  The "square" edges that you mentioned in your you-tube clip have been filleted so don't believe that this is the reason. I keep getting the message  "can't perform filleting (probably the radius is too big). ACIS message face-Face blend geometry ill-defined or undefined. I am looking at the clip that John posted on "Resilient Modelling" but not sure that this is the case with my drawing or not.  I have recently purchased the excellent book "Technical Drawing with Engineering Graphics 15th edition" as recommended by Don Cheke.  There is some serious reading and learning to be had in this book!

Are you able to have a quick look to see if you can determine what is causing the fillet to fail and see if you are able to fillet one of the spokes in the lower quadrant of the hub

Greatly appreciate all the assistance that I am getting I think this is the last hurdle!

regards
Julian

August 23, 2018, 01:57:31 AM
Hi Julian

The fillet needs to be broken down with two operations the juncture complication ("D" shape) at the bottom/back of the hub is causing the fail as it cannot do this in one go and the ACIS engine needs help ;-)

Hope this gets you over the last hurdle ;-)

Watch the quick Youtube Video here - http://youtu.be/1sAG7dFQzC8

Daz...
V2017 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows7 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* August 23, 2018, 02:19:06 AM
Hi Darrel
Thanks so much I have just followed your YouTube clip and it has all worked as you described. I have certainly learnt a lot in the past few weeks. Just the steel tyre to add and then the drawing should be finished

Best regards
Julian