TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

GWR 5'2" WHEEL IN 3D
Read 5294 times
* August 23, 2018, 02:14:17 PM
Hi Darrel
Were you able to fillet the spokes in the 4-8 o'clock position? I have placed the small fillet on the D shape as you described on all but the 5:30 and 6:30 spoke  position which wouldn't accept this fillet, but I haven"t been able to get the spokes to fillet with the larger 3/4" blend in these positions.  I am just looking at the drawing now to see what could be causing these spoke positions to fail.

Thanks
Julian

* August 28, 2018, 12:59:31 AM
Hi Darrel
I seem to be making progress with the Hub fillets. I have redrawn the hub and filleted the radius as required. I have also slightly redrawn the spokes and this seems to have given a better blend with the hub with less issues with the fillets

I will post a picture when I finally get it finished. It is proving a good learning exercise in how the filleting works

Thanks
Julian

August 28, 2018, 02:18:42 AM
Hi Julian...

Sorry I didn't reply sooner... I had a lot of rendering to do...

I think the complexity of those D's on the back/bottom of the hub are causing the issues so redrawing the hub and spokes as I noticed that some strange fillets on those problematic fillets...

So... you are on the right track redoing them.... no pun intended...

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* August 28, 2018, 02:52:08 AM
Hi Darrel
Yes they were causing the issue. I have all the spokes between 8-4 position all filleted properly. I have been able to get the other spokes to fillet but don have these lower ones drawn correctly yet. It’s just a matter now of trial and error. It is very satisfying when the do fillet correctly

Thanks again for your help

Regards
Julian

* August 28, 2018, 03:14:41 PM
Hi Darrel
Would you be able to take one more last look at the attached drawing.

I have spent a couple of hours this morning trying to apply the 3/4' fillet to these remaining spoke stubs between the 4-8 o'clock position but without success.  You will see that I have applied a variable radius fillet to the hub as per the drawings and this does make for a complex junction where the stub meets the hub.  I have played around with 1/32" fillets around the "D" shape but this still hasn't allowed me to apply the 3/4" fillet.

Perhaps your more experienced eye will see what is causing this fillet to fail.

Regards
Julian

August 29, 2018, 07:45:08 AM
Hi Julian

Model of spokes need more work so they have nice smooth single facing when going into the hub body. To many individual faces and stubs may also be to short etc. I would redo the hub and leave all the face machining until you have the spokes nicely filleted etc.

See my youtube video of what I think is needed and also using the Facet Editing tool in draft render to highlight faces to examine problems to why fillets are not working - http://youtu.be/oA7BQUkS84A

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels

* August 29, 2018, 12:49:28 PM
Hi Darrel
Thanks for looking at the drawing again and for the excellent YouTube clips. Fortunately I have all the components saved in different layers so it will be relatively easy to redraw. I will just need to un-machine  the 1/16 face. I had wondered about the way I have the spokes transitioning into the Hub and will have to give this some more thought. It certainly makes you appreciate the skills of the pattern makers you used to build thes wheels

Best regards
Julian

* September 24, 2018, 12:31:59 AM
Hi Darrel

Would you mind taking a quick look at the attached drawing ( I am aware that you have spent quite some time helping me with my filleting issues)

I have redrawn the  stubs (numbers 6 & 11) and now have them joining the Hub in a smoother transition.  I have been able to apply a 3/4" fillet most of the way around ("round vertex" off) but cant get it to fillet where the angle is most acute.  It will fillet if I reduce the fillet to 1/4" inch so I guess that this is the issue.  I did add the spoke to see if having a larger area would help but this didn't work

Can you see any way around this issue?  Interestingly when I tried using the variable radial fillet i was able to get it to fillet on the acute side but not the obtuse side.

Thanks again
Julian

September 24, 2018, 03:22:47 AM
Hi Julian

Can you post the that last file without and filleting to the spokes stubs please.

Daz…

* September 24, 2018, 01:39:25 PM
Hi Darrel
here is the un-filleted file

thanks
Julian

September 25, 2018, 12:28:37 PM
Okay Julian

I had a good look and come to the conclusion that the hub is causing the filleting not to work. Also a better workflow is to keep the hub simple and without the holes until you have been able to get the complicated work done then right at the end when you are happy create the holes and slice it to the right height.... I over sized it in height so that it removes the likelihood of having to play around with separate fillets. TC fillets very fast when we have nice simple geometry.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:30:40 PM by Darrel Durose »

Daz…

* September 25, 2018, 03:29:30 PM
Thanks Darrel
That is good to know that it WILL work. I will redraw the hub without any of the holes and draw it oversized top and bottom. I think you correct in commenting that I have got the sequence wrong. It is a good thing to learn

Will get back to you once I have given this a try

Best Regards
Julian

* September 25, 2018, 06:59:24 PM
Hi Darrel
I lofted the hub over-sized ( with the aim of slicing to the correct height when finished as you suggested) and left out the holes and fillets to the top edge.  The upper spoke stubs filleted without any issues but I am still unable to get the stubs #6 &11 to fillet keep getting the attached message.  Really starting to run out of ideas on this one!  I guess that when/if I finally get all the stubs to fillet correctly I will still be able to apply a variable  radius fillet to the top and bottom edge?

(I really think I owe you a couple of bottles of New Zealand wine for all the help you have given me!)

Thanks again
Julian

September 26, 2018, 01:51:08 AM
Hi Julian

I have quickly looked at your last drawing and not sure how you created your new hub.... Hopefully this Youtube video of my take on creating better geometry so the ACIS engine can pick a loop path for the fillet will help - http://youtu.be/YU00Np3GhWI

I have also attached the file so you can have a look and use it etc as I have kept the part tree info in the geometry...

Daz…

* September 26, 2018, 02:26:43 AM
Hi Darrel
Just looked at you interesting and extremely informative clip. Certainly gives me  a lot to work on and towards. I will have to review how I have been lofting the hub as I am obviously making it too complex. What I had been doing was lofting the hub shape and then to get the correct radius around the edges (7 1/2” radius curve on the upper edge and 3 1/4” radius below) sweeping this around the hub shape and then subtracting this profile from the hub. It is where these two radiuses join in the middle of the hub that is causing the extra node.

Will have another look tomorrow to see if I can work out a simper way to loft this shape

Many thanks
Julian

* September 26, 2018, 08:12:36 PM
Hi Darrel
Success at last!  After having a couple of looks at your last you-tube clip I redrew the Hub but this time used a polyline with the "arc segment option on the right click of the mouse (as opposed to joining two polyline arcs) although this still showed an upper and lower segment of the hub the join didn't require a fillet which obviously has caused all the issues.  The stub filleted straight away with the 3/4 radius and that was without increasing the lower part of the Hub.  I still need to tidy up the stub loft by removing the loft line that you identified as not being required.

I will email post the finished drawing once complete.  Really feel I'm on the downward slope now thank again for your help.

Regards
Julian

September 27, 2018, 05:27:17 PM
Great to hear  :)

Daz…