TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

How Do I Avoid Stacked Line Fragments?
Read 638 times
* May 21, 2018, 05:59:08 AM
I've noticed that my efforts often accumulate troublesome bits of lines and polylines, even full duplicates, hidden under the visible ones.

So, what might I be doing to create these inadvertent under-lays, so I can minimise them happening?

It was some time before I realised they caused many of my polyline, hatching and copying difficulties, but now know to use the Select pop-up list and its highlighting to find and remove them. I think that although a tool's own Select highlighting may appear as expected, that's to help me, not it; but hides the fact that the tool has actually picked up a fragment so can't detect the next intact, visible entity. Delete the bits and assuming no other errors like subtle line-breaks, the tool works as it should.

At first I could not understand why the last line does not over-write the earlier, then realised such "data-stacking" might be vital to many important drawing functions working or even existing. It even occurred to me that TurboCAD uses a formal version of the effect for Layers - that's a guess, I don't know!

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.

* May 21, 2018, 06:19:39 AM
The most common occurrence for me, is forgetting to turn off 'Make copy' after using it. With make copy activated, doing most things, like typing a new size in the inspection bar to make the line longer, or pressing 'D' to pick up the objects reference point and snapping it to, say a vertex (end of a line), TC will make a copy in the same place.

I've been using TC for quite a few years, and I should know better, but I still often forget and end up with duplicates.

* May 21, 2018, 01:39:52 PM
Ah, OK - thanks Andy.

I'd not knowingly selected "Make copy" but I suppose could have done so by accident through not understanding various tools properly. 

So I'll keep an eye open for that command.

Nigel.

* May 21, 2018, 02:02:36 PM
Ah, OK - thanks Andy.

I'd not knowingly selected "Make copy" but I suppose could have done so by accident through not understanding various tools properly. 

So I'll keep an eye open for that command.
[/quote

It's an icon on the Inspector Bar, Nigel.

Henry H

* May 21, 2018, 02:15:15 PM
Thanks for the tip, Henry!

Nigel.