TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

How Do I Avoid Stacked Line Fragments?
Read 302 times
* May 21, 2018, 05:59:08 AM
I've noticed that my efforts often accumulate troublesome bits of lines and polylines, even full duplicates, hidden under the visible ones.

So, what might I be doing to create these inadvertent under-lays, so I can minimise them happening?

It was some time before I realised they caused many of my polyline, hatching and copying difficulties, but now know to use the Select pop-up list and its highlighting to find and remove them. I think that although a tool's own Select highlighting may appear as expected, that's to help me, not it; but hides the fact that the tool has actually picked up a fragment so can't detect the next intact, visible entity. Delete the bits and assuming no other errors like subtle line-breaks, the tool works as it should.

At first I could not understand why the last line does not over-write the earlier, then realised such "data-stacking" might be vital to many important drawing functions working or even existing. It even occurred to me that TurboCAD uses a formal version of the effect for Layers - that's a guess, I don't know!

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.

* May 21, 2018, 06:19:39 AM
The most common occurrence for me, is forgetting to turn off 'Make copy' after using it. With make copy activated, doing most things, like typing a new size in the inspection bar to make the line longer, or pressing 'D' to pick up the objects reference point and snapping it to, say a vertex (end of a line), TC will make a copy in the same place.

I've been using TC for quite a few years, and I should know better, but I still often forget and end up with duplicates.

* May 21, 2018, 01:39:52 PM
Ah, OK - thanks Andy.

I'd not knowingly selected "Make copy" but I suppose could have done so by accident through not understanding various tools properly. 

So I'll keep an eye open for that command.

Nigel.

* May 21, 2018, 02:02:36 PM
Ah, OK - thanks Andy.

I'd not knowingly selected "Make copy" but I suppose could have done so by accident through not understanding various tools properly. 

So I'll keep an eye open for that command.
[/quote

It's an icon on the Inspector Bar, Nigel.

Henry H

* May 21, 2018, 02:15:15 PM
Thanks for the tip, Henry!

Nigel.