TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Anyone taken 2018 for a test drive what are thoughts?
Read 275 times
May 20, 2018, 10:20:54 AM
Hello
Usually when a new version is released, there is a fair bit of conversation around here about the new features, what people like, what they don't like, what worked in 2017 but now doesn't in 2018. I did see a couple short write-ups online that talked about the new and improved features, what are thoughts on 2018 ? I was curious why is it so quite around here?
Paul

Always leave the back door open, you never know when you might need to run out it.
User Since V8, currently taking the 2017 for a spin

May 21, 2018, 01:53:31 AM
2018 seems as stable as 2017 (which is also stable, in my experience).

I've tried a few of the new features, but have been more involved in actual work, so I cannot give you a decent review of the upgrades.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 21, 2018, 03:09:58 AM
This does seem to be one of the quietest new releases. The one thing I like is the ability to isolate or hide objects. in pre 2018 versions I move things onto temp layers and turn the layer off.  I did try copying the AnimationLab palettes from 2017 into 2018,  some things work better with GDI/Lightworks, for example transparency,  however morphing (screen updating) is still broken, which could be an AL thing, but it works fine in 2016.

The perform mid 2point snap, works well, but when using SEKE's there is no indication that one has snapped the first point correctly, with running snaps one can use the magnetic point to visually see its snapping correctly.  This would probably only be a problem on drawing with many lines close togather, and one wanted to ensure that it has snapped to the correct line. In that situation one would probably turn on  snaps.

The trim by entity is another tool I could find useful.

My first impression is that one needs a good computer for 3D work (with largish file sizes). mine is nearly 6 years old, (an old intel I7 3770 with 16 gig memory).  and for me, 2018 / GDI / Lightworks is just too slow to be usable.  Therefore although I've bought 2018, for the time being I'm still using 2017 / RedSDK. and I'll use 2018 for small animations and files with fewer facets. I must point out, that this problem is probably just due to my old computer, and most people won't be trying to include as many facets (curved surfaces) as I am doing at present.

* Today at 12:36:38 PM
I am wondering if using lightworks, which seems preferable from what I hear, will still allow me to show un-renderable objects in hidden line? I am getting used to the 2017 and I don't want to throw myself into another learning curve... I don't seem myself needing high quality renderings but the printing of the hatches and lines on facets that are facing the camera is important to me to get good line drawings for printing in HL and perspectives.

-John
using TC Pro Platinum 2017

* Today at 03:46:31 PM
I am wondering if using LightWorks, which seems preferable from what I hear, will still allow me to show un-renderable objects in hidden line? I am getting used to the 2017 and I don't want to throw myself into another learning curve... I don't seem myself needing high quality renderings but the printing of the hatches and lines on facets that are facing the camera is important to me to get good line drawings for printing in HL and perspectives.

When you do a Hidden Line render, are you using "RedSDK Hidden Line" or "Hidden Line Hidden Line"? "Hidden Line Hidden Line" is what's available in 2018 without the RedSDK, so you could try it out now in 2017. LightWorks has a Hidden Line option, but it's never been like a normal Hidden Line drawing.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit