TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

3D PRINTER FILE PROBLEM STUMPED
Read 836 times
* May 14, 2018, 08:12:29 AM
I have a 3d file and it is doing strange things like creating a groove on both side of the part and do not know if it is a Turbocad or Flashforge Flashprint software  problem. I have another part I ran it is just a headed bushing the same shape different of and id sizes and it shows fine and prints fine. But the file I am sending does not it has a bar on one side as you will see when you open it. I printed it and it has grooves on both sides or is seperating. I tried it through Cura software and grooves do not appear to be there but could not print it to see. I am sending the tcw  file so you can see if it is the way I am creating it or software issues, I have tried different design polyline cylinder  and it always does the same grove thing when you run the stl file through Flashprint to create a gx file you will see the groove. I am stumped! Any ideas!

* May 14, 2018, 09:00:50 AM
Saved both tCW files using TC v21 as stl,  and a mixed result, both opened fine in MeshLab (free) and Cura, with no apparent deviation from the TCW file.  But they would  not open in NetFabb (Free version) until I had exploded once to get rid of part tree, and saved as ASCII stl.

No idea why NetFabb was being a bit fussy,  Anyway, I did not see any unwanted groves in the part, I would doubt part tree has anything to do with it, but as a test, make a copy of the file (using save-as), in the copy, explode once to get rid of part tree, and save as stl, try binary and ascii, (click set-up button in the save dialog).

Can you post an image of what the problem groove looks like.

** Edit ** Are you doing any scaling in flashforge, I just noticed that your drawing is in inches, the part in my cura (mm) was the wrong size, it seemed to scale down to mm just fine in cura though, without any extra grooves. ** End Edit **
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:53:14 AM by Andy H »

May 14, 2018, 03:54:48 PM
I saved both as STL from 2018 and they loaded into Meshlab with no problem.  Only Rear Vent exp.stl loaded into Netfabb without alteration.  As with Andy, Exploding the ACIS object in Rear Vent.tcw before saving as STL allowed it to load into Netfabb.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 16, 2018, 08:37:24 AM
You have to run it through flashforge flashprint  software it is a free download. You have to resize the part as it  is in English and all printer seem to be in metric. I tried to download gx fiiel made from flashforge software but TC will not except gx files? I will try to get a picture of it today if I can. I did try exploding the model and it didn't help at al,l same grooves.

* May 18, 2018, 07:52:53 AM
I tried to take a pic but it is so small a part it is blurry so I recreated what the groove looks when it is printed. It is on both sides or all the was through not sure. So here is the file I created so you can see what it looks like. see the small groove between OD and ID that is what it creates. I tried sending gx file but TC doesn't except that type of file.

* May 18, 2018, 10:31:26 AM
Unfortunately I can't be of any help,  you may need someone with a flashforge printer to test it.

I changed the space units in TC v21 to metric and ticked convert units, this saved me altering the scale in the slicing program.  I  installed flashprint 3.20.0 and loaded the model, which looked exactly as it did in TC except the stl is a bit more facetted (which is normal).  As a final test I opened the stl in cura and printed it, it printed fine - well a bit stringy as I hadn't bothered setting up the printer up properly first.

Looking at the model in cura, the groove you showed is where the infill would be, I can't check in flashprint as I don't have their printer to connect it to.  There is a setting when printing in flashprint to alter the infil and turn off 'vase mode' you could check the infill setings and ensure vase mode is not set. other than that you could open the model in MeshLab an see if it shows any problems on your system.

Sorry, but as I don't have a flashforge printer I can't be of much help, only to say the problem does not appear to be TC. 

May 18, 2018, 11:00:08 AM
I tried to take a pic but it is so small a part it is blurry so I recreated what the groove looks when it is printed. It is on both sides or all the was through not sure. So here is the file I created so you can see what it looks like. see the small groove between OD and ID that is what it creates. I tried sending gx file but TC doesn't except that type of file.

I created an STL using the Rear Ven NEWt.tcw file (ACIS Quality = 100) and it failed to open in Netfabb (no problem with Meshlab).

However, I still don't know what 'groove' you are talking about (unless it's as shown in the attached image).

Jeff

System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 21, 2018, 08:07:43 AM
Jeff;
yes that is the groove and it is hollow . I created this part solid no fill the parts is very small  and the groove is there it is hollow all the way through with just threads holding it on. I happen to look at another part I printed with a small boss and I touched it and it broke off. I am starting to think flashforge has serious problems with there software. it only seem to be on round shapes. I contacted them to send the file but no answer it was days ago.

* May 21, 2018, 08:13:31 AM
Oh forgot to tell you it is on both sides (the groove)? Also off the subject how did you capture that screen shot. I tried in flashforge and could not save as pic?

May 21, 2018, 01:11:58 PM
Also off the subject how did you capture that screen shot. I tried in flashforge and could not save as pic?

I use the free image viewer Irfanview (https://www.irfanview.com/), with the plug-ins.  It can capture the active window or the entire workscreen, either on command or at designated intervals.  It has a lot of other useful features, too, such as Batch Rename, Batch Conversion (resolution as well as file type), Editing, etc.

Jeff
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:08:39 PM by Jeffin90620 »

* May 24, 2018, 07:08:13 AM
Thanks Jeff!

* September 13, 2018, 12:33:11 PM
I ran this same part through CURA software and printed the part on Ultimaker 2 and it printed fine the problem was Flashforge software.???????