TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

2018 Access to Layer Properties Toolbar with Ribbon
Read 307 times
* May 12, 2018, 12:19:20 PM
Can anyone direct me to a way to access the layer properties toolbar when using 2018's Ribbon interface?  I actually like the new interface, but not having quick access to this toolbar problematic.

* May 12, 2018, 01:37:14 PM
Are you looking for Options/ Layers ??

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* May 12, 2018, 03:55:30 PM
You need to create your own Properties toolbar. All the tools are in the "Property Controls" category of the "Commands" page. Unfortunately, you can't place it "under" the Ribbon, like it is in other configurations. It can go "above" or place it elsewhere; such as floating in the drawing area. This problem was brought to their attention a couple of months ago, but ignored.

I tried putting the controls within the Ribbon, but realized they needed to be seen at all times.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 12, 2018, 04:47:41 PM
John understood the question, but thanks for both response.

On the Format tab of the Ribbon in the Layers section is one place it could be placed, which would match AC, but as John pointed out, that only makes it available when that particular path in the Ribbon is activated.

Thanks for pointing out where to find the individual tools are to make my own toolbar.  I was looking for the finished toolbar, but wasn't able to locate it.  Floating is not exactly what I had in mind, but will have to do.  It will make it available as needed though, which is important.

Thanks again.

* May 12, 2018, 04:53:59 PM
By the way John, how do you like the new Ribbon Interface?  From what I remember, you where partial to the Classic Interface.  Care to comment a little more on what could be done to improve the new Ribbon Interface?

* May 13, 2018, 01:49:03 PM
I'll stick with the Classic interface and the Tools palette with custom toolbars.

From what I see, the Ribbon has limited editing ability. I can add a sub-menu to a Menu Category, but not a new Category or a new Menu.
I don't like the Modify Menu; it doesn't fit the screen, thus several Categories are collapsed and don't display any name. Not that much different from the "Default" Modify menu that extends below the bottom of the screen.

I like that they now have a Ribbon option for the Ribbon aficionados, but it's not my cup of tea.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 13, 2018, 05:20:28 PM
Thanks for the info.  I have only been using the TC Ribbon for a little while now, but I have already ran into several usability issues that are making it a bit awkward to work with.  Such as not having the ability to assign tool groups to layers from the Ribbon.

I did set up the Properties toolbar above the Ribbon, and it works for the most part, but the layer name portion of the toolbar only displays 2 characters on the toolbar until you click the down arrow.  I don't like that at all, and I have not found a way yet to control the length of the layer control box.

What I am doing now is to use The Design Director Palette to check layer status and the Tools Palette for assigning tools to layers.  I do like the Ribbon interface though, but it does not appear to have been that well thought out as far as workability is concerned from what I have seen so far.

* May 13, 2018, 10:55:05 PM
re: …I have not found a way yet to control the length of the layer control box.…

You need to have the "Customize" dialog open when editing tools in the UI. Click within the Layer tool, so that you're focused on it. Now move you cursor to the right-or-left edge. When you see a two-headed arrow appear on the edge, click-n-drag the list window wider. Getting the arrow to show up can be a bit tricky; at least for me.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 14, 2018, 08:19:03 PM
Thanks

That worked.  I forgot to select the box before trying to drag the edge.  Once it was selected it worked fine.