TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

spacebar exit to select tool stopped working on new T-CAD instances
Read 270 times
* May 10, 2018, 08:38:27 PM
Using an older version of TurboCAD-Pro (v6.5) that I purchased many moons ago.  Just started using it in earnest about a year-or-so ago and still learning.  Help tab not very useful – rarely finds what I’m searching for – but have found many good tutorials on-line.  As I am retired and use it only for hobby projects, can’t justify cost of an upgrade.  That’s not the problem.  Current version I have does everything I need.

Every once in a while something gets out of whack and until now I have been successful in finding a remedy on-line. 

Current problem: the space bar stopped taking me back to the select tool.  I tried the many suggestions I found on this forum (with the exception of reloading the workspace – can’t find it), including restarting tcad without success. 

I just happened to have another instance of tcad up when the problem started and that instance still works – I don’t dare shut that one down, as all new instances – even of the same file I have open in the working one – won’t respond to the space bar.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,                                      g_k

* May 10, 2018, 10:45:25 PM
Go to "Tools / Customize—›Setup" page. Select a configuration from the "Load From" list (usually "1024x768…"), then click on the "Load From" button. "Load all sections" should be checkmarked before loading. If you load the configuration from other pages, only those particular settings will be loaded.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 11, 2018, 07:55:09 AM
Running more than one instance of the same TCad version can indeed cause problems.

Henry H

* May 18, 2018, 06:14:46 PM
thanx for the suggestions thus far.

ok, I went to Tools > Customize and selected the Setup tab.  The current “Load From” source was “autocad.”  I clicked the dropdown arrow and selected tcv6_1024x768, and with “Load all selections” checked, I clicked the “Load From:” button.  A pop-up with the message “Are you sure you want to reset this?  This action will remove all settings.”  I clicked yes, watched the drawing refresh then clicked “Close.” 

I then clicked the line draw tool and tried the space bar.  It did not return to the select tool.  I went back to the one working instance I still have up and verified that it still does respond to the space bar.

I repeated the above incantation, this time clicking the “Reset all” button instead of “Close.”  Still no luck.

Everything was working ok up until last week when I inadvertently mistyped something that made the intrinsic “space bar -> select tool” shortcut stop working on that and any new instances of TurboCAD.  It would be nice to know what command my mistype issued to TurboCAD and how to reverse that process.  Short of that, I’d be happy to program in a custom keyboard shortcut that associates the space bar with the select tool - if I could figure out how to assign keyboard shortcuts.

any other ideas?                               g_k

by the way, running multiple instances hasn’t caused problems thus far, and considering that one of them I left running still works, I don’t think that has anything to do with why space bar stopped working.

* May 18, 2018, 08:55:22 PM
re: …I’d be happy to program in a custom keyboard shortcut that associates the space bar with the select tool - if I could figure out how to assign keyboard shortcuts.
  • Select the "Keyboard" page, then the "Edit" category, then "EditSelect".
  • Go to the "Press New Shortcut Key" field and press a key.
  • Click on the "Assign" key.
Edit: changed the dialog picture to V6.

Another thing that can cure problems is to shut down TurboCAD and delete the "TCW60.INI" file or rename it with something like an *.OLD extension (if you don't want to delete it). Restart V6.

Looking at my copy of V6, the Spacebar was not assigned to anything.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:01:35 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit