TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

TurboCad 2015 multiple tmp files generated
Read 286 times
* May 09, 2018, 08:49:47 PM
Hello Forum,
I have TurboCad 2015 on Windows 7 pro.  About twice a month, with no warning, TC starts saving updates in multiple tmp files. I am working on the local drive as saving on the network drive causes more problems. Is there a way to import these tmp files back into the original drawing? Or at least set a debug mode so I get a warning when it happens next time. I have tried copy and paste parts of drawing but then I start losing layers in the original.

May 10, 2018, 02:33:54 AM
Saving "updates"?  What sort of updates?

Do the files actually have a ".tmp" suffix?

Until we can figure this out, I would suggest saving your files after a dozen or so changes with an incrementing numeric suffix so that you minimize the amount of work lost.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 10, 2018, 08:30:41 AM
Thank you for the reply.

Saving "updates"?  What sort of updates?
The updates to the TCW file when I click on the save icon.

Do the files actually have a ".tmp" suffix?
The tmp is a prefix. i.e. tmp0.TCW, tmp1.TCW

Your recommendation of saving every dozen or so changes would lose me far more time than my current situation.

Has anyone written a Windows shell/batch script to look for these tmp files as a scheduled task? 

* May 10, 2018, 09:38:38 AM
The tmp files should be I the same folder you normally save your drawing to.

See if this post and this post, helps you situation,  i.e. check if there are any dwl files showing up when TC is closed, they should be in the same folder you normally save the tcw file.

Other posts are more drastic, if the situation becomes more permanent, like files are always saved as tmp.  these posts suggest its may be a problem with windows user account,  I personally have not seen the problem you encountered, so I cannot say this will cure it.  see This thread and this thread, both point to UAC problems.

But if your problem is just once or twice a month its probably unlikely to be UAC

* May 10, 2018, 11:24:05 AM
Thank you for the reply,

I looked through the links and don't see any satisfactory solutions for my problem from TC. I'm going to use a scheduled shell script to check for new tmp files and also to check for and delete dwl files if TC is not running.

Thanks for all the help.

* May 11, 2018, 11:14:14 AM
Here is the windows batch file I am running to check if turbocad is already running and a dwl file exist. If both are negative it will open the file I need. WARNING only run if you are the only user accessing the file.

Code: [Select]
@echo off
SET tc=tcw22.exe
SET file_dir=C:\documents\*.dwl
SET file_tc=C:\documents\file.TCW
tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq %tc%" 2>NUL | find /I /N "%tc%">NUL

if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" echo Turbocad is running. Would you like to quit?(Y/N)
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" set INPUT=
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" set /P INPUT=Type input: %=%
If /I "%INPUT%"=="y" exit

DIR %file_dir%
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" echo DWL file exists. Would you like to quit?(Y/N)
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" set INPUT=
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" set /P INPUT=Type input: %=%
If /I "%INPUT%"=="y" exit

Start "" %file_tc%
echo Turbocad is starting
@pause