TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Convert to Curve is not "saving" ( Finally Got it )
Read 352 times
* May 03, 2018, 09:33:34 PM
I am using the "convert to curve" tool on a many segmented polyline, and then extruding the object. Then I change the 3D object from a "Solid" to a "TC Surface" of which I want and all is well.
But, if I close down the TC program and open it later, (like save to dropbox and open the file later) the converted curve (bezier) is gone and has reverted back to segmented polylines---as evidenced by the nature of the extrusion is now a solid and not a TC Surface. 

I need for the C to C (which converts polylines to a Bezier) to stick and stay.  Any ideas ? 

Thanks
Donnie
The attached image is what I am working on as an "Illustration"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:24:48 AM by DDriskell »

* May 03, 2018, 11:11:09 PM
Are you saving as a TCW file?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* May 04, 2018, 06:57:45 AM
Hi Nikki,
good point you bring up. Since I was using the TruboCAD's PDF2cad on a project, and choosing dxf as the format, I was continuing in that file format to complete my drawing and then save as TCW last, So it could be that is the problem.  I guess as soon as the PDF2cad converted the drawing, I should right then "save as" a TCW file.

Donnie

* May 04, 2018, 10:42:21 PM
I thought so - I don't think DXF use curves. Just arced polylines. - maybe the newer ones do though.

I lie I just checked saving a spline to DXF does work.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:57:39 PM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* May 05, 2018, 09:16:54 AM
To my disappointment it seems like I must be doing something wrong or I do not have a setting correct.
I even used the spline to fit points.
“Extruding” the curve initially is fast and makes the curve like it is one “object”. But for some reason when that file is reopened at a later time all of the “fixed points” in wireframe are exposed which makes out to hundreds of extruded lines. At first, the curve is truly like one object, but will not stay that way.

* May 05, 2018, 11:35:00 PM
Ah its not the spline that is changing format it is the extrusion.
I don't think it is something you are doing wrong. I think it is the same thing you had previously only now it is showing all the edges you don't want to see.
It has always done this to my drawings.
Hopefully someone else has a solution.
But if you are working in TCW save as TCW and only convert when you need to. You will save yourself a lot of frustration.
With all programs whenever you save to another format - something changes.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* May 06, 2018, 10:38:35 PM
You've said that you wanted to convert the extrusion to a surface, TC has two surface types.  One is TC surface, that you will get if you set your property to "surface" or explode a solid a couple of times.  TC surfaces have no capacity for curved surfaces, they're always faceted.
 The other type is zero-thickness ACIS sheet solid, created if you extrude an open profile, or if you've an extrusion created from a closed curved profile, select and modify|create surface|from solid.   If you need the object to be open rather than a closed-volume object, use facet editor to select and delete faces. 

* May 09, 2018, 07:43:52 AM
Ships Hull Frame
For my purposes, I finally figured out what I wanted to accomplish. Here are some screen shots of the results.  I traced out from a PDF plans. I traced out two separate "Spline by Fit Points". Then I used a single line at top of frame and one ployline at bottom of frame making sure that the V Snap was snapping correctly.  Then I DID NOT use the "Join polyline" like I had been doing in the previous attempts so many times.  Each curve is also selected and I entered a value of "2" in the number of adjacent points. The default is 20, and I am not sure if that has anything to do with my results or not, but I am satisfied with what I have now.  I can 3D slice and perform other actions on this.

May 09, 2018, 02:21:51 PM
That's a much cleaner result, but I would suggest creating a Box aligned to the Workplane and positioning it to be subtracted from the hull segment so that the frame of the porthole is horizontal.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1