TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Slice by Surface Conundrum
Read 1324 times
March 30, 2018, 10:06:31 AM
Attached is a part of a model of the stern of a ship.  The rounded stern is formed from vertical beziers lofted and then mirrored horizontally.  The rest of the hull is lofted from cross sections with side and plan sections as Guide lines.
The two red beziers are use to form a main deck as it is indifferent materials to the hull.  I have lofted the deck lines and tried slicing the stern by surface.  I does  not matter if I use the loft as is or converting it to a solid from the surface, the slicing fails as the error indicates it does not intersect the selected entity.  It looks like it does to me, so any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

regards
Colin Reid
TC2018 Pro Platinum 64 bit  + LW plugin on Win10 desktop and  Quad Intel i7 with 32GB RAM + 128GB  SSD and 2TB partitioned hard disk, NVidia 2GB video

March 30, 2018, 11:08:12 AM
Hi Colin...

Slice by Surface would not work for me either but as you know with TC there are more ways to accomplish an edit...  :D

Method I used.
1. Select both on the solids and make a copy (I entered 500 in the X delta)
2. Select the Profile you created trying to use as a slice line.
3. Shell Solid by -1500
4. Select Solid Subtract and engage the"Dont Remove Subtrahend"
5. Select the stern solids and select the shelled profile and subtract.
6. Move the copies back inline with the others (-500 in the X Delta)
7. Select Sold Subtract and engage the"Dont Remove Subtrahend" again
8. Select the taller copies and subract them with the others..
Done..

Attached my edit below:

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

March 30, 2018, 11:19:01 AM
Ignore all that...

Found why it would not work... You have Line Width Geometry on the beziers is ticked so the loft has thickness... untick recreate the loft it works...  ;)

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels

April 01, 2018, 03:54:51 AM
Darrel - nearly

Which version are you using as I got a different Properties page as the attachments.  The first is the beziers showing the Geometry removed and the second is of the loft of the beziers.  It failed the intersecting selected entity.  Is it due to the fact the the loft has geometry greyed out?

So I tried your first method.  I never knew shelling did that and useful knowledge.  But I had to make an alteration.  After Step 6, I found the second deletion took out the bottom part as well.  So, split the Step 5 deletion between top and bottom and then deleted the top part from the original to get what I wanted.

As always with TC, as you say there are more ways of skinning the cat.  Thanks for you help.

regards
Colin Reid
TC2018 Pro Platinum 64 bit  + LW plugin on Win10 desktop and  Quad Intel i7 with 32GB RAM + 128GB  SSD and 2TB partitioned hard disk, NVidia 2GB video

April 01, 2018, 06:54:39 AM
Hi Colin...

I was using TC2017 the same version as you... See attached.. I have the selection info palette enabled so it saves having to go into the properties (saves time  ;) )

Trying today it would not work though... What I have found it that TC is refusing to add the operation to the part tree. To be honest I very rarely work with it enabled as it often leads to edits not working.

I just opened your original file and turned off the "Create Editing History (Part Tree)" in the ACIS settings and it slices by surface even without changing the beziers and loft.

Daz…

* April 01, 2018, 08:17:39 AM
Attached is a part of a model of the stern of a ship.  The rounded stern is formed from vertical beziers lofted and then mirrored horizontally.  The rest of the hull is lofted from cross sections with side and plan sections as Guide lines.
The two red beziers are use to form a main deck as it is indifferent materials to the hull.  I have lofted the deck lines and tried slicing the stern by surface.  I does  not matter if I use the loft as is or converting it to a solid from the surface, the slicing fails as the error indicates it does not intersect the selected entity.  It looks like it does to me, so any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

colin,
workarounds are good but I would submit that drawing to IMSI to help improve the program.
Something is corrupt, i get un-expected results when setting up the" expert faceter parameters"  and  turning of "dengenerative faceting"
I'm curious why you prefer Beziers. have you tried working with and lofting 3D splines, they tend to do a good job with less problems.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

April 02, 2018, 04:57:39 AM
Dean
Over the years I have seen little evidence of IMSI "improving" the programme.  I have seen a lot of evidence of new features being added to new versions.  It would be nice if one year the went through and added requests from the Wish List, had a good look at the helpfile to make it understandable and the take the impenetrable error message pointing what you need to do the correct the error (they must know why).  Rant over.

I use beziers because you can edit a bezier to get non smooth at a point so that you can have right angle bend.  I found with splines it is very messy having to get many nodes around a right angle.  I was put straight on this a while back on this forum.

Darrel - Years ago I followed the advice to turn Part Tree off as I cannot see the point unless it is the reason for this irritating error.  I don't remember turning Part Tree back on, but you are right it works OK even with the geometry still on.  But problem solved and lesson learnt.  Thanks.

regards
Colin Reid

* April 02, 2018, 05:54:05 AM
Using beziers for 'knuckle' points isn't necessary, compound profile does it between any 2D figures if the ends are coincident.  That came around V10, the bezier knuckle thing came in V17.   

April 03, 2018, 05:21:49 AM
Murray
Compound Profiles is a new one for me.  I have used beziers as knuckle points as it works easily for me. 

regards
Colin Reid