TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Some bits & bobs
Read 7205 times
* February 02, 2010, 02:05:49 PM
I'm not a 3D professional but find Turbocad really useful for researching construction/renovation projects & other stuff that I'm involved with. I don't usually take my models to extreme detail as I just don't have enough patience. Maybe if I was being paid for it I would! :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:14:34 PM by yawningdog »

* February 02, 2010, 02:32:17 PM
I don't usually take my models to extreme detail as I just don't have enough patience. Maybe if I was being paid for it I would! :)
Myself I get burn out from doing to many 2d's at times.Than I just have to be in good mood to let my 3d skills come to play.To unwind from it all I read the forum and get some inspiration.They're sharp looking models.I like the timber frame one with that rustic timber and lighting makes stand out like sample model on display.The applied material attach to the timber gives that old wood look.

Nice Job!! :)
W.D.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:42:55 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* February 02, 2010, 02:38:30 PM
I'm not a 3D professional but find Turbocad really useful for researching construction/renovation projects & other stuff that I'm involved with. I don't usually take my models to extreme detail as I just don't have enough patience. Maybe if I was being paid for it I would! :)

Those are all first class work. The last one is particularly eye-catching.

Henry H

February 02, 2010, 03:05:28 PM

Wow!  I'm used to doing models of rocket vehicles and haven't got the knack just yet for TC's architectural tools.  Looks pretty great to me!

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016

* February 02, 2010, 04:28:29 PM
Really nice work! I started my career in construction so I can appreciate the framing details. I love the choice of materials.

* February 02, 2010, 04:53:21 PM
very nice works..how long have you been using TurboCAD for?
and are these works 100% done in TC?

February 02, 2010, 04:57:05 PM
Well done. Very, very nice renderings.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

February 02, 2010, 05:32:21 PM
Excellent work.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

February 02, 2010, 05:53:34 PM

February 02, 2010, 09:42:00 PM
Nice work! That crank assembly had to be a tricky one. Lofting?

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

February 02, 2010, 10:08:32 PM
Wow, love the lighting in 17 !  Beautiful stuff.  I agree, it's way too easy to get carried away with detail, but it's sure rewarding.  I usually spend more time than I estimate, so I often work on, uh, "undertime" - the longer you work, the less you get paid per hour.  All too familiar, right ?  Haha, start that hourly rate high ! 
Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

* February 03, 2010, 05:24:43 AM
Thank you all very much for your kind replies.

Just some notes for those who might be interested:

- The barn wood textures came from where I live, the oak posts came from a photo of an oak post in my house. The black boarding came from several photos of black boarding on the side of a barn. Each board is a separate image. The edgings of the roof tiles came from a photo of exactly that. I used "arbitrary plane" to match up the images to the objects...very confusing by the way.

- The other textures came from various places on the internet, a good source is: http://www.lemog.fr/lemog_textures/index.php

- I haven't used any architectural tools in any of my models. I always build accurately and to 1:1 scale.

- All of the work has been with Turbocad EXCEPT, the Bike Crank and Pedal came as a 3DS from "Turbosquid", http://www.turbosquid.com/3d. I was more focused upon the design of the "Power meter" unit and its internal components. It would be possible to create the crank etc from within Turbocad.

- Some of the images have been edited in Photoshop, such as the depth of field effect.

- The Turbocad version used was 11.

- My most commonly used tools are : 3d splice, 3d extract & 3d add. They make anything possible.

- I have been playing around with Turbocad for several years, but only started to get the hang of it after watching a series of free videos I found on the web. I can't remember what they were though, might have been CADcourse.

* February 03, 2010, 05:38:28 AM
It might be interesting to some people to see how I used TC in a real world context. I am a property developer, so I have used TC to visualize property concepts without having to get architects involved and spending large sums of money on projects that may never happen. The next few posts show how it has worked for me:

This is a small triangular plot of land in a rather awkward spot in Southampton, UK. TC has allowed me to test some building concepts with the local planning authority. Nothing yet decided.

This was to establish whether some conversion work could be done to the flat roof behind Woolworths. The red brick building complex to the rear had not yet been built, so it was useful to looking into the future this way.

* February 03, 2010, 05:44:50 AM
...some more...

This was to see what could be built in the place of the blue house.

This was to come up with a design for a shed that incorporated a secure shipping container.

MAGES : Large Garage 1&2
An idea for a garage with ancillary accommodation

* February 03, 2010, 05:51:51 AM
...some more...

This was a renovation project to convert a 1970's style house into a Victorian cottage. This one actually happened.

* February 03, 2010, 06:02:56 AM
...some more...

IMAGE: Bike
This is a pet project to design a bicycle power meter. Everything was created in TC except the crank arm & sprocket which came from "Turbosquid" as 3ds.

IMAGE: New Flats
This project involves creating a new house with basement and an extra floor above in the place of a derelict building in London.

IMAGE: Small Garage-2
Some closer views of textures that came from photos of various parts of my house

IMAGE: Model on table
Just playing with the idea of creating a "real" model.

February 03, 2010, 08:07:11 AM
Once again I commend you on a wonderful job, with all of your projects. BTW on the renderings, do you have the entire frame underneath each model, or just the ones where the frame is exposed?

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

February 03, 2010, 09:15:29 AM
Re: Just some notes for those who might be interested:

Thank you, I did find that interesting and inspiring.

Alan

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* February 03, 2010, 09:47:36 AM
Hi Kmartin, I would normally disable any layers that don't need to be seen in the render.

* February 05, 2010, 08:09:11 PM
Very nice work! I love to see examples of Turbo Cad at work in real life situations.

Steve

February 09, 2010, 08:40:00 PM
These are terrific images.  You've bolstered my confidence that TCAD was the right choice not only for the rendering tools, but for all my drawing as well.  I expected it would take some time to learn my way around, and it's going OK.  I'm avoiding going through the tutorials, and reluctant to give up the familiarity I've achieved with DesignCAD.  Haha, double trouble.  And the change is inevitable, I need the modeling power.  I'll look for those CADcourse tutorials.  How did you light the old barn ?  It's beautiful. 

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

* March 06, 2010, 09:35:34 AM
An impressive collection of images and an awful lot of work has gone into these. Well done!