TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

3D Add of 2 parts fails
Read 602 times
* March 20, 2018, 03:41:58 PM
I get
    'Operation Unsuccessful.
    Do you want to create a History Tree node?
when I try to Boolean Add 2 parts.
    I've tried removing one of the parts and re-inserting it from the library.
        This worked previously on a failure like this. However, this time, re-adding it from the library doesn't resolve the problem
    I also tried putting both parts on the same layer. But this fails the Boolean Add also.
How do I debug this failure?

* March 20, 2018, 04:09:35 PM
What does the Selection Info palette say about the two parts? Are either a Group, ACIS Solid or TC Surface?

If a Group, Explode once to remove the "Group" wrapper.
ACIS Solid and TC Surface are two different entities and can't be added together.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* March 21, 2018, 07:06:44 AM
Thanks for helping John,

Part A says:
    Part
        Depth  14
    Metrics
        Object type    Part

Part B says:
    Part
        Depth  2
    Metrics
        Object type    Part

So, neither part is a Group, ACIS or TC Surface.
And they're the same class of object...that is, a 'Part'
Depth is quite different...that is one is depth 14, the other is depth 2.
    Don't know why this would make a difference.

This has me scratching my head,
John

* March 21, 2018, 07:23:10 AM
New information:
    The part that's added from the Library is the combination of 2 objects, Object A 'Boolean Subtract'ed from Object B.
        If I take Object B and 'Boolean Add' this to my other part (before doing the 'Boolean Subtract', this works.
            Let's call this result Object C
        If I then take Object A and 'Boolean Subtract' this from Object C, this fails.
        So, I am guessing there is something wrong with Object C.
        Object C is a simple Extrude.
    So, I tried try re-creating Object C withing the model space, then doing the Boolean Subtract.
        This failed also...huh?

John

* March 21, 2018, 07:40:02 AM
So, when I did the 'Boolean Subtract', even though it fails, it asked me whether I want to create a history node.
    I said Yes.
        Then, when I look at the 'Part Tree' for the resultant Part, I see a 3D Subtract, which is colored in Red.
 First:
    What is a history node?
Second:
    Why is the 3D Subtract in the Part Tree colored in Red?

John

* March 21, 2018, 08:54:38 AM
It's best to attach the problem drawing (TCW). One could second-guess for days.

I always pass on creating a History node when I have a PartTree active. It just shows where something went wrong (colored in red). I only want to see what has worked.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* March 21, 2018, 10:25:02 AM
Thanks John,

I'll attach the file if my investigations fail.
Is it possible to 'backout' an operation by deleting the Part Tree information associated with that operation?
    For example, if I've done a boolean subtract, if I identify the Part Tree information for that exact operation, if I delete this, will this reverse that boolean subtract from the model?

John

* March 21, 2018, 11:52:06 AM
I identified the Part Tree information for a previous boolean subtract I had performed.
This put the material back which was removed by the boolean subtract operation.
I then performed a boolean subtract again and this time it succeeded.

I believe now the original failure of the boolean subtract operation was because I had performed a boolean subtract operation twice using the same object. The object being subtracted was identical, and placed in the exact same location as a previous operation. It seems TurboCAD cannot perform the same Boolean Subtract operation twice, even it the 2nd operation takes away more material. It somehow fails to identify the fact that the shape of the model has changed from the 1st operation to the 2nd. This seems like a bug, if you ask me.

If TurboCAD works this way, this is wonderful news. This means individual Boolean Operations can be backed out without needing to 'Undo' all operations performed after that operation.
I have an extremely complicated model, which is built from many library components, which are fairly complicated models themselves. My process was to build a new version of the model from scratch each time. It seems like this is not necessary, if you can identify the component in the Part Tree associated with a particular step in the build process.
Is this true?

John

* March 21, 2018, 03:43:20 PM
Select the "PartTree" line in the Selection Info palette window, then hit the "Star" key in the numeric keypad to fully expand the tree. Right-click on each line to see what options are available; delay, delete, etc.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* March 21, 2018, 06:26:12 PM
Thanks for your help John,

I was finally able to resolve all the issues with my model.
It was a combination of issues, but in the end they all went away..
Hooray!

I love that the Part Tree can be used to edit the model...this makes good sense now that I have used it as it was intended.

John

* March 21, 2018, 08:32:15 PM
Good to hear that you're back on track.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Windows 10, 64-bit