TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Need more help or videos
Read 10894 times
February 02, 2010, 05:15:27 AM
Jerry or somebody else, I need more help.
It would be very good with some more videos about this plugin.
If it is as good as I think, please make more videos.

How do I make the terrain more smooth?
What is the most right way to make a model, and how do I make the profile and and cross section, and place a road in the model?
Look at my video:
www.turbocad.no/SurfaceModeling/SurfaceModeling2.wmv
Here is the map www.turbocad.no/SurfaceModeling/a_map.tcw

Does SurfaceModeling2 work with Windows 7?

Kai Sannes
TC Pro platinum v16
Windows XP

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:14:56 AM by KS »

Kai Sannes, DAKnor. Norwegain TurboCAD seller and instructor.
Laptop ASUS G75V. -  Ram 16 GB - Windows 8.1
Intel Core i7-3630QM, 2,4GHz  (CPU Benchmark 7.674)
Nvidia Geforce GTX, 670M, 3GB  (Video Benchkark 1.910)

* February 02, 2010, 08:20:55 AM
Hi, and thanks for your questions. I will answer them in a series of responces.

To make a model more smooth you need more triangles. This is done by using 'Max Area' for triangles or by creating a triagulated grid in the 'Surface Type' dialog box. This is exactly why these choices are there. With 'Max area' the existing triangle are sub-devided until no triangle has an area greater then the value specified. With 'Triangulated Grid' you just specify the grid size. In this case, however, non-square shaped models can get some real wierd edges due to the interpolation of the corners. But, remember, unnessary triagles can just be deleted.

Regards,
Jerry

* February 02, 2010, 08:42:50 AM
I havn't tried Windows 7 but Profiles and Cross-sections seems to be broken under Vista. I expect that to be the same in Windows 7. When I can test it I will let you know.

I have tested TurboCAD 17 beta. Things work the same as in version 16... the good and the not so good, e.g. the menu problem remains.

Regards,
Jerry

February 02, 2010, 02:04:16 PM
Thank you.

First of all. Look at this new video, where I clean everything that does not belong to the 3D model (2 minutes). www.turbocad.no/SurfaceModeling/SurfaceModelingClean3D.wmv

Will it now work fine if I select everything (Ctrl+A) and create the surface as triangles. (The button no: 5.)
I do not have to use button no:. 2 first, and then create Surface, or what?) (look at the image under.)
What value should I give Max Area?
And what other setting do you suggest for my map?
(I use meter)

What is MaxArea?

Is it right to use Natural Neighbor?

Regards
Kai

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:18:14 PM by KS »

* February 02, 2010, 02:54:51 PM
First of all. Look at this new video, where I clean everything that does not belong to the 3D model (2 minutes). www.turbocad.no/SurfaceModeling/SurfaceModelingClean3D.wmv
I looked at the video. To use the other data is good and should work and you should use create triangles. If you don't then If a triangle is too steep then polynomial interpolation cant give good results.
The system considers lines and polygons in the data as break-lines. Break lines must not cross each other. Otherwise you they can't be used as such.

Will it now work fine if I select everything (Ctrl+A) and create the surface as triangles. (The button no: 5.)
I am trying it and its not quit working. TurboCAD crashes and I am looking into it.
You data creates over 100000 triangles.

I do not have to use button no:. 2 first, and then create Surface, or what?) (look at the image under.)
I do get it to work that way but I still dont like the resuls

What value should I give Max Area?
10 or 1.  The number of triangle will at least triple.

And what other setting do you suggest for my map?
(I use meter)

What is MaxArea?
Maximum size of a triangle. All interbolations accept thin plate slpine uses triangles as an intermediate step.

Is it right to use Natural Neighbor?It depends on the data. In this case yes

February 02, 2010, 03:31:55 PM
Thank you.

I will study more tomorrow. It is 0:45 over midnight, and I have to go to bed.

I am home alone this week with my son, and I have to take care of him tomorrow early. Send him at school. My wife is i Mali in Africa just now and there it is 46 degree Celsius, and here in Norway it is extremly cold and winterstormy. :-)

Here is the link to the file I saved after the last movie.
www.turbocad.no/SurfaceModeling/mapClean3D_1.tcw

Thank you for helping me with this.

As I told you ealier, I believe in your plugin, and it will do TurboCAD mush more interesting for many people. More sale on me.

Good night

kai

* February 02, 2010, 07:18:44 PM
The attached JPEG is what you should get.
You will need an update.

February 03, 2010, 03:48:02 AM
Thank you Jerry.

I have two more questins.
1: What value did you use in Max Area and did you use Natural Neighbor?
2: Did you make the model from the contours only?

I will try it once more with the new dll., and wrap it with an air photo.

Best Regards
Kai Sannes

* February 03, 2010, 06:39:41 AM
1) I did not use 'Max Area' I did need it after seeing the result. When 'create triangle' is selected for create surface I use qubic spline and you don't get a choice. Maybe I should change it so you can choose especially considering the break-line you need to incorporate. But break-line is another lessen all together.

2) Yes it is from contours only. I think the building footprints can be added because the should not cross the contours. Others need to be considered differently. I will explain more in the near future.

Best Regards,
Jerry Simington

February 03, 2010, 03:43:24 PM
Finally after near 2,5 houer the model was finished.
I use data from contourlines only, and  with no Max Aera.
This was of course a very big model, with 103000 triangles as Jarry said, but I should wish it was faster.

Am I right if I say that SM works best on smaller models than this?

My last video: www.turbocad.no/surfacemodelling/terrengFerdig.wmv

Kai Sannes
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:47:14 PM by KS »

February 03, 2010, 03:57:27 PM
Kai,

I got much faster renders by reducing the number of lights.  You may want to experiment with that.

Regards,

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* February 03, 2010, 04:26:47 PM
To use the other points, lines, and polygon in that drawing you must turn off 'enforce break-lines' If you don't your system will seem to lock up because crossing break-lines confuses the software and you will need to kill TC to try again.

The best approch is to creat triangle first before you use them to create a surface. The reason is that the triangles you get will not be exactly what you need I garontee it. Then you use the 'edit triangles' tool to edit the triangle set by switching the diagnol of adjacent triangles, there is a movie. Or simply delete the triangles you don't need or want.

Also consider the approch of seperating the contours from the data for other structures and create seperate triangle sets and/or surfaces.

Regards,
Jerry Simington

February 03, 2010, 04:27:13 PM
OK.
How many lights do you use?

Kai

February 03, 2010, 04:51:05 PM
To use the other points, lines, and polygon in that drawing you must turn off 'enforce break-lines'  If you don't your system will seem to lock up because crossing break-lines confuses the software and you will need to kill TC to try again.

OK. That is a good answere. I have killed my TC several times the 24 hours on this .

'enforce break-lines' I think this is what I want.

The best approch is to creat triangle first before you use them to create a surface. The reason is that the triangles you get will not be exactly what you need I garontee it. Then you use the 'edit triangles' tool to edit the triangle set by switching the diagnol of adjacent triangles, there is a movie. Or simply delete the triangles you don't need or want.

I have tried this switching. I understand. Do you have a link to that movie?

Also consider the approch of seperating the contours from the data for other structures and create seperate triangle sets and/or surfaces.
( I will think of this to tomorrow, now it's time for bed again. )

* February 03, 2010, 06:18:51 PM
I know that you want to 'enforce breake-line' but it doesn't work when they cross. The problem is that the z at the place where they cross can not be determined.

Remember it is when break-lines cross that causes a problem and many of yours don't and are ok to use, hense the separation approach, e.g. divide and conqour. 

I don't have a link for editing triangles. My comment came from memory of it but it isn't on my site. I will keep looking and I will create another which I think is needed since this is such a huge topic when you have break-lines that can not be enforced automatically.

The attached image is a modal that used all of your data from tha last drawing with 'enforce break-line' turned off. Clearly triangle editing as well as editing of some of the other imput data is required before a surface is created.

114000+ triangles.

Regards,
Jerry

* February 08, 2010, 12:42:34 PM
New movie about editing triangles...

http://www.surfacemodeling.com/Movie/editing-triangles-1a/editing-triangles-1a.html

Let me know what you think.

* February 08, 2010, 03:25:54 PM
Here is a new movie about incorporating break-lines into your terrain modal...

http://www.surfacemodeling.com/Movie/data-and-break-lines-1/data-and-break-lines-1.html

Please let me know what you think...

Also, if you want me to look at something specific in the model, please let me know...

Best regards,
Jerry Simington

* February 10, 2010, 06:07:55 PM
Iv'e added another video for you.

http://www.surfacemodeling.com/Movie/road-center-lines-road-edge-lines-as-break-lines/road-center-lines-road-edge-lines-as-break-lines.html

All, please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Jerry Simington

February 14, 2010, 06:04:19 AM
Thank you Jerry

I am very busy because I will start a 15 weeks course with 17 studens in just a few days.
I have to buy 10 more PC and test TC with Win 7 and much more.
I will study your videos more in the next month.

Kai

* February 19, 2010, 05:14:41 PM
I have posted an important update relavent to this issue ... http://www.surfacemodeling.com/Updates/SurfaceModel.zip
See http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,2489.0.html

Jerry Simington

* June 15, 2010, 05:06:30 PM

I am working on this request. I will post an update soon.

Regards,
Jerry Simington