TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Working with roof slabs
Read 714 times
* March 16, 2018, 12:22:52 PM
I have two drawings attached, they are the same drawing but I wanted to give the overall view and then a zoomed in so my text could be more easily read. I am wondering if there are tools for more elaborate shaping of roof slabs. Just slicing them at certain planes is not always adequate. 3d subtracting doesn't seem to work with roof slabs and the miter tool doesn't seem to do anything for me here.
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
Thanks

-John
using TC Pro Platinum 2017

* March 16, 2018, 12:47:09 PM
Hi JohnH

This is not drawings, but picture's of a drawing.
Attach a *.tcw, if not possible this one, then another with similar problem.

That aside, would you build the roof's like your picture show's in real world ??

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* March 16, 2018, 12:58:42 PM
OK I cleaned up a file to send with just the applicable parts.
Yes I am going to build this. This is not an uncommon thing for me to build, I have been doing this sort of thing for 30 years.

Thanks

-John

* March 16, 2018, 01:16:59 PM
Hi JohnH

I was thinking about build it the same way it looks like you try to draw it.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 16, 2018, 01:54:57 PM
Thanks... valuable advice.   ;)
I have been using TC in one form or another since the early days probably 20 years but all 2d. It's only been in the past year or so the I have taken it upon myself to learn the 3d capabilities just for something new to learn. In the past I would have handled this problem simply by making some cross section 2d drawings based on my elevations etc and then some pencil sketches and I probably would have built a model.
I would take all that to my guys on the site and they would make it happen. The drawing as I have it would suffice for envisioning and  building it.
The construction of it is not the problem. I am just trying to learn how to draw in 3d mode and I was wondering if there we some was of manipulating the roof slab that I am not seeing in the help files or anywhere else.
I appreciate your patience with an old guy like me just trying to learn a new language.
Thanks,

-John

* March 16, 2018, 02:40:34 PM
On roof slab you can add nodes with the edit tool and pretty much drag them where you want, only be aware that it like best edges/ lines, not vertices to snap on/ to.
BTW, i am for sure not a youngster myself ;)
And by the version's i know i have played with TC in 3D for about 9 years now, before that it was Autocad in mainly 2D for about 20 year

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 16, 2018, 02:58:45 PM
HA! I forgot about being able to add nodes. Dang, way to much to try and remember.
I think I got it close enough for now.
Thanks for triggering this thought. Now I will have to remember for next time. ;D

-John

* March 16, 2018, 04:11:20 PM

Thanks

Cant open a 2017 file .... So,

You could just draw a 3D Box .... Height / width / Depth to suit the area of infill .... Make the Width and Height bigger than required, as you need to over lap the roof. (at this stage)

Copy your Roof and paste. (else where on the screen / or just save to a separate work file)
Explode the roof panels.
Click on a perspective View ... then using the X Y Z Toggles ...
"Edit Reference Point" >> Reference the Top plane on the bottom LHS corner of the 3D box
PLAN VIEW >>  Place on the bottom LHS corner of the roof
PERSPECTIVE View >> (XYZ) ... Rotate the 3D box to the pitch of roof >> Now Lift it and clip it to the Roof corner.
PLAN VIEW >>  Snaps >> Ortho >> Now slide the box so that it overlaps both planes of roof ... and shows a "Valley" to both sides of the existing roof.

TOOL >> 3D Slice >> Using reference lines ... and rotating the drawing >> Just Slice and Dice the 3D box.

Now that its Shaped to suit >>> Just "Edit Reference Point" the 3D box on a Fixed / clip-able point of the exploded roof >> and place it in your Roof Model.

The above will get you to what your after .. and further use of 3D tools will improve the End results.

Cheers
Mike

* March 16, 2018, 10:46:47 PM
But that wouldn't be a roof slab. Roof slabs in 2017 are better then the early versions of roof slabs . They can act as wall modifiers. They usually automatically created from the normal roof tool.  It is easier to manipulate them then solids or surfaces.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* March 21, 2018, 05:23:33 AM

Thanks

Cant open a 2017 file .... So,

You could just draw a 3D Box .... Height / width / Depth to suit the area of infill .... Make the Width and Height bigger than required, as you need to over lap the roof. (at this stage)

Copy your Roof and paste. (else where on the screen / or just save to a separate work file)
Explode the roof panels.
Click on a perspective View ... then using the X Y Z Toggles ...
"Edit Reference Point" >> Reference the Top plane on the bottom LHS corner of the 3D box
PLAN VIEW >>  Place on the bottom LHS corner of the roof
PERSPECTIVE View >> (XYZ) ... Rotate the 3D box to the pitch of roof >> Now Lift it and clip it to the Roof corner.
PLAN VIEW >>  Snaps >> Ortho >> Now slide the box so that it overlaps both planes of roof ... and shows a "Valley" to both sides of the existing roof.

TOOL >> 3D Slice >> Using reference lines ... and rotating the drawing >> Just Slice and Dice the 3D box.

Now that its Shaped to suit >>> Just "Edit Reference Point" the 3D box on a Fixed / clip-able point of the exploded roof >> and place it in your Roof Model.

The above will get you to what your after .. and further use of 3D tools will improve the End results.

Cheers
Mike

Yes, this is a good way to do it, thanks for the suggestion. It would be nice if one could modify a roof slab this way, slice and dice it and then put it all back together and then have it still be a roof slab but from what I can see, that is not possible.
Thanks!

-John

* March 21, 2018, 10:05:19 AM

Yes, this is a good way to do it, thanks for the suggestion. It would be nice if one could modify a roof slab this way, slice and dice it and then put it all back together and then have it still be a roof slab but from what I can see, that is not possible.
Thanks!

It is possible -- sort of. After slicing and dicing, trace the result with a Polyline, hide or delete it,  and apply Convert to Roof Slab to the Polyline.

Henry H

* March 21, 2018, 09:29:11 PM
You can slice roof slabs, they are still  roof slabs after you have sliced them.
But you cant union them because they convert to surfaces. I just edit nodes and move to the vertices or edges , where I need them to be .
 If you want to join 2 slabs on different planes, you miter them. (The advantage to keeping them as separate slabs, is the ability to have  different eaves heights, and overhangs and more complex roof shapes..)
You can trim or extend roof slabs to existing planes.
Add holes to roof slabs using the old slab hole modifier tool.
The old roof tool is more automatic so I generally I start with the old roof tool and convert it to slabs if needed.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks