TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Silly...how do you get out of the 'Edit Tool'
Read 613 times
* March 01, 2018, 02:00:09 PM
I'm double clicking on an object and it's putting me into the 'Edit Tool', which makes sense.
    But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get out of this tool.
        I thought esc would do it, but this does nothing that I can tell.
            Closing and re-opening does it, but I've got edits I can't afford to lose.

Sorry for such a silly question...but I'm stumped. I feel like I'm driving on a train track that goes in circles.
    I'm usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out, but TurboCAD is one of those tools that's non-intuitive...for me anyhow.

John

* March 01, 2018, 02:11:51 PM
Normally one can exit by pressing the space bar, which is the same as clicking the select tool.

* March 01, 2018, 02:30:05 PM
Thanks Andy,

Last time it happened, clicking on the select tool didn't get me out.
    I'll try pressing the spacebar next time.

I'm also having trouble using the click and drag to select a component I've pulled out of the Library.
    If I click and drag up and to the left (select everything entirely inside selection box) this object selects fine.
        But, if I click and drag up and to the right (the entire object is definitely inside the selection box) nothing gets selected.
    I can draw a line and drag up and to the right selection works fine.
        It only fails with this particular object.
            Is there something wrong with the object?
            Is the object not on the current workplane?
                No. Placing on the current workplace did not solve it.

John

* March 01, 2018, 02:36:17 PM
New evidence...
    If I pull the component out of the library and place it into the current model, up and to the right selection does not work.
        However, if I select it by doing a up and to the left select, then explode the object, the component can be up and to the right selected without issue.
What does this mean about the library component?
   I'm confused.

John

* March 01, 2018, 03:06:49 PM
Sorry John,  I assumed you meant the edit tool in which case the spacebar should work, however after just checking.

Your double click may be putting you into group or block edit mode (if you are double clicking on a group, symbol or block, if you double clicked a group or symbol, go into the selection palette and see if a green tick is available at the top, (finish edit contents), or press CTRL+Shift+G.

If you double clicked on a block you can go into the block palette and finish edit contents..

The double click action is set in selector properties (first icon after inspection bar fields) - general,  and can be set to edit contents or properties. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:16:10 PM by Andy H »

* March 01, 2018, 03:08:04 PM
Oh,  about your symbols, I gave it a try and it worked ok for me,  can you post a simple fine which has the problem.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:10:23 PM by Andy H »

* March 01, 2018, 03:26:46 PM
Andy,

Here's a library component which has the problem I was talking about.
   After placing it in a model, try doing an up and to the right select (enclosing it entirely).
      This should fail...why?

John

* March 01, 2018, 03:54:14 PM
Andy,

I see now that the 'Object Type' of this library component (after pulling it into a model) is 'Group of graphics', with 5 Members.
    Does this explain why is cannot be up and to the right selected?
    Makes no sense to me.

John

* March 01, 2018, 04:23:44 PM
The reason it will not select left to right (close up), is due to the part tree information,  select the part, either go into group edit mode, or click the + sign against group' in the selection palette, expand the part tree, click the '+' against the 3D subtract entry, to show its extrude, then click the simple extrude entry (under the 3D subtract, not the separate one at the bottom of part tree), you will see that the part tree has retained information on you original drawing.

You can select left to right if you drag the window large enough away from it to also select this part tree information,  personally I wouldn't include part tree information in symbols, but that's just me - other may prefer to use the part tree in symbols. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:46:22 PM by Andy H »

* March 02, 2018, 12:18:45 PM
Thanks, Andy,

I see what you mean.
    Is there a way to delete the part tree information and then re-save the symbol?

John

* March 02, 2018, 12:24:04 PM
Andy,

I think I found how to do it.
   I select the Simple Extrude underneath 3D Subtract (using left click), then right click, then click Delete.

And I agree with you...I don't think the part tree information is useful in a symbol.

Thanks again!
John

* March 02, 2018, 12:34:50 PM
Oops!

I was premature.
    The new part is not the same as the old part.
        Without the part tree information, the boolean subtract is missing...
            Obviously, because I removed the simple extrude, which was the part that I deleted using boolean subtract.
OK, well, maybe I don't have an answer...perhaps it's better to deal with the selection difficulty for now.

John

* March 02, 2018, 01:04:12 PM
Hi John.

To delete the part tree information and change the part to a solid (without altering the part),  select the part, in the selection palette at the top, click edit contents, this will put TC into group edit mode with only the part showing, click the part,  then explode once, (the normal way one explodes any object). click the green arrow to exit group edit mode, the selection palette should now say ACIS solid.

The above will leave the part as a group exactly as it is now,  but without any part tree information.   

* March 02, 2018, 01:05:40 PM
As you know, the reason select (closed) was not working is because the symbol includes all objects that were used to create the part.
    One of the objects used was a rectangular cube, which was what was subtracted from the part via the Boolean Subtract Tool.
        This rectangular cube was much larger than the rest of the part...much larger than it needed to be.
            What's confusing is that this object is not always shown when you select the completed symbol(for example open select).
                I learned how to reduce confusion during symbol selection by reducing the size of objects used with Boolean Subtract.
                    This was so obvious (NOT) from the symptoms of the problem.
    I was creating generic objects to do boolean subtracts...very large objects that worked for many different cases.
        With your help, I learned this is not a good thing to do.

Thanks yet again,
John

* March 02, 2018, 01:17:28 PM
OK Andy,

So, you just showed me the 1st reason I might want to create an ACIS solid.
    Up til now, I haven't had the need.
        My process is to create 2 different versions of symbols:
            Version 1 (I call src):
                Retain high level build information, such that I can make easy modifications
            Version 2 (I call a partn, where n is revision number):
                Retain less high level information
                Perform all boolean subtracts and adds
                Add cross-hairs (center lines) for positioning

In your opinion, is it better to save a symbol (what I call a part) as an ACIS solid?

John

* March 02, 2018, 02:27:05 PM
That's a tough one for me to answer John given the scenario's you stated. 

I don't use the part tree very often, so in my situation I tend to save things as named ACIS solids (i.e. no part tree info).  Others may prefer to always use the part tree.  As you are wishing to retain editing functions, I agree with yourself that saving the symbol with all part tree information intact is the best way to go,  if you find that in some drawings that information is not required simply exploding once will remove the part tree info and just require any 2D profiles to be deleted..

* March 02, 2018, 03:08:49 PM
I'm glad to hear my process is not totally rediculous.
    I sense you've used TurboCAD for some time and value your opinion.
        I've been using TurboCAD for about 24 months and it's been slow in getting the hang of it.
        I find it's easy to get started on most tools, but to become a master takes a really long time and trying out a lot of different tricks.

John