TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

When I add two solids one of them dissappears
Read 518 times
* February 22, 2018, 07:10:06 PM
Hi,
I've been working with TurboCAD v11 Pro for quite a while and I can't recall this issue before.

I have a hollowed cube, sliced in half.   I wanted to extend it so I sliced it, lengthened the slice, and then attempted to ADD then two solids back together.

Oddly, no matter what I do, One of the two solids disappears.  I can't say I recall this happening before.
I tried shutting the program down and restarting.   Then I tried shutting the computer completely down and restarting.  No change.

If the two solids are not intersecting at all and there is even the smallest gap between them, they will ADD together just fine.  Only when they are intersecting and I attempt to ADD them does one of them disappear and it's always the same one.

They are on the same layer and both Solids.    Both Black

Anyone seen this and know what is happening?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:45:07 PM by CapricornOne »

TurboCAD v11 Professional

* February 22, 2018, 07:57:31 PM
Please post the .tcw file.

Henry H

* February 22, 2018, 08:05:36 PM
I have no idea why I did it......but I performed an SAT Heal process on both solids.....

Seems to have solved the problem.

Clueless in Seattle.   NEVER had to use SAT healing in all my years using TC

* February 23, 2018, 04:25:14 PM
Facet edit, even in V11, lets you select the outer and internal end faces of a shelled cube and just move them the distance you want, without the slicing and adding, and whatever else you did, which is pretty much unnecessary makework.   I wouldn't recommend facet edit if you were using the part tree, but if you were using the part tree, you wouldn't have to slice/add/etc to make that change anyway...  In V11, you can create that hollow box by NormalExtruding a rectangle (compound profile checked) with a line or polyline or curve for a path and shell it, or even fillet the edges then shell it.  Making the path longer makes the extrude longer, filleting/shelling are persistent features that remain even if you alter the size of the rectangular profile or length and angle of the path. 

When you perform booleans, try to have overlapping parts instead of having them meet exactly.  Having faces coincident in space is called a "degenerate" condition in CAD.  It causes logical errors within the 3D kernel, which you've seen the result of.  They've developed ACIS a lot and it's not nearly as common as it used to be, even if you do create degenerate conditions. 

* February 23, 2018, 07:06:21 PM
Facet edit, even in V11, lets you select the outer and internal end faces of a shelled cube and just move them the distance you want, without the slicing and adding, and whatever else you did, which is pretty much unnecessary makework.   I wouldn't recommend facet edit if you were using the part tree, but if you were using the part tree, you wouldn't have to slice/add/etc to make that change anyway...  In V11, you can create that hollow box by NormalExtruding a rectangle (compound profile checked) with a line or polyline or curve for a path and shell it, or even fillet the edges then shell it.  Making the path longer makes the extrude longer, filleting/shelling are persistent features that remain even if you alter the size of the rectangular profile or length and angle of the path. 

When you perform booleans, try to have overlapping parts instead of having them meet exactly.  Having faces coincident in space is called a "degenerate" condition in CAD.  It causes logical errors within the 3D kernel, which you've seen the result of.  They've developed ACIS a lot and it's not nearly as common as it used to be, even if you do create degenerate conditions.

You know, I've probably only used a small fraction of what this program is capable of.   I'll have to try that.   Been using TC11 Pro for maybe 10 years now and I keep finding new little things all the time.  Still amazing IMO