TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Turning STEP file objects into solid 3D TurboCAD objects
Read 605 times
* February 20, 2018, 05:07:24 PM
I have obtained some 3D engineering drawings from various manufacturers that I want to convert to attractive TurboCAD objects that look like the real item. When I up-group a STEP object to the point that the entire drawing is not selected as an entity, I am left with polylines. I am at a loss how to convert groups of polylines that define a component of a larger structure into a solid 3D object in TurboCAD. I searched the TC-16 manual without finding what I was looking for, but I may have searched for the wrong things.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

TurboCAD 16 Pro
Windows 10 64 bit Pro
24 GB RAM
2 4-core CPUs.

Thanks!

* February 20, 2018, 07:41:03 PM
If "conversion" is really necessary, the feasibility of the process depends upon how complex the object is. Can you post a typical example?

Henry H

* February 20, 2018, 11:00:16 PM
If "conversion" is really necessary, the feasibility of the process depends upon how complex the object is. Can you post a typical example?

Sure, Henry, no problem. Actually, I'd be happy not to convert things to solids if I could figure out how to group things so I could make the metalic part of the phone jack look metalic with the correct or normal metals for such a part. The nut and washer are fine, but the body of the rest of the connector is not. A better example might be a toggle switch, but this should work. In the attached all I was trying to do is to make the solder lugs out of brass.

* February 20, 2018, 11:51:33 PM
If you're saying that you want to apply materials to some faces of the object, you can use facet editing to select the faces that you want to apply that material to and modify|modify 3D object|create surface |from faces, keep the original object.  That creates a separate group of faces, a subset of the part's.

* February 21, 2018, 12:31:01 AM
If you are wishing it to look 'real life', it won't (without some alteration to the part),  the washer/insulators and the metal are added together as a solid object, they cannot be simply separated.  Without the original step file, it is unknown if this is particular to TC v16 or whether it happens with other TC versions, assuming it was not originally drawn that way.

As Murray says, one can use the facet edit tool to change the material of certain faces, but its not going to look 'real life' if that is the intent,  if you can live with it looking reasonably correct the facet edit tool should work fine.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:32:58 AM by Andy H »

February 21, 2018, 01:57:15 AM
Alternatively, why not just redraw the various components in TurboCAD?
TurboCAD v16 is more than capable of doing this and producing a realistic rendering.

It's tempting to take shortcuts, by finding a suitable object ready-drawn.
This can work, as much as it cannot!

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* February 21, 2018, 02:08:45 AM
That's a fairly simple part, and Murray's technique works just fine. What materials would you like for the other components?

Henry H

* February 21, 2018, 07:15:05 AM
If you're saying that you want to apply materials to some faces of the object, you can use facet editing to select the faces that you want to apply that material to and modify|modify 3D object|create surface |from faces, keep the original object.  That creates a separate group of faces, a subset of the part's.

Murray,

Thank you very much! In all the years I've been using TurboCAD (since version 4.0), Facet editing is something I had never used, and it is exactly what I was looking for. Again my thanks for pointing this decrepit, 76-year old fart in the right direction.

* February 21, 2018, 12:58:55 PM
Surfaces created in this way can often be converted directly into solids if the missing face/s of the open shell are planar, cylindrical or cylindrical section, and sometimes even when they aren't, by selecting the surface group (standard select, not facet edit select) and modify|modify 3D objects|create solid|from surface.  All of the solder lugs on that fitting can be solidified by that process.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:18:37 PM by murray dickinson »