TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Buy new version or stick with v11 Pro ?
Read 466 times
* February 18, 2018, 11:09:44 AM
I'm once again at a point where I'm wondering if I need to buy a new version.  Happens every year or every release of a new version of Windows

After looking at the product comparisons, it seems there really is no choice but to go Platinum since too many "essential" functions are not available except in the Platinum version.   Mind you, $1500 is WAY above my comfort zone and this would be a very difficult purchase for me, yet I use TC enough to justify it....eventually.

The question is.....should I?

Honestly, v11 Pro has done me well and I don't find myself feeling left out or lacking in any tools I need.
One of the biggest reasons I'm thinking of this is that I had a really hard time getting v11 up and running in Windows10 and I fear that one or two more Windows version and v11 will no longer work.

Of course, I could always keep a non-Internet connected machine on Windows 7 for example and use it on that indefinitely.

I see no point in buying anything less than Platinum because the other version are stripped so bare...they don't even include Lofting for example.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.   If I can stay with V11 PRO, I have a feeling that's probably my best option as it has so many features that you have to go Platinum in the new versions to get (even though the v11 routines are obviously less powerful)

It's somewhat the same question of buying a new car, if the old reliable one still works fine.  Either will get you there.  Right?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:14:10 AM by CapricornOne »

TurboCAD v11 Professional

* February 18, 2018, 11:53:36 AM
Personally, I won't answer a question "should I upgrade", because all versions may have flaws that will never be fixed, and I don't want to advise someone to upgrade, only to find it has a flaw that the user used to rely on, but now doesn't work.

That said,  for me, the main question is whether you need 64 bit processing, if, in v11 you regularly hit an out of memory error, or failed renders, then you need 64 bit, something like TC v21 (which is also the last version to have Lightworks rendering built-in).  V19 was the first version to go 64 bit and one or two things didn't work as well as they should (for me at least).

If you never get out of memory, or failed renders, then 32 bit is fine.

There are plenty of the newer things that I miss whenever I open v11, but that's simply because I have got used to the newer tools.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:55:37 AM by Andy H »

* February 18, 2018, 12:00:43 PM
Personally, I won't answer a question "should I upgrade", because all versions may have flaws that will never be fixed, and I don't want to advise someone to upgrade, only to find it has a flaw that the user used to rely on, but now doesn't work.

That said,  for me, the main question is whether you need 64 bit processing, if, in v11 you regularly hit an out of memory error, or failed renders, then you need 64 bit, something like TC v21 (which is also the last version to have Lightworks rendering built-in).  V19 was the first version to go 64 bit and one or two things didn't work as well as they should (for me at least).

If you never get out of memory, or failed renders, then 32 bit is fine.

There are plenty of the newer things that I miss whenever I open v11, but that's simply because I have got used to the newer tools.

Thanks Andy,
I wasn't aware of the 64 bit vs 32 bit issue.
Fortunately, I never get those errors, probably because my drawings are not that complex I suppose.

Ok, I'll take this as one vote for stay with v11 Pro   :)

TurboCAD v11 Professional

February 19, 2018, 03:44:24 AM
            I personally think V11 Pro was one of the best versions ever. I upgraded to V-12 Pro (didn't like that one), then V-14 Pro (this one was OK),  then V-16 Pro then to V 21 Pro.
           V-16 pro is a good version, not as good as V 11 Pro.
 V-21 Pro is quarkie when trying to position 3D objects.
           What I like about V-11Pro is the ability to use VBA. I have a machine that has Window XP that is not hooked to the internet and when drawing patterns for sheet metal fittings I use V-11 Pro for the VBA.

* February 19, 2018, 09:06:15 AM
I left my old TC 10 versions so long that even the 'Pro' did not qualify towards an upgrade. Returning to TC after a decade, I was horrified to discover the new 'Deluxe' *still* had legacy 3D Boolean issues, so I'd need 'Pro' both for x64 memory handling and ACIS' robust Booleans. This, um, 'significantly delayed' resumption of my Medieval-ish project. Luckily, I had hardware build problems --Courier totally trashed my pre-populated mobo-- and, by the time I'd resolved that set-back, TC had a discounted offer...