TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

PDF Print Driver in TurboCAD
Read 1592 times
* February 16, 2018, 12:59:02 AM
It would be very helpful to have the ability to print from TurboCAD without using a third party application to create a PDF document.  TurboPDF is nice, but there are more tools than needed to simply send someone a PDF of the drawing layouts. 

* February 16, 2018, 05:59:40 AM
Have you try'd to use "Microsoft print to PDF" that come with windows, at least i see it in win 10.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* February 16, 2018, 09:08:41 AM
All editions, from Designer to Platinum, have "PDF" as a ‘Save As’ option. It's not the greatest, but it's something. That's why most people turn to 3rd party applications.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* March 25, 2018, 09:46:20 AM
John R wrote:
[...] "have "PDF" as a ‘Save As’ option" [...]

Yes, which is very confusing. Using "save as" implies transforming the current drawing into something else.

This functionality belongs to exporting, or printing in case of pdf. Same for .stl format used by 3D-printers. I really want to export a stl file, not convert the drawing to that. Any time the user wants to make an exported file he has to close the new stl file drawing and re-open the tcw.

Please, add a menü "file -export" and put some used file formats therein.

Have fun,
KG

* March 25, 2018, 10:38:06 AM
John R wrote:
[...] "have "PDF" as a ‘Save As’ option" [...]

Yes, which is very confusing. Using "save as" implies transforming the current drawing into something else.

This functionality belongs to exporting, or printing in case of pdf. Same for .stl format used by 3D-printers. I really want to export a stl file, not convert the drawing to that. Any time the user wants to make an exported file he has to close the new stl file drawing and re-open the tcw.

Please, add a menü "file -export" and put some used file formats therein.

Have fun,
KG

I think the "File>Save Copy As" option will satisfy your requirements. If that's not available in your File menu, it can be added via Tools>Customize.

Henry H
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:43:12 PM by Henry Hubich »

* March 25, 2018, 10:53:35 AM
Wow, fast. :)

Yes it does. Thank you very much, Henry.

Btw. the menues could use some cleaning up. Some entries are found in 3 places... :D

Have fun,
KG

* March 25, 2018, 09:44:03 PM
When I save as a pdf file the file extension doesn't change to pdf in the same way that it does when you save to a drawing type file such as DWG.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* March 26, 2018, 03:06:32 PM
Hi!

When I save as a pdf file the file extension doesn't change to pdf in the same way that it does when you save to a drawing type file such as DWG.

Isn't that even more confusing? If the user save a file as another file type, he wants to convert the drawing completely. Except for PDF. At least in my opinion. If the file is to be given away in another format while keeping the original, it is exported or "save(d) as...".

However, there have been style guides in the past, but since I'm no Windows programmer anymore I don't know where to look. Microsoft clearly tells the programmer how to do such things. Or at least did it in the past. In general the expectation of the user should be fulfilled, and in this case the meaning of the menu names and functions is not really clear (again: to me).

Concluding I personally am happy with "save a copy as...". Should be in the menu by default. ;)

Have fun,
KG

* March 26, 2018, 09:29:40 PM
Maybe I am just not fussy. I like having it all in one place I have worked with programs that have an export and a save as.
Having an export means thhere are more places to look and I invariably look in the wrong place first.
I guess programmers cant please everyone.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* April 20, 2018, 03:34:51 AM
I'll try export - save as pdf.  But what I need to accomplish is a sheet size that people can plot.  Hopefully that'll work.

* April 20, 2018, 04:35:40 PM
Tried "save as PDF" and it didn't recognize the sheet size.  It just created a PDF view of where I was in the drawing.

* April 20, 2018, 10:14:08 PM
Tried "save as PDF" and it didn't recognize the sheet size.  It just created a PDF view of where I was in the drawing.

Did you click on the "Setup" button when saving to PDF and enter the width & height you want? Also, check "Zoom to extents mode".

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* April 22, 2018, 11:51:20 AM
Thanks John.  That looks simple enough.  I did purchase TurboPDF to use but it creates the blue screen of death each time I try to print from TC2017 Platinum Pro.  Not sure why -- kind of a bummer.