TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Can't think how to make how to make this...ripped steel hole
Read 165 times
* February 12, 2018, 01:36:54 PM
Hi. I am trying to design a walk-through arch made of plate steel.

In the arch I would like to add rips to the steel plate where the edges bend outwards to represent the destruction from a Blitz bombing. Like you might expect the Titanic's gash to look, or a bomb that bends steel plate.

I can't work it out, because I am not distorting a flat surface, but a curved surface. I have attached a screenshot of the bare arch, now I need some bomb destruction.

I would be grateful for any ideas using TC21 Plat. Thanks

:)

* February 12, 2018, 01:51:45 PM
How about laying out the Arch ‘flat’, then draw/extrude the gashes along edge and 3D subtract them. Re-bend the arch. If you want some of the shards bent, do that before making the "arch" bend. It seems like it might work, in theory.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* February 12, 2018, 01:56:44 PM
Can you split the surface rim using 3D Booleans with an array or rotated copy of thin sheets, then apply 'bend sheet' variously to each 'tongue' or 'petal' ? Perhaps in several places, to various degrees ??

I've never used the latter tool, but the former is part of my recipe for gapped voussoirs in Medieval-ish arches...

* February 12, 2018, 04:20:09 PM
Another approach...

Henry H

* February 12, 2018, 06:51:09 PM
That's counterintuitive.   If the ragged edges bend outwards, the explosion must've been within the arch? 

* February 13, 2018, 01:12:27 AM
Thank you all for your great replies. I am going give them a try. My goodness Henry, thanks for going to that effort. All the best...

* February 13, 2018, 09:02:31 AM
If your installation offers "Bend to path," you can tailor the elevation-view shape as you wish.

Henry H
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:07:23 AM by Henry Hubich »