TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Layer Management in TurboCAD Designer
Read 881 times
* February 09, 2018, 01:19:26 PM
Hello,

I am using TurboCAD Deluxe 2017 to create and manage templates for a team of people using TurboCAD Designer 2017.  One of the reasons I got Deluxe was to gain the ability to manage the layers in my templates.  When I alphabetize the layers in Deluxe and save the file, that organization does not translate when someone with Designer opens up that file. 

Can someone help me out?

I have about 10 people creating room diagrams off of my templates and I don't need them to have any more functionality than what is in the Designer version.  If I can't keep layers alphabetized in TurboCAD Designer, that is a huge disappointment. 

Please tell me I'm missing something easy.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bill Rios
Technical Director
Tennessee Performing Arts Center

February 09, 2018, 02:30:38 PM
Bill,

is it possible to post/attach a sample file, saved in Deluxe, which demonstrates this translational problem?

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* February 09, 2018, 02:36:47 PM
Sorry, but i dont think you miss something, make the layers like your people need them to show, or give your people a Deluxe like you have is the solution i'm afraid.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* February 09, 2018, 05:28:57 PM
Hello,

I am using TurboCAD Deluxe 2017 to create and manage templates for a team of people using TurboCAD Designer 2017.  One of the reasons I got Deluxe was to gain the ability to manage the layers in my templates.  When I alphabetize the layers in Deluxe and save the file, that organization does not translate when someone with Designer opens up that file. 

Can someone help me out?

I have about 10 people creating room diagrams off of my templates and I don't need them to have any more functionality than what is in the Designer version.  If I can't keep layers alphabetized in TurboCAD Designer, that is a huge disappointment. 

Please tell me I'm missing something easy.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bill Rios
Technical Director
Tennessee Performing Arts Center

Designer does support "Layer Sets"
if that helps.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* February 09, 2018, 11:29:05 PM
Bill. 

To be honest the first approach should be to contact IMSI support IMSI support page and complain about the 'programming error' in designer, which prevents you from using layer sorting.  The fact that one is given the option in designer to using sorting, suggests to me it should work, but is faulty.

As a workaround, it can be done via deluxe, but is a bit messy and not worth the effort if it is needed on a regular basis.  Below is one way to achieve sorting (not saying its the only way).

1).  Create a blank file from your normal template (metric or imperial), and set line styles and whatever else you normally set, BUT only have one layer (Layer 0), NO blocks, only standard one paper space, basically this is a blank canvas to use as a base for all files.   Save as 'Base_file.tcw' (or whatever name).

2).  Either - use 'Save as' to save as your project name, and add everything else, all layers, paper spaces, blocks  etc.
OR - open an existing file with everything already in.

3).  In Design Director,  Sort the layers,  click the first layer, then shift click  the last layer to select them all, whilst still selected CTRL + click layer '0' to deselect just that layer,  right click and choose Save to file, save the layers file to desired location. Save and Close the file.

4). Open the base_file saved earlier and use Save-As to save a new name like 'Project_name_2' (this simply preserves the base file for future use). in design director- layers, right click and choose Load from file. find the previously save layers,  if one used the default name it will be something like LayersTemplate-(a number).lrs,  and load the layers, they will (should) appear in the sorted form.

5).  Go to File menu - Extract from, in the dialog, find your project file, and in the right hand window tick 'contents; then open.  Save the file. 

Opening it in designer should retain the sorted order.   But like I said its a messy way to do it, and its no good if you are constantly adding / subtracting layers and resorting.

This next bit is just a guess based on my tiny bit of programming knowledge.  I'm  guessing what is basically happening is, TC normally retains internally, the order one originally creates the layers, the sort is just a flag which, on opening the file tells TC to sort the layer list,  because the sorting is faulty in designer, TC is not reading the flag, so is not sorting the layers when opened in designer,  the above procedure for loading the layers into a file, simply creates the layers internally in the correct order to start with.

Hopefully someone else will have a simpler solution.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:06:43 AM by Andy H »

* February 10, 2018, 12:02:36 AM
Bill,

is it possible to post/attach a sample file, saved in Deluxe, which demonstrates this translational problem?

Regards Tim

Tim.  The attached file was saved in deluxe, and when opened in deluxe it opens with the layers automatically sorted alphabetically.

Opening in designer, the layers are show as they were created, i.e. Not sorted.  They were deliberately created in an 'odd' order for this test  :)

February 10, 2018, 02:26:22 AM
Bill,

Regards Tim

Tim.  The attached file was saved in deluxe, and when opened in deluxe it opens with the layers automatically sorted alphabetically.

Opening in designer, the layers are show as they were created, i.e. Not sorted.  They were deliberately created in an 'odd' order for this test  :)

Andy,

yes, confirmed.
Not very satisfactory.   :(
The developers should preferably, either fix the sorting issue ( no big programming deal, in my opinion), or not make it available.

I tried here:

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,22375.0.html

to offer a solution, via a template, but, realistically, it shouldn't be needed.
Perhaps, this issue could be highlighted to the programmers?

Regards Tim

Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017 + Lightworks (64-bit versions).

* February 10, 2018, 03:07:18 AM
Perhaps, this issue could be highlighted to the programmers?

Totally agree Tim.

Hopefully someone will mention it, either Bill, via support.  Or maybe Torfinn or Dean will read this and mention it on the beta forum.

* February 10, 2018, 05:57:52 AM
Done

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

February 10, 2018, 07:16:59 AM
    Takk Torfinn.

Hilsen Tim

* February 10, 2018, 09:18:47 AM
Ingen årsak Tim :)

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* February 11, 2018, 06:09:53 AM
Thank you all for helping with this.  Sorry I've been slow to respond. I don't get emails when I get replies to this board for some reason.

Andy and Tim, thanks for looking into this.  Andy, thanks for posting the file and the solution you posted.  I haven't had a chance to attempt it and honestly hope I don't have to.

Done

Torfinn

What does this mean?  Do I need to download an update for all my designer copies?  If so that's amazing!

Thanks all,
Bill

February 11, 2018, 06:28:21 AM
Hi Bill,

essentially, it means that the matter has been reported to the developers.
    Hopefully, they will take note and provide a remedy, in the not too distant future.
    So, for the time being, the problem remains, until such time as it is fixed/improved.
    When might this happen? Your guess, is as good as anyone's!  :)

Regards Tim

* February 11, 2018, 01:18:05 PM
In the short term, if you create or amend your layer order in Designer, is that order persistent? 

* February 11, 2018, 01:52:53 PM
Deluxe sorting them, but they will show up in Designer exactly as they was made in Deluxe, at least in v 2017.
Anyway it's sort of stupid to have a button for sorting layers in Designer that do nothing.

Torfinn
I know the pic show Expert and Designer but it is the same in DL
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:00:20 PM by Torfinn »

RedSDK enabled

* February 12, 2018, 08:43:36 AM
Okay,

good to know the problem has been submitted and that I'm not the only one having the issue.

Much appreciated and looking forward to hearing about a fix if the hopefully not too distant future.

PS>  is there way to get emails alerts when some one posts a reply to my thread?

Thanks,
Bill

February 12, 2018, 09:04:19 AM
Okay,

good to know the problem has been submitted and that I'm not the only one having the issue.

Much appreciated and looking forward to hearing about a fix if the hopefully not too distant future.

PS>  is there way to get emails alerts when some one posts a reply to my thread?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

just tick the box, Notify me of replies, which you will see, if you open Attachments and other options, down below.

Regards Tim

* February 16, 2018, 02:07:35 PM
Fantastic!  Thank you.

* April 23, 2018, 01:38:46 PM
Hi Bill,

essentially, it means that the matter has been reported to the developers.
    Hopefully, they will take note and provide a remedy, in the not too distant future.
    So, for the time being, the problem remains, until such time as it is fixed/improved.
    When might this happen? Your guess, is as good as anyone's!  :)

Regards Tim

Bumping this thread up since it's been awhile.

Is there a way to check to see if the developers have fixed this issue yet?

Thanks,
BR

* April 23, 2018, 02:06:17 PM
Sorry, but nope
Have to wait and see if you get an Update of your version that solve the problem

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled