TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

New Old topic - holes in Turbocad Deluxe 2017
Read 723 times
* January 29, 2018, 09:14:58 AM
I am new to Turbocad but enjoying it very much.  I can't seem to accomplish a simple task.  I would like to create a couple of holes in a 3d object.  I am using Turbocad Deluxe 2017 and it apparently doesn't have the compound extrude tool.  What's the process to create holes in a 3d object?  Strangely not much tutorial video help out there for this one for Deluxe 2017.

thanks

tbudw

* January 29, 2018, 09:23:23 AM
If it is just a standard holes like, say, some holes in a metal plate, on can create a cylinder which is the diameter of the hole, make copy as many times as needed, position it so that it protrudes through both edges of the plate, and Boolean subtract.

For a slot type hole, one could draw a 2D profile of the shape, then use the extrude tool, make the profile into 3D, the position and Boolean subtract,   use the polyline tool to get arcs and lines as one object, and ensure it is a closed profile.

For holes with a countersink, like for a woodscrew, one could draw a half profile in 2D, then use the revolve tool, to create a 3D object, then again position and subtract.

Is any of the above what you are after.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:28:11 AM by Andy H »

* January 29, 2018, 09:49:37 AM
In Deluxe, if you have many holes to create from a 2D profile, you can enter a "Height" value, then "Lock" it (Ctrl+L). Now you can No Snap each profile to activate the extrusion process, then No Snap again to finish making the extrusion. Once you have all the ‘holes’ extruded, activate the 3D Add tool. Select the first extrusion, then click-n-drag a selection-type window around the other extrusions that you want to be as one. Choose "Finish Selection" to combine all the extrusions as one object. It's usually best to select from Left-to-Right, so only the extrusions that are completely within the selection window are selected. If any extrusions are missed, hold the "Shift" key and click on them to add to the selection and "Finish". Now you can 3D Subtract that added part from the main part.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* January 30, 2018, 01:49:26 PM
Thanks.

Got me headed in the right direction.  Now if I could just smooth out the 3D circles and spheres.  The curved and round objects look good until 3D render.  Then they look like a series of facets.  should I start a new topic?

Dell Pc with 16G ram, 2.7 processor.  Standard Dell graphics card.

Thanks

tbudw

* January 30, 2018, 03:00:36 PM
Thanks.

Got me headed in the right direction.  Now if I could just smooth out the 3D circles and spheres.  The curved and round objects look good until 3D render.  Then they look like a series of facets.  should I start a new topic?

Dell Pc with 16G ram, 2.7 processor.  Standard Dell graphics card.

Thanks

You have two options for a cylindrical object. One is to select the object (before any Add or Subtract operations), open its Properties page to the TC Surface Options page, and increase the "Number of approximation lines." (Choosing "Smooth" will make the cylindrical face of a hole look smooth, but its edge will still be polygonal instead of circular.)

The other option is to make the cylinder not by extruding a circle, but by opening its Properties page and assigning a suitable 3D Thickness. This gives much better results.

Henry H

* January 30, 2018, 06:16:45 PM
Henry,

That did the trick....using to properties function smoothed everything out much better.  thanks

tbudw

* February 19, 2018, 09:47:33 AM
IMHO, you must watch out using the Deluxe 3D Booleans as, IIRC, they still have the legacy 'surface' bug which may randomly lock-up further complex editing of object and/or 'cookie cutter'. If you can, create latter afresh. If not, store after the fewest possible 3D Boolean manipulations.

Yes, stamping a hole with three or more cookie cutters is tedious but better than combining them then having both it and your 'work in progress' lock-up against further 3D editing ...

Pro's ACIS 'solid' engine does not have this problem.