TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Move Everything to TC default x-y plane
Read 7166 times
* January 29, 2010, 03:28:46 PM
I have messed up. I apparently have drawn various object on a plane other than the default x-y plane. I started noticing this when I would select an object and it would tell me that I have to move to 2D selector mode.

This is making me crazy .. How do I move everything to the  x-y plane? In some programs this is called flatten where you make all the Z dimensions zero.

So confused.

V 11.2 Professional Win xP

* January 29, 2010, 04:24:48 PM
Select All
Workspace / Workplane / By World
Format / Place on Workplane

I find it helpful to not move 2D and 3D objects together, if possible. Working with the Selector set to "2D/3D depending..." (Selector Properties - General page) can also help cut down on workplane problems.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* January 29, 2010, 04:27:26 PM
I have messed up. I apparently have drawn various object on a plane other than the default x-y plane. I started noticing this when I would select an object and it would tell me that I have to move to 2D selector mode.

This is making me crazy .. How do I move everything to the  x-y plane? In some programs this is called flatten where you make all the Z dimensions zero.

So confused.

If they are all 2D objects, and if they lie on parallel planes, then press Ctrl+A to select everything and set Size Z to zero.

Henry H

* January 29, 2010, 05:48:44 PM
OK I think that workes on my test copy. I scaled the Z to zero

* January 29, 2010, 07:17:46 PM
I don't think Henry means "I scaled the Z to zero " rather than Position  Z  zero if  you go in Position in the inspector bar under X,Y,Z and zero all them in each it will put The UCS on center of your work.If you rescale your object it will change the size of it

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:33:43 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

January 29, 2010, 08:27:04 PM
I was taken aback by what he wrote when I first read it, but it is correct.  If you have a bunch of 2D objects that are parallel to each other along the Z axis, then you can select them all and scale Z by 0 to place them all on the same plane (which may not be the Workplane).

Alternatively, you could individually select each object and use the Format / Place on Workplane command.  That would take longer and the only difference is that the first result may not be on the current Workplane (but that is easy enough to change by keeping all the selected objects selected and performing the Format / Place on Workplane command).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* January 29, 2010, 08:50:58 PM
I don't think Henry means "I scaled the Z to zero " rather than Position  Z  zero if  you go in Position in the inspector bar under X,Y,Z and zero all them in each it will put The UCS on center of your work.If you rescale your object it will change the size of it

Actually I did mean to change the size. If the objects are all 2D and they are all on parallel planes (I should have specified that these planes be parallel to the XY plane!), making Size Z = 0 will shrink them onto a single plane.

Henry H

* January 30, 2010, 09:20:33 AM
Humm -- Looks like I have some 2D objects on different planes. I can select an individual object and set the Z to zero and it will "take", BUT I find that if I select all my objects in the drawing and then set the Z to Zero in the inspector bar then I get that turbocad warning "selecting a 2d object in 3d mode will change its workplane" I go ahead and click OK and the Z on the inspector bar changes to zero. When I go back and select an individual object though it still says it has a Z other than Zero.

The only way I could get them all to be on the x-y plane is to select all then set Z to 0 in the inspector bar, then scale Z to ) on the inspector bar. Now when I select that object that used to have a z dimension it will have it now be Zero.

I think maybe I am not understanding workplanes. (I only draw in xy plane (except when I somehow mess up))
 I an beginning to understand that t workplane is any slice thru the 3d space

* January 30, 2010, 02:15:12 PM
I would with go John,Henry,Jeff, recommendations after taking there suggestions to task it is the better process.I was more less jumping the gun ahead and thinking of 3d process.I always work from common zero point and position and the UCS is accordingly to the work plane. This is relevant when using the Cam end of it but of course your not doing that.For instance the UCS can be set to any side of  object or in the center of the object.But I won't go into extensive detail about.Sorry about any misunderstanding on my end.

John,Henry,Jeff thanks for the clarification on matters.

W.D.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* January 30, 2010, 03:51:46 PM
Thanks for all the help