TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Can you reduce/delete smesh nodes?
Read 452 times
January 20, 2018, 07:57:14 PM
I've got a smesh I made from a hemisphere.  I need to reduce the number of faces because there are just too many to work with in this case, particularly at the center where several edges converge to the center.  So I selected several faces and merged them together.  I did this to create a smaller quantity of faces.  Problem is that, between two faces, I now have a series of nodes/edges between two faces when, theoretically, there should only be one edge.  I only need to move the nodes at the intersections of faces - I don't want to move several nodes along the edge of two faces as that would add an incredible amount of work.

I would think that when you merge faces, you'd be merging nodes as well.

TurboCAD Pro Platinum V21.2 Build 59.0, 64-bit
i5-661, 16GB, GeForce GTX-650 2GB
Windows Home Premium 7
CAD operator since 1985
TurboCAD user since v8

* January 20, 2018, 08:11:09 PM
Try node editing using the selector mode.  It's effectively what some other apps call "soft selection", and translates the nodes within the selection set proportionately to the bounding box of the set, ie within the boundary described by the outermost nodes, instead of moving all of the selected nodes an absolute increment.  It'll lessen the workload, but not  eliminate it.  You're not deleting nodes within merged faces because in most cases of true freeform subdivision modelling from a smesh primitive rather than changing object type, you're merging faces which are subsets of loops, you're not merging full loops.  TC doesn't have what's called "decimation" in some subD apps, which is the sort-of "un-subdivide" that I think you're looking for. 

If all else fails, make a copy and try out TC's surface simplification tool on it.  It might help. 

January 20, 2018, 08:41:59 PM
try out TC's surface simplification tool
Surface simplification tool?  I can't find anything at all on that.

So there is no "decimate" function.  Interesting.  You can delete nodes in a polyline but not in a smesh.  I find it amazing that absolutely every project I take up, whether one of my own or for a paying customer, I run into the strangest things, such as this.  It's maddening.

TurboCAD Pro Platinum V21.2 Build 59.0, 64-bit
i5-661, 16GB, GeForce GTX-650 2GB
Windows Home Premium 7
CAD operator since 1985
TurboCAD user since v8

* January 20, 2018, 11:10:44 PM
Modify|Modify 3D objects|TC Surface Simplification.  Smesh is an addition to a CAD program, it's doesn't make TC a subD modeller IMO.   If the face that you're merging is in fact flat, you might find that turning your object into a solid and then back into a smesh object does remove the nodes. 

* January 21, 2018, 06:06:26 AM
Sorry, but I have to ask.  Do you know that you can control how many nodes are produced before you start Smesh modelling. I'm guessing you do, but thought I'd ask just in case.

January 21, 2018, 08:43:58 AM
Hi Jamac, pleas, try this way with SMesh tools. It may help you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94036jp2pkafg86/Reduce%20nodes.gif?dl=0
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:01:02 AM by Majo »

WorkPC->HP Z620 2x E5-2680v2 2,8GHz, 64GB RAM,Quadro K4000, 400GB SSD+2TB HDD, Win10 Pro 64bit
HomePC->i7-3770 CPU 3,40GHz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 760, 120+60GB SSD, Win7 HP 64bit

TC Pro Plat x64
www.invent-dizajn.sk, www.facebook.com/marian.jurcak