TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Convert from TCW to AutoCAD to Solidworks
Read 723 times
* January 19, 2018, 02:49:02 PM
Just got a request to convert some drawings on 
http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,20538.0.html
 this design and one other to autocad drawings as a sample only.

Since I have little control over the output are there any net based conversion site that users here can recommend for tcw to autocad?

Also need to convert the same to solidworks, can anyone recommend for tcw to solidworks?

Is there a likelyhood that my designs could be hacked copied stolen etc??

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is best

January 19, 2018, 05:26:18 PM
A
Just got a request to convert some drawings on 
http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,20538.0.html
 this design and one other to autocad drawings as a sample only.

Since I have little control over the output are there any net based conversion site that users here can recommend for tcw to autocad?

Also need to convert the same to solidworks, can anyone recommend for tcw to solidworks?

Is there a likelyhood that my designs could be hacked copied stolen etc??

Are you talking models & drawings from TC to SolidWorks or just 3D model? If 3D model, STEP is good.

* January 19, 2018, 06:12:16 PM
SolidWorks own eDrawings app handles .dwg, naturally Autodesk apps do too.  Your designs are as safe as your non-disclosure agreements and IP protection regime keeps them, your drawings and models have no effective security value.   An Australian Innovation Patent lodgement costs from around AUD 800, it's good for  ten years without searches, it can be converted into full patent application within three years, but it's good for initial protection.  I think that they're abused to some extent, because they're not supposed to absolve you from doing at least a cursory search, you should try and ascertain that you're not reproducing prior art or infringing someone else's IP.  Some applicants imagine that nobody else challenging their innovation patent is functionally equivalent to having a full patent granted.   Designs can be registered, sort of a copyright for devices, but that covers their physical layout or aesthetic values, not their function, which may be performed by other layouts.     

* January 19, 2018, 08:33:27 PM
Don. Models and drawings of both 2D & 3D with with all dimensions ( complete design ) from TCW2017 & 2016 to either autocads DWG/DXF format and the same for Solidworks file formats.

Murray. Already got a provisional patent on all designs and while you may say that there should be no problem the concern from my end is that if I choose to convert by net based conversion app/software or whatever then has that conversion site got a copy of my designs that for all intents and purposes unknown anywhere else worldwide. Im just trying to protect my work!

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* January 20, 2018, 02:13:50 AM
Daz, there's no practical way to protect your designs in every IP jurisdiction in the world unless your pockets are bottomless.  Ever seen the movies "A Flash of Genius"?  It tells the story of the guy who invented intermittent windscreen wiper mechanisms for cars.  He shopped his already-patented invention around and Ford, Chrysler and others just went ahead and used it without any consideration to him.  It took him years and lots of court action to recoup anything from those companies, and they ended up paying out to him, but with agreements without any admission of wrongdoing or underhandedness, so there was no punitive finding against them, only a court-assessed backwards "royalty", the inventor had no real bargaining power at any point.  Nothing much has changed, except that nowadays, more and more, some law firms buy up patents speculatively and prosecute anyone that they think they can extract money from.  Sometimes they'll take you on for some percentage of your action, in return you put their name on your patent.  Some people, like the wiper guy, and the guy who invented the JetSki, have managed to get some satisfaction afterwards, but they're the exception.  Your considerations about file formats have no force, and you can only ensure that your work is 100% secure by not showing it to anyone.  IP law is about lawyers, not creatives.     

January 20, 2018, 04:53:47 AM
Don. Models and drawings of both 2D & 3D with with all dimensions ( complete design ) from TCW2017 & 2016 to either autocads DWG/DXF format and the same for Solidworks file formats.

There is no options in TurboCAD to export in a SolidWorks format that will tie both model and drawings together. You could export model and drawing in DXF fromat from TurboCAD but you can only open the 3D or the Drawings in SolidWorks, not both at the same time. But for all intents and purposes the drawings are basically useless in SolidWorks as they are just 2D drawings that are not connected to a model at all. TC and SW are just too different of systems to work with each other per se. If I ever need TC models and Drawings in SW I import the model and create new drawing in SW. If I plan on doind lots of additional editing with the model, I will often just recreate the model from scratch and work solely in SW.

I should mention that there are tools in SW to convert imported 3D models, or recognize features, so that they are more like actual SW models but that is not always practical and does not always give you the results you would suspect.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:56:08 AM by Don Cheke »

* January 20, 2018, 05:55:09 AM
Murray, my fault I probably did not explain myself clearly. What I should have said if I used a third part  ( net based conversion ) application and loaded my drawings for conversion what chance that those files would/could end up stored somewhere open for others to see all aspects of design and dimensions unbeknown to me if I had ignored or not looked into the fine print or terms of use!

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best