TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Tutorial 1
Read 1369 times
* January 15, 2018, 09:44:01 AM
I am at the step of placing center marks on two circles and am following the animation video.It says to right click on the point tool and set the layer. In the animation when they right click on the point tool they show about 5 or 6 possible layers to choose from and they select the CL layer (whatever CL means), but when I right click, I see the general properties window, normal points etc. but the drop-down window for choosing a layer, shows no layers so I can't pick the CL layer.
Any ideas?

* January 15, 2018, 10:54:46 AM
Maybe you could try to make the CL layer yourself first or what you want to call it is up to you

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* January 15, 2018, 11:16:45 AM
Couldn't find this Tutorial 1 video, but agree with Torfinn that you will need to create this "CL" layer.

Go to "Options / Drawing Setup—›Layers" page and create a "New" layer and rename it "CL".
or
Go to "Options / Layers". A "Layers" palette will open and you can create create a layer named "CL".

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* January 15, 2018, 12:42:00 PM
CL is an abbreviation for Center Line(s)
As other have stated, you need to have the layers created first, then you choose  the layer from the properties sheet.
Now, when you rt click on a tool and set the properties those setting will be used every time that tool is used in the drawing.  You'll want to put the center line on a separate layer so you can set line weight by layer
I used the Turbocad 2d Training Manual and the Turbocad 3d Training manual and they had a template to use for the exercises. The template had all the layers set, and the properties set for most of the tools.

* January 16, 2018, 11:55:48 AM
Thank you. I think I understand layers but there was no mention in the tutorial that I had to create the layer first. There also was no mention as to why layers were necessary in the first place as we were just changing the pen weight. I guess an explanation for why layers are necessary will be in a future lesson.

* January 16, 2018, 01:12:41 PM
re: …I guess an explanation for why layers are necessary will be in a future lesson.

See Overview of Layers in the AutoCAD Help.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* January 16, 2018, 03:28:09 PM
One of the problems with so many of the tutorials is they do not explain "best practices". Layers are a way to organized your drawings.  I put all my profiles on one layer. When I extrude that profile the extrusion goes on a separate layer.  I turn on and off layers to make selecting items easier. I can set line weights by layers. I also set each layer a unique color.  When I plot, or create views, I can choose which layer I want. I googled best practices and drawing organization, etc.  none on TurboCAD specifically/ A found a, lot on Autocad and then extrapolated.  This is one of the reasons I'm moving away from TurboCAD.

Randino

* January 17, 2018, 12:22:53 PM
Not sure if this latest hurdle is a layer problem but I can't get the dimension tool to select the circle in tutorial #1 and spit out a diameter. Actually none of the circles will let me create a dimension. I have been successful with all the orthogonal dimensions but not the diameter. If I draw a circle from scratch, the dimension tool works fine.
I have created an annotations layer to create dimensions on. The circle is on a 0 layer, but why should that matter? Any  help is appreciated, again...

* January 17, 2018, 02:25:55 PM
please post the drawing.  It may be an issue with Work Plan.  As a stab in the dark, try setting work plane by active view
R

* January 17, 2018, 02:48:27 PM
What "Version / Edition" are you using? I had the same Workplane thought as Randino, but had no problems placing a Radius/Diameter dimension on a circle that wasn't on the current workplane. TurboCAD temporarily changed to the circle's workplane and returned to the previous workplane once the Diameter dimension was placed. It would be best if you attached the drawing that is giving you trouble.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* January 17, 2018, 03:28:51 PM
Maybe the circle from Tutorial that dont want to put out a radius have a small thickness, see the Properties/ 3D of it.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* January 18, 2018, 11:35:26 AM
Not sure what a work plan is. I've attached the file.By the way there was also a Tutorial 1 Drawing.tcw.dwl file created. What is that?
Thanks for your help

* January 18, 2018, 12:22:27 PM
All your "circles" are "polylines". At some point they must have been Exploded. This is why the Radius/Diameter dimension tools don't recognize them. You could use the Triple Point Circle tool to draw over the polylines, then delete the polylines. Now they can be dimensioned.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* January 19, 2018, 09:24:02 AM
Aw Nut!  I'm using TC Pro Plat 2016 and can't open your drawing.

The workplane is the plane on which the object you are drawing rests.  For 2d drawings it usually of not concern unless you inadvertently draw your objects on different plans.  Looking down form the top it may appear all objects are on the same plane, however if you look from a different perspective you can tell if they are on separate planes. You'll use workplanes more in 3d.

Am interested in the tutorial you are using. What is the name and where did you find it? What types of drawing you doing, mechanical, architectural, etc.

// Edited by Moderator to remove a huge blank space under post. //
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:59:29 AM by Andy H »

* January 19, 2018, 01:18:44 PM
Thank you John. Didn't know you could explode a circle into polylines.
Randino: It's called TurboCAD 2D3D Basic Training Guide 2017. Came with TurboCAD Pro Patinum 2017.
I am technically a wood worker but our company has been doing drawings in TurboCAD since version 10 and I therefore have to learn it. I think there are better CAD programs out there for wood workers but so far this meets our needs. I learned and own TurboCAD Pro V10 for the Mac but I eventually would like to do some more high end photo realistic renderings and the Mac version just doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the Windows version does, hence the switch.

* January 19, 2018, 02:57:06 PM
Here is a copy of the cover of the 3d Training Manual I used.  It has a sibling name 2d training manual which has turned up missing. When it is installed it copies two templates files Student_2d.TCT and Student_3D.tct If you use these templates, it will set the layers  names and colors. It will also configure the properties of  some of the tools.  Really good stuff!!!

I too am a wood worker, wood butcher-er, saw dust maker.  I used Turbocad to develop 3d models and then produced shop drawings. Currently I'm exploring Autodesk's Fusion 360. I'm really liking it. It is FREEE for hobbists and start-ups with less than $100,000 in annual sales. Google fusion 360 free

Good luck

Randino

* January 19, 2018, 04:58:02 PM
Thank you John. Didn't know you could explode a circle into polylines.

I'm wondering if this is where it went wrong (exploded).

The training says "Use the Explode tool to reduce the newly inserted Center Line Marks to separate objects",  If you accidentally selected the circles as well as the centre marks, hitting explode would have turned the circles into polylines.

the above is from the 2d3d basic training (browser based but there is a pdf available), (cover image may vary)

* January 29, 2018, 10:16:23 AM
Randino,
Thanks for the tip on Fusion. I assume that you can import and read DFG or DWG files from TurboCAD?
Andy- that's exactly what I inadvertently did but now how do I "unexplode" the circle. I created a new circle that exactly overlapped the exploded circle which I could then dimension, but is there a way to convert the circle back to a regular circle rather than a polyline? In the Mac version all I would do is group it but I don't see a feature like that here.

* January 29, 2018, 11:33:00 AM
Another issue. At the end of tutorial one, drawing layouts, I am supposed to create a view, which I did by drawing a rectangle around my sketch, and give it a name called sketch. Now, per the tutorial, I am supposed to insert this newly created view into the paper layout, in this case a landscape. Trouble is my graphics editor only shows (1) Paper, there is no (2) A3 Portrait  (3) A3 Landscape (4) ISO A1 Layout like it shows in the tutorial. So now where do I get the A3 Lanscape paper layout so that I can insert the sketch view into?? Supposedly, a Student_2D template has been created on this Landscape paper layout that will be modified, but where is it??
Thanks

* January 29, 2018, 12:03:49 PM
Yes, with Fusion 360 you and read and import DWG files and a lot more. Check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7riGolu7BpA (Fusion 360 Laptop Stand)

As for the other issues.......
Go to file explore and search for Student_2D.tct

Sounds like a lot of the difficulties you are experiencing is attributable to not using the proper template. Templates should be store, well IDK.  Go to Options Program Setup. One the left choose File Locations. It will show you where the templates are hiding. If you make any changes here, Click OK, and close the Program Setup dialog so that the changes will be reflected in the other options.   Also, choose General on the left. In the section entitled New Document,  New Document from: choose Template, Default template for new files Student_2d. Click the box Prompt for template name.

I created a folder in My Documents called TurboCad and made folders for everything. I did this so that everything gets backed up when I  backup My Documents.

Randino

* January 29, 2018, 12:29:44 PM
Andy- that's exactly what I inadvertently did but now how do I "unexplode" the circle. I created a new circle that exactly overlapped the exploded circle which I could then dimension, but is there a way to convert the circle back to a regular circle rather than a polyline? In the Mac version all I would do is group it but I don't see a feature like that here.

With circles, its just as quick to draw a new circle and delete the old polyline, there is a tool in the modify menu which is 'Convert to Arc Polyline' but when used on an exploded circle creates two arcs, not a circle. (and one has to get the settings correct), this tool can be useful if one accidentally explodes something more fiddly to re-draw or converting spline curves to arcs.

Supposedly, a Student_2D template has been created on this Landscape paper layout that will be modified, but where is it??
Thanks

The student template is supplied with TC, when you create a new file its available from the template button (try this - go to file menu - New,  in the dialog select 'new from template' you will notice the Student 2D.

hmm. now you have already done the drawing, you have two options to try,  first option, with your existing drawing open, click CTRL+A (or edit menu - select all), then  Edit menu - copy. . create a new student template from as above (file - new - new from template),  when it opens, Edit menu paste,  the drawback to this is one may lose any viewports that have been created, you would need to remake them.

Alternatively,  close your drawing,  open the student template (as shown above),  go to file menu - 'Extract From',  Ignore the warning (click yes), then  in the dialog find your file, and then on the right hand side tick 'Content'.  click open.  Your drawing, layers and any viewports will be imported into the student template.

* January 29, 2018, 06:42:22 PM
You can also go into paperspace and import a sheet from a template or file

* January 31, 2018, 11:26:57 AM
Thank you Andy and Randino
Locating templates is clear to me now.
Good info.
I was able to take a peek at the files in backup and it appears that TurboCAD deletes the older file when it creates a new one? Not the case with TurboCAD Mac which stores them all.

* January 31, 2018, 12:08:52 PM
Spoke too soon.
I was unable to extract my drawing file. After closing out of my drawing file, I went to "file" then "new" then "new from template" and picked "Student_2D". I see nothing on the graphics editor. However if I choose "A3 Landscape" in the graphics editor, I see the Student_2D template but it looks a lot different than it should. I have attached snapshots of the difference. Why all the extraneous lines? I have also attached a snapshot of what happens when I then do an extract of my drawing. It extracts, but I can't manipulate it. Help

* January 31, 2018, 12:42:00 PM
When you create a drawing from a template you probably won't see anything.  The template is a vechicle for keeping the same drawing settings between drawing.  You see, you have drawing setting and program settings.  The program setting are settings that are not drawing specifics. The drawing setting are specific to the drawing, like units.  If you want to use the same settings for all of you drawings, like putting all profiles on a particular layer, then create a drawing, make the settings, and save the drawing as a template. When you create a new drawing from a template, all of the drawing settings will be copied into you new drawings.

You've go two tabs at the bottom of the screen. One is model space and the other is paper space.  The model space is where you draw. Think of it as, well space. It is infinitely large. Paper space is a sheet of paper, you decide what size paper.  "Model" the object in Model space full sized. Create a view-port and then put that view port in paper space.  The view port comes with glasses the either enlarge or reduce the object so that it can fit on you paper. 

You should be able to modify the title block and such in paper space.  Also, dimensions go in Paper Space.

* January 31, 2018, 12:50:22 PM
re: …Why all the extraneous lines?…

The dashed lines are "Margin" lines. Your "Printer Paper" in Page Setup is most likely "Letter 8½×11 in" and your "Drawing Sheet Size" is larger (A3). It'll take 4 Letter sheets to print a A3 sized drawing.

You could go to "View / Display / UI / Margins" to turn the margin lines off or on.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* February 05, 2018, 12:14:19 PM
Thanks John and Randino
Can either of you tell me how to access the various paper layouts, i.e. landscape, portrait etc? so that they appear as options in the graphics editor? All that shows there now are Model and Paper.
Thanks

* February 05, 2018, 01:50:11 PM
Right click on one of the Paper tabs. All of the Paper Tabs are collectively referred to as Paper Space. Each tab represents a separate piece of paper.

Also take a look a File Page Setup and File Page Setup Wizard

Randino