TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Altering walls with 3D subtract
Read 710 times
January 13, 2018, 01:00:09 PM
Walls appear to be "immune" from a 3D subtract operation.  I currently have walls inside a dome shell, and want to subtract the dome shell from the walls, so they come up to, but not into, the dome.  I think I used to be able to do this back in V15, but it will not work now.  Any hints on how I can make walls into 3D objects that 3D subtract will work with?  Thanks, in advance, to the collective genius of the forum.  Steve

Steven D. Thompson

* January 13, 2018, 01:51:45 PM
Explode the Walls one time, thereby converting them to TC Surface objects. The dome must also be a TC Surface. (If you're working in a Pro version, you can make the conversion -- if necessary -- via the "3D" entry in the Design Director.)

Henry H

* January 13, 2018, 02:50:12 PM
I think you're looking for "Add Top Wall Modifier" in the Platinum edition.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* January 13, 2018, 03:45:16 PM
Something like this?

I shortened the walls (2 Arc Walls) to the outside edge of the hemisphere, then Sliced the hemisphere. Added a doorway. The walls are still "walls".

Skipped the Wall Modifier altogether.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

January 14, 2018, 01:56:11 PM
Henry, thanks.  I think that is what I must have done originally, but it has been a while.  John, the "Top Wall Modifier" won't work with a Surface, and it appears you cut the dome to fit, rather than the walls, on your example.  Design-wise, you're on the same track I am, though.  Steve

Steven D. Thompson

* January 14, 2018, 02:11:30 PM
Henry, thanks.  I think that is what I must have done originally, but it has been a while.  John, the "Top Wall Modifier" won't work with a Surface, and it appears you cut the dome to fit, rather than the walls, on your example.  Design-wise, you're on the same track I am, though.  Steve

Not Subtract, Slice seems more like what you're after.   [Edit: I'm not sure... Can you post a drawing file or a screen-capture of where you are now... what the walls and dome look like in relation to one another before the Subtract/Slice operation]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:03:08 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)