TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Altering walls with 3D subtract
Read 623 times
January 13, 2018, 01:00:09 PM
Walls appear to be "immune" from a 3D subtract operation.  I currently have walls inside a dome shell, and want to subtract the dome shell from the walls, so they come up to, but not into, the dome.  I think I used to be able to do this back in V15, but it will not work now.  Any hints on how I can make walls into 3D objects that 3D subtract will work with?  Thanks, in advance, to the collective genius of the forum.  Steve

Steven D. Thompson

* January 13, 2018, 01:51:45 PM
Explode the Walls one time, thereby converting them to TC Surface objects. The dome must also be a TC Surface. (If you're working in a Pro version, you can make the conversion -- if necessary -- via the "3D" entry in the Design Director.)

Henry H

* January 13, 2018, 02:50:12 PM
I think you're looking for "Add Top Wall Modifier" in the Platinum edition.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* January 13, 2018, 03:45:16 PM
Something like this?

I shortened the walls (2 Arc Walls) to the outside edge of the hemisphere, then Sliced the hemisphere. Added a doorway. The walls are still "walls".

Skipped the Wall Modifier altogether.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

January 14, 2018, 01:56:11 PM
Henry, thanks.  I think that is what I must have done originally, but it has been a while.  John, the "Top Wall Modifier" won't work with a Surface, and it appears you cut the dome to fit, rather than the walls, on your example.  Design-wise, you're on the same track I am, though.  Steve

Steven D. Thompson

* January 14, 2018, 02:11:30 PM
Henry, thanks.  I think that is what I must have done originally, but it has been a while.  John, the "Top Wall Modifier" won't work with a Surface, and it appears you cut the dome to fit, rather than the walls, on your example.  Design-wise, you're on the same track I am, though.  Steve

Not Subtract, Slice seems more like what you're after.   [Edit: I'm not sure... Can you post a drawing file or a screen-capture of where you are now... what the walls and dome look like in relation to one another before the Subtract/Slice operation]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:03:08 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)