TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

How to stretch polylines at control points?
Read 160 times
January 09, 2018, 10:10:09 PM
I have a client who needs me to stretch some text.  He needs stensils that will be cut on a laser from flat hardboard.  The final is 2D but the text needs to look curved, like its wrapping around the page in an open book, toward the spline of the book, looking 3D without being 3D.

I assume the first step is converting the text to polylines, which I have no problem with.  I keep imagining that there might be a tool in TurboCAD that will define a 2D grid around the collection of polylines and then I can move control points on the border to stretch them like a bezier curve's control points.

TurboCAD Pro Platinum V21.2 Build 59.0, 64-bit
i5-661, 16GB, GeForce GTX-650 2GB
Windows Home Premium 7
CAD operator since 1985
TurboCAD user since v8

* January 09, 2018, 10:23:09 PM
See the Edit Tool in the Help and its sub-sections.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* January 10, 2018, 09:02:29 AM
Could you use the Text on a Curve tool?

Henry H

January 10, 2018, 12:53:29 PM
See the Edit Tool in the Help and its sub-sections.
I've used the Edit Tool extensively, especially with Bezier/Spline curves and polylines in particular.  And I did read up on the tool, but there's nothing there that will help in this case.
Could you use the Text on a Curve tool?
I suppose I could, but I'd have to generate a lot of curves - one for each line of text, just so subtly different than its neighbor.  Sounds very tedious.
Currently, I have all the text converted to polylines and grouped into one group.  It seems like there should be a tool where you would be given a tool with a grid placed over your selected objects, where you could adjust the number of nodes horizontally and vertically on that grid, as if the edges were splines.  And then when you drag one of those control points, all the objects inside would distort accordingly.  Photoshop has a tool like this, but the results are pixelated.  I need to keep vectors for the laser cutter.
If it takes too much time to do this, the customer is not going to be interested in that type of cost.

Windows Home Premium 7
CAD operator since 1985
TurboCAD user since v8

* January 10, 2018, 03:30:00 PM
I have a client who needs me to stretch some text.  He needs stensils that will be cut on a laser from flat hardboard.  The final is 2D but the text needs to look curved, like its wrapping around the page in an open book, toward the spline of the book, looking 3D without being 3D.

I assume the first step is converting the text to polylines, which I have no problem with.  I keep imagining that there might be a tool in TurboCAD that will define a 2D grid around the collection of polylines and then I can move control points on the border to stretch them like a bezier curve's control points.

TC 2016and 2017 has a "Bend by path" tool.
The only problem is that there are at least 1000 ways to bend an object  ;D
Attached is using the tool on the letter C
thank goodness for the part tree,eh  :)

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

January 10, 2018, 03:55:48 PM
Love the Part Tree!  I'll have to try your suggestion.

Windows Home Premium 7
CAD operator since 1985
TurboCAD user since v8