TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Using simple mathematical formulas to input lengths, positions etc......
Read 1259 times
January 08, 2018, 12:15:48 PM
I am use to using simple math to locate holes or line lengths in just about every program I have ever used. Now when I want to make a line as long as the length of 2 circle diameters I have to go to a calculator, add the numbers and then input into TC. I am used to entering a line length, diameter, position etc, as 1.284+ .764 and hitting enter, the software automatically calculates and the input changes to 2.048, If you try with TC you get a value of "0". This would be an easy and very helpful to do. It speeds work up and no longer the need to have construction lines everywhere.

Just one of many wishes.

Don Pillow
TurboCad Platinum Pro 2016, 2017, BobCad 30-4 Axis, ArtCam, AutoDesk Fusion and Inventor,  Affinity Designer, VariCad 2017, Sketchup 2017, Rhinoceros V5
HMSAdviser  and Predator CNC Editor
+ a lot of Photo Editing and Astronomy Software
www.dp-designs.biz

* January 08, 2018, 01:25:14 PM
What version of TurboCAD are you using?

Have you tried using the LTE interface?

Maths: Pi x Radius equals the circles circumference then multiply by 2. That should be your line length.

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is best

* January 08, 2018, 02:02:19 PM
I get what you're saying pt. You're right, that would be a good feature.  I try to enter values that way myself sometimes, hoping tha somehow, magically, just this one time, it might work. Never does.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 08, 2018, 02:36:59 PM
That would be a useful feature. As a workaround, you can use the Variables palette. For example, open the Variables palette and type an expression (such as 2*22.6*pi) in the top window of the palette. Press Enter, highlight the result, press Ctrl+C to copy it, start the Line tool, TAB to the Length window of the Inspector Bar, press Ctrl+V to paste it.

Henry H

* January 08, 2018, 08:33:06 PM
I think this would be very useful.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* January 09, 2018, 10:12:07 AM
I am use to using simple math to locate holes or line lengths in just about every program I have ever used. Now when I want to make a line as long as the length of 2 circle diameters I have to go to a calculator, add the numbers and then input into TC. I am used to entering a line length, diameter, position etc, as 1.284+ .764 and hitting enter, the software automatically calculates and the input changes to 2.048, If you try with TC you get a value of "0". This would be an easy and very helpful to do. It speeds work up and no longer the need to have construction lines everywhere.

Just one of many wishes.

Here's a simple script with some added features. using the PPM editor, accepts arithmetic notation.
Ex:
.326 radius circle is at 2,2 (x,y)
Script will draw a line the length of the circle's circumference at the center of the circle and the circle's reference point will follow.
>see the formula for calculating the Line length at the top of the script.
There's a lot of info in the Pdf help to get started.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

January 09, 2018, 11:57:24 AM
Its not just for line length/diameter but any inputs that are dimensional. I use it all the time in Creo and BobCad. if you need to move something 7/64 ( or need a hole that size) its nice to just input 7/64 and get the value instead of looking it up if you can't pull it off the top of your head.

I will check out the PDF Dean, thanks. There is just a lot to forget and re-learn for me, I have used creo 5 days a week since it was ProEngineer and BobCad at home since '04.

I am using TC Plat Pro 2017 with a few plug-ins.  I see what people can do with it and know I could do also. Its just 20+ years of training that I have to forget. I can pretty much create with my eyes closed using creo and I hope to get there with TC. Now that I am retired I need something other than BobCad-which I use to generate my 4 axis gcode, but it does not do assemblies.

This is very nice software for the money and I will get proficient. I have done some very detailed assemblies with hundreds of parts. My drone designs get more and more involved and I hope to be showing them off in TC files soon.

my facebook page DP Designs, llc (www.facebook.com/dpdesignsmi/) has some of the designs I have done at my home business.

Don Pillow

Don Pillow
TurboCad Platinum Pro 2016, 2017, BobCad 30-4 Axis, ArtCam, AutoDesk Fusion and Inventor,  Affinity Designer, VariCad 2017, Sketchup 2017, Rhinoceros V5
www.dp-designs.biz

* January 09, 2018, 12:32:09 PM
Its not just for line length/diameter but any inputs that are dimensional. I use it all the time in Creo and BobCad. if you need to move something 7/64 ( or need a hole that size) its nice to just input 7/64 and get the value instead of looking it up if you can't pull it off the top of your head.

I will check out the PDF Dean, thanks. There is just a lot to forget and re-learn for me, I have used creo 5 days a week since it was ProEngineer and BobCad at home since '04.

I am using TC Plat Pro 2017 with a few plug-ins.  I see what people can do with it and know I could do also. Its just 20+ years of training that I have to forget. I can pretty much create with my eyes closed using creo and I hope to get there with TC. Now that I am retired I need something other than BobCad-which I use to generate my 4 axis gcode, but it does not do assemblies.

This is very nice software for the money and I will get proficient. I have done some very detailed assemblies with hundreds of parts. My drone designs get more and more involved and I hope to be showing them off in TC files soon.

my facebook page DP Designs, llc (www.facebook.com/dpdesignsmi/) has some of the designs I have done at my home business.

Don Pillow
Ok, Don,

If you want simpler try using the "LTE" config.
EX.
select line tool
click at start point
length field is active
type in your formula 1.284+.764 then Tab to the angle field and you'll see the length field update with the value.

Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

January 09, 2018, 02:00:12 PM
Thats great but why not have that in their top of the line software too? I'm just saying. I do sheet metal, large assemblies and animation and don't think lte would be good enough.

Don Pillow
www.dp-designs.biz

* January 09, 2018, 02:57:58 PM
Thats great but why not have that in their top of the line software too? I'm just saying. I do sheet metal, large assemblies and animation and don't think lte would be good enough.

They do have it in Platinum, Don
You need to switch to it.
Go to  Tools > Customize
Next to the default style change the default workspace to LTE workspace
Load one of the LTE config's

* January 09, 2018, 08:24:15 PM
And if you don't like  the lte workspace?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

January 10, 2018, 01:12:20 PM
Hey, Im willing to try anything that gets me to where I want to be. There is so much to this software. I spent  20+ years with ProE and still just scratch the surface. But thats what its all about, always learning and trying something new.

Don Pillow
www.dp-designs.biz

January 10, 2018, 04:24:30 PM
Dean

I see I can set up LTE to look just like the Pro mode then just save it. I did notice on the tool pallet there was no 3D? I did add the 3d create and modify to the tools but just wondering if in LTE are there functions that can't be used?

Don

Don Pillow
www.dp-designs.biz