TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Required IQ or patience level to use turbocad
Read 291 times
* January 04, 2018, 01:56:53 PM
Wow is this software a challenge.
You must have either a very high IQ, or the patience of a saint.
I am trying to do what should be quite simple things and getting nowhere.

* January 04, 2018, 05:31:07 PM
So post a picture or file so that we can help or explain in some detail what your trying to achieve???

Thanks Daz ( Darryl )
Using TCW 2015, 2016 & 2017 Platinum, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3300Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is best

* January 04, 2018, 06:26:01 PM
I would agree-- I would say that it does take at least average intelligence and patience to become at least moderately proficient with TurboCAD or any CAD program without giving up trying to learn.  Or just gotta want it real, real, bad.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 04, 2018, 06:29:19 PM
I am trying to do what should be quite simple things and getting nowhere.

My IQ doesn't fall in the very high range. My first version of TC was v7 circa 2001. I started by trying all the basic tools lines, rectangles, circles etc. And asking questions on this forum. You'll be surprised how much help you'll get if you approach things with a positive attitude. Everybody here started TC with the same knowledge you had when you started. It's a learning curve, the farther
you go the easier it gets. Ask questions, have fun.

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* January 04, 2018, 06:58:45 PM
Maybe the way you're trying to do those simple things isn't the way that TC does them?  There's a workaround...

* January 04, 2018, 11:02:05 PM
I think all cad programs are difficult. But with perseverance anyone can do this.
The trick is to start simple. No one learns to ride a bicycle before they learn to walk.
I found turbocad easy to learn but I had previous experience with autocad.
 I also started using autocad when it was a straightforward 2d program.
Start with 2d. Learn the basics
Lines circles shapes.
Once you have mastered those move onto the basic editing tools.
copy, move, mirror trim.
Watch simple tutorials which show one command at a time. Practice each task until you have mastered it then move on to the next one.
Once you know most of the basic tools. Try a more complicated 2d tutorial. or start a project of your own.
When you are comfortable with 2d commands move on to 3d. Start from the basics again.
Ask lots of questions here and read the forum regularly. Try to answer the questions others ask - even if it is only in your head-
read everyone else's solutions. Try all those solutions see what works best for you.
It takes years and lots of hours to learn the whole program. You might never learn everything because you don't need all the tools to be productive.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* January 05, 2018, 01:09:29 AM
I am trying to model an old car. And I have used cad before but not daily.
My first thought where to sweep a curve along a profile and use that to cut from a solid( cannot do this as I get the self intersecting warning) my next approach is to sketch sections vertically along the length and loft them then I can happily loft one section to the next (and get a straight loft) but if I try and do a loft of all shapes in one go it doesn't let me(I need to do this because I want the curves)
Aaarrrgh so frustrating.

* January 05, 2018, 02:57:37 AM
You shouldn't have a problem with lofting but there are a few advisory rules.

Draw the most complex curve first using as few nodes as possible.
Use make copy tool to copy this first profile to however many stations are needed (then turn off make copy)
Node edit the profiles to the final shape ensuring not to add nor delete any nodes, and trying to keep the nodes from making too sharp a detour from one profile to the next.
Do not mirror copy any profile.

If you can post an image or file of where you are up to, there are plenty of people on here who can advise on lofting.

* January 05, 2018, 08:26:34 AM
I strongly endorse Andy's advice. Be advised that the project you have chosen to undertake is really quite difficult. Expect lots of trial-and-error.

Henry H

* January 05, 2018, 09:15:46 AM
This is what I am trying to model
If anyone has any ideas.

I take it mirror copy is a No no because the axis get flipped. Why does the profile have to be a clone of the previous one?  Is this because TC is trying to match nodes to nodes?

Thanks again

* January 05, 2018, 01:18:41 PM
This is what I am trying to model
If anyone has any ideas.

I take it mirror copy is a No no because the axis get flipped. Why does the profile have to be a clone of the previous one?  Is this because TC is trying to match nodes to nodes?

Thanks again

i wouldn't say it's a "No no"  it's not all that simple  ;D
For instance >
If working in 3D selector mode and in the selector 3d properties under manipulation "safe ucs mode" is checked.
You should be able to mirror copy 2D and 3d entiities without the axis being flipped.

IF "safe ucs mode" is un-checked then you can mirror copy a 2d object while in 2d select mode without the axis being flipped.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:20:45 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

January 05, 2018, 04:10:34 PM

Speaking from experience, an average IQ and somewhat saintly level of patience will be adequate.  ;)

What is really helpful is a beginning-to-end tutorial, such as those that Don Cheke sells at http://www.textualcreations.ca/Textual%20Creations%20Shopping%20Page.html.  Get one that is for your TurboCAD version (or possibly a later one, but not an earlier one because he writes these tutorials to demonstrate new functions).  Don has also been quite helpful when I have encountered problems (this can happen with different installations on different computers).  Don also posts video tutorials on YouTube, but those are better suited for people who already have a handle on TurboCAD's basic-to-moderate functionality.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* January 17, 2018, 07:53:06 AM
I began by crafting Medieval-ish add-ons using the TC Deluxe bundled with my classic 'FloorPlan'. Yes, that TC had the legacy 3D Boolean mesh-bug and, often locked up my work-flow. I also used Poser 4, which allowed me to export scenes and modules from both FP & TC, populate them with higher-poly figures...

Due to a Spring storm and a batch of too-cheap drives, my sprawling project literally 'crashed & burned'. I did salvage a lot of files, but could not afford replacement hardware for almost a decade. During this time, all my software became too old to qualify for discounted upgrades....

( I'll not rant that the 'new' FP was still not back-compatible; This is only my first post this time around, and I've found another program for that task...  ;))

IMHO, you need a lot of screen edge to park TC's many tool-bars.

Even a 'pre-loved' second screen, perhaps driven from a USB widget, is well worth the desk-space. I had two identical screens running off matched Nvidia Gigabyte cards. This DIY 'CAD Tower' has three wider screens running off a matched pair of Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti 'Twin DVI' cards. 'Gotcha' is Gigabyte's bundled Win'10 driver is optimised for gaming, will NOT play nicely with third screen. You must install Nvidia's *generic' driver which can handle four or more.

FWIW, I'm adding a DVI switch box to co-opt the smaller screen on adjacent 'Browser PC, hopefully making '4-up'...

Hide most of the 'advanced ' tool-bars lest you need GPS to navigate the rest. Increase the size of the others until you can actually see their iddy-biddy, teeny-weeny icons.

Then, fetch up one of the screen-templates that has multiple views. Unless your project is purely 2D, you'll probably need XYZ orthogonals plus perspective for navigation, plus a larger, 'WIP' view to tackle detail without getting lost...

Please give some thought to why you're using TC for a 'clay-carving' task. Yes, use TC to populate the drive-line, layers of tech 'stuff' etc, but a free or budget 3D 'artistic' program may be a better fit to crafting the body-shell. Do check mesh cross-compatibility lest you paint yourself into an exasperating corner...