TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Question: How to split 3D spline or polyline?
Read 347 times
* January 04, 2018, 11:53:29 AM
I'm trying to loft the surface of a model of an old 1930s race car in TC Pro 2017.  For the cockpit section, the front edge is defined by a polyline with arcs and straight lines, all in a single plane.  The middle section is defined by a 3D polyline that is in 3 planes.  The rear edge is defined by a 3D spline by fit points, about 50 points, but the points don't lie in a plane or even a few planes, the spline snakes all over.  I was hoping to loft it in strips, but I can't see how to split a 3D polyline or 3D spline at a node.  I tried exploding the 3D polyline and then rejoining some pieces, but they won't rejoin. Am I forced to re-enter the 3D polyline in discrete pieces, by plane?  Is there some way to "snip" a 3D spline at a node?

* January 04, 2018, 12:44:41 PM
I'm trying to loft the surface of a model of an old 1930s race car in TC Pro 2017.  For the cockpit section, the front edge is defined by a polyline with arcs and straight lines, all in a single plane.  The middle section is defined by a 3D polyline that is in 3 planes.  The rear edge is defined by a 3D spline by fit points, about 50 points, but the points don't lie in a plane or even a few planes, the spline snakes all over.  I was hoping to loft it in strips, but I can't see how to split a 3D polyline or 3D spline at a node.  I tried exploding the 3D polyline and then rejoining some pieces, but they won't rejoin. Am I forced to re-enter the 3D polyline in discrete pieces, by plane?  Is there some way to "snip" a 3D spline at a node?

They should rejoin if you enable the "2D/3D" option when using the Join Polyline tool. (Works for me.) I'd suggest temporarily placing the pieces you don't want to rejoin on an invisible layer.

Henry H