TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

wrapping
Read 1391 times
* January 02, 2018, 05:46:46 PM
well you can see I am in trouble after a week of trying I am about to give up .I have Windows 10 andCAD21. I  have tried following Henry's arbitrary plane page16. I have tried to follow instructions of Don.s Tut Trade show booth page135.My  thinking is I should move on But how I hate this to beat me Happy new Year every Neville R

* January 02, 2018, 06:25:40 PM
Neville, is it feasible for you to post a .tcw drawing that contains only the 3D object shown in your post, along with the image that you're trying to wrap?

Henry H

* January 03, 2018, 03:08:09 PM
Henry I tried to send file but it was 11 MB so of course it did not work. now i will make new file copy Cadillac with my  body then another file with what i am trying wrap.I cut the sign off the van in Photoshop. Fingers need to crossed Neville

* January 03, 2018, 03:47:16 PM
Henry I have used an old file for this van deleted everything . Then copied this in .Henry I was going to wrap to a piece and place on side side.I have inserted the sign JPG. If this does work i will send sign separately.Thanking you Neville R

* January 03, 2018, 04:21:27 PM
Henry I have used an old file for this van deleted everything . Then copied this in .Henry I was going to wrap to a piece and place on side side.I have inserted the sign JPG. If this does work i will send sign separately.Thanking you Neville R

The .jpg didn't arrive, Neville. Guess you'll have to post it separately.

Henry H

* January 05, 2018, 12:03:35 PM
Maybe like this ...?

Henry H

* January 05, 2018, 04:11:23 PM
Sending JPG separately Henry .Neville

* January 05, 2018, 04:37:52 PM
Sending JPG separately Henry .Neville

I had to edit the jpg somewhat, Neville, to straighten it and to fix the missing portion of the text.

Henry H

* January 06, 2018, 02:51:39 PM
Yes Henry this is what I would like to be able to do
Neville.

* January 07, 2018, 09:44:29 AM
While there are several ways to approach this task, here’s how I proceeded. If you wish to duplicate the procedure, be sure to follow it exactly.

Make a copy of the body and place it on Layer 0. Turn OFF the visibility of the “body 2” Layer. Go to Isometric SE view. Activate the Facet Editor tool and hover the cursor over the left side of the body. Click the left mouse button when that face of the body becomes outlined in green. Go to Modify>Modify 3D Objects>Create Surface>From Face(s). The rest of the body will disappear, leaving only this one face.

Click the Selector 3D Properties icon on the Inspector Bar and set both Extents CS and Inspector Bar CS to “User CS.”

Switch to Front view and Workplane by View. Draw a 3D Box, 36mm in the X direction, 13mm in the Y direction, and about 10mm in the Z direction. Still working in the Front view, place the Box where you want the sign to be on the body. Go to Left Side view and move the Box in the Z direction so that it intersects the body.

Create a new material, using “Wrapped image” or “Wrapped filtered image” Pattern, choosing “XXXX Sign3.jpg” as the image. Use “Arbitrary Plane” Wrapping, with Scale = 36; Aspect Ratio = 0.36; Origin = -18,-6.5,0; Normal vector = 0,0,1; Up = 0,1,0. Leave Transparency and Texture at “None” and use whatever Reflectance you like. (I used “Plastic.”)

Open the Materials palette and assign this new material to the 3D Box.

Select the face you made from the car body, right-click in the Materials palette, and select “Set ‘None’.” 3D-Intersect the Box with the car body face, being sure to click on the Box first. The result will be a rectangular “sign” that conforms exactly to the shape of the car body.

Move this new object 0.1mm in the Z direction of the current Workplane so it won’t be buried in the car body. Restore the visibility of the “body 2” Layer and place the new object on this Layer. You can either Group the sign with the body or 3D-Add the sign to the body. If you use 3D Add, be sure to click on the sign first.

Henry H

* January 07, 2018, 10:04:31 AM
Maybe this link will be helpful…
XXXX QLD BEER CADILLAC VAN LIMITED EDITION SOLIDO DIECAST
Click on the picture to view full-size and scroll through the other pix.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* January 07, 2018, 05:04:55 PM
John R. This the toy I used to draw from.Neville R
Yes Henry this is what I would like to be able to do .Thank you for your assistance
Neville.

* January 08, 2018, 10:20:52 AM
well you can see I am in trouble after a week of trying I am about to give up .I have Windows 10 andCAD21. I  have tried following Henry's arbitrary plane page16. I have tried to follow instructions of Don.s Tut Trade show booth page135.My  thinking is I should move on But how I hate this to beat me Happy new Year every Neville R

HI,
In this case >
another way is to use the 'decal reflectance' with a 'wrapped square" transparency.
You'll get a "base" and "Decal" shader"
You can re-position/re-size the decal.
All I did was assign the material to the entire side of the object with the facet editor.
Lightworks help has some good info on it and thanks to John R for creating  the tutorial file "testing materials" which does contain the shader.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* January 16, 2018, 05:37:33 PM
Still in trouble Henry. I am getting  the message in material Henry H (this is what i called the item) texture space sharer not set Material contains wrapping image shades  To work correctly it needs to be set textures  pace shader distinct from none.So  i am still lost henry.
Neville R

* January 16, 2018, 07:23:01 PM
Still in trouble Henry. I am getting  the message in material Henry H (this is what i called the item) texture space sharer not set Material contains wrapping image shades  To work correctly it needs to be set textures  pace shader distinct from none.So  i am still lost henry.
Neville R

I've seen that message too, Neville, and it simply is not true. Tell the program to go ahead and render anyway.

I rendered using LightWorks, Neville. If you're using LW too, then be sure the material for the sign uses "Arbitrary Plane" Wrapping, as I outlined in my Reply No. 9. If you're using Redsdk, we'll have to hope that someone else can help, 'cuz I can't.

Henry H

Henry H
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:59:34 PM by Henry Hubich »

* January 16, 2018, 10:20:33 PM
Henry thank you for the reply. I am using LW in 21.    I will try again. I bought 2015 but i refuse to pay more for LW.So now I do not update.Neville Redding

* January 20, 2018, 05:55:15 PM
Henry H yes your instructions did work and it did wrap. I was in trouble when I copied and placed in the o  layer it did not copy and just transferred the body to layer 0.So the body was  gone. however not to worry I copied and pasted from recent save as.It I thought it was not working ,but yes it was there when I turned the body layer on. I have printed and laminated your instructions for further reference so thank you and the forum once more. Neville R

* January 20, 2018, 06:20:23 PM
Henry H yes your instructions did work and it did wrap. I was in trouble when I copied and placed in the o  layer it did not copy and just transferred the body to layer 0.So the body was  gone. however not to worry I copied and pasted from recent save as.It I thought it was not working ,but yes it was there when I turned the body layer on. I have printed and laminated your instructions for further reference so thank you and the forum once more. Neville R

Glad to hear that you've got it working, Neville.

Henry H